• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Perseus Books Group / Running Press / Avalon Travel / Argo Navis

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
[Publisher] Perseus Book Group

Has anyone sent stuff to them or sold a book to them? I know they are credible, but I was wondering what it was like to work with them. Also, did you have an agent when you worked with them? Thanks.

http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are already four other threads on Perseus and its imprints. Please add your question(s) to one of them.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I only saw one other and it talked about being in the UK. This is not in the UK. And the other thread was so old and did not address anything I am saying here. If anyone anyone can help me out by posting here, that would be great. Thanks.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I only saw one other and it talked about being in the UK. This is not in the UK. And the other thread was so old and did not address anything I am saying here.

I think you might have clicked on the wrong links--there was a thread on them from mid-March here, with posts from someone who had been offered a contract.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, IceCream. I guess I missed that because it was about Running Press. I am most interested in DaCapo and Public Affairs. If anyone has personal experience with either, please post or contact me. Thanks.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Adding Vanguard Press

I'm not sure if this is recent, but Perseus Books Group now has a Vanguard Press imprint. This is not to be confused with the vanity press of the same (or a similar) name.

Here is the link:
http://www.vanguardpressbooks.com/home.php

So far, I've seen a new David Morrell hardback thriller put out by Vanguard, as well as the latest Steve Alten "Meg" book. However, they do not accept unsolicited manuscripts or book proposals. I just thought it would be nice to add them in case anyone was searching for information or a link. And if they can write like David Morrell, they should be able to find an agent who will be glad to submit their novels for them. :)

Edited to Add: They might be fairly new to this as they don't seem to cover thrillers in the Perseus newsletters.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
And then the EiC of Running Press, Christopher Navratil, chose to be a jerk and essentially lie about what actually happened.
Yeah, that was handled well by him, wasn't it? :rolleyes

And I really wish Publisher's Weekly would do something about the font color of blog comments. The first one comes out well, and the rest are hard to read. I've seen that before on their site, but in this case, at least one poster thought it was done on purpose, so that posts that didn't support the original were harder to read.

This has some interesting updates and/or responses to what was said:
http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/967002.html

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Christopher Navratil just gave the world a lesson in how to resurrect a story that looked to be dead and make yourself look like an imcompetent hypocrite at the same time. Way to go, Chris!

MM

jonaki

Almost Famous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teabuddy.wordpress.com
Has anybody heard of the new hybrid program from Perseus. They will print agented books (agents sign up with them) the royalty split it 70% (author) 30% publisher (where and how does the agent get paid?). The writer pays upfront for print (in that sense it is like self pubbing) only diff is that the book bears a "real" publisher's label. Here is NYT link with details. I am totally confused.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/03/b...vice-for-authors-seeking-to-self-publish.html

jonaki

Almost Famous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teabuddy.wordpress.com
Cao,
I read this link but there is nothing more about them except for the media blitz/announcement back in Oct 2011. Are they the same as Argo Navis Publishing? The websites look completely different. Here is the link.http://argonavispublishing.com/
Is this one part of Perseus as well. I am really confused.
Thanks Y'all for any feedback you may have.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
[Distributor] Argo Navis Author Services

I did a search and didn't come up with this name, but if they have been covered before I hope a kindly mod will merge.

I read this article about Argo Navis and that several top literary agencies are referring their clients there. This is Argo Navis's "Who We Are" page. I have no idea if there is any veracity or credibility to Mr Gaughran's article, but I am concerned that this a) doesn't represent a good deal for writers, and b) that reputable agents would be referring their clients to Argo Navis on the terms Mr Gaughran describes.

Of course, if the article is entirely unfounded, feel free to delete. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to these things so this may be a great deal. Just wanted to share my concerns in case there is something in it. :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It bills itself as a distribution/marketing service for self-publishers, but as it also offers editing, etc., it looks more like a vanity arm for Perseus Books Group.