Picture Book University

pammiechick

Registered
Reaction score
For all picture book writers. I'm posting a free mini workshop on my blog called Picture Book University. If you'd like to participate, you can grab my button and post on your blog or announce on FB for a chance to win a free critique or one of my books.

http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/2013/07/pbu-participant-button-and-critique.html

I'm also doing pb analyses that are a little different from a regular review. You can check out the first two:

http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/2013/06/picture-book-analysis-nugget-and-fang.html

http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/search/label/picture book analysis

More are on the way.

BTW, I've been a longtime member here since 2005, but my account got messed up. I'm by no means a fly by night poster!

:)

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fly by night poster? Not just here to do Self Promo? Okay. How did your account get messed up? Perhaps we can sort it out for you.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Hi there!

I remember your book from the Verla Kay message boards. (We also read it in my preschool class during P week.)

Hope you get your account issues straightened out.

pammiechick

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they were supposed to link my account to my old one. Here's one of my posts: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=206767&postcount=10

I'm pam in a former Absolute Write life. :)

It got messed up because I had originally (a very long time ago) used my old spamfilter email address and the website no longer accepts these types of emails.

Anyway...you can either look at these posts or not. It's a free workshop--I'm giving back the knowledge I've gained over the years. It's amazing the mean spin this place puts on someone. Wow.

Thank you, Katrina. If they don't link my account, it's fine with me. I originally stopped coming here because of the treatment I received with regard to my former agent. I think I made a wise decision on not venturing back, but thought there may be other picture book writers that might like the information.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Anyway...you can either look at these posts or not. It's a free workshop--I'm giving back the knowledge I've gained over the years. It's amazing the mean spin this place puts on someone. Wow.

Thank you, Katrina. If they don't link my account, it's fine with me. I originally stopped coming here because of the treatment I received with regard to my former agent. I think I made a wise decision on not venturing back, but thought there may be other picture book writers that might like the information.

Your input is much appreciated, and there's plenty of good stuff there. (Part of my job is editing picture books.) If we seem stern or wary sometimes, it's because we see spammers, or people trying to use the community to puff their blogs, on a fairly regular basis, which is a no-no; and a post #1 with a bunch of links is usually how they present themselves. Please don't take it personally, and do stick around.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Hi Pam

I couldn't merge the accounts until you'd actually posted from the new one I'm off to do that now.

And I suspect part of the problem before was that your previous agency was not exactly a stellar performer in terms of public relations.

I note, by the way, that the local librarian has one of your books up in the current picture book display for parents wanting to read to their kids; that's pretty cool.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
pammiechick while I think your blog is great, you really need to participate in the community in ways other than posting links to your blog.

That said, please don't use link shortners, like tiny URL. Just create a link using the link tool as explained here.

People are going to be suspicious of link shortners because they can't tell where the link is going, and also, the link may stop working eventually. They aren't permanent.

We don't allow them to be used on AW.

Please edit your posts with the link shorteners and engage more with the community in ways that don't involve your blog.

Thanks-

Last edited:

pammiechick

Registered
Reaction score
Um...okay. I thought this was a service to your readers. I'm sorry, but I'm very busy. When things pop up from time to time, I will post as I have with my opinion about ICL, etc.

Don't worry. The vibe around here is not welcoming. You may delete the whole thread if you wish.

Good luck with your writing endeavors.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Um...okay. I thought this was a service to your readers. I'm sorry, but I'm very busy. When things pop up from time to time, I will post as I have with my opinion about ICL, etc.

Don't worry. The vibe around here is not welcoming. You may delete the whole thread if you wish.

Good luck with your writing endeavors.

Though people learn things on forums, it's a social place more than a service. It's not really a good idea to turn up to a social gathering assuming it'll be unwelcoming, the people will be unfriendly and you'll have a bad time. Which is exactly how you came across: that you'd already decided the forum was a bad place before posting. And it became self-fulfilling, because it meant you wouldn't talk to people. And it's why I didn't talk to you, because the atmosphere was already tense from the first post.

If you want to turn it around, think less about needing time for opinions and tutorials. Just post something in a silly thread and get to know people. Or reply to someone that said hi by saying hi back. It can short and simply. But it has to come from a place of assuming most people aren't trying to be unfriendly (even if they don't always hit the nail on the head).

pammiechick

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's the difference between here and another message board I DO participate in and frequent. The writers there are all serious and guess what? They get published all the time. And there isn't anyone trying to run off a serious writer with rules that are obviously for scammers or spammers. Nor is there an attitude. When I first posted I was jumped upon. The only reason I posted initially was because I thought some people here might want the resource. It's free. I could easily charge a lot of money for something like this as Picture Book Academy does. Expertise is paid for, but I want to give back.

If the membership here only wants to goof around and be social. Fine. I get it. But if they want to really get published and be serious about their careers, then my advice is to not run off good people who are trying to help them.

You guys have fun!!!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Pammiechick, could you edit your link in post 11 of this thread so it isn't using tinyurl, as AW Admin asked. Many thanks.

That said, please don't use link shortners, like tiny URL. Just create a link using the link tool as explained here.

People are going to be suspicious of link shortners because they can't tell where the link is going, and also, the link may stop working eventually. They aren't permanent.

We don't allow them to be used on AW.

Please edit your posts with the link shorteners and engage more with the community in ways that don't involve your blog.

Thanks-

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to turn it around, think less about needing time for opinions and tutorials. Just post something in a silly thread and get to know people. Or reply to someone that said hi by saying hi back. It can short and simply. But it has to come from a place of assuming most people aren't trying to be unfriendly (even if they don't always hit the nail on the head).

I recommend critiquing stuff in SYW, as well. It's a great learning experience for all involved. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I recommend critiquing stuff in SYW, as well. It's a great learning experience for all involved. :)

It's good for learning... but critiquing isn't a good starting point for someone who is already feeling defensive. It works best when people enter into it feeling positive. Critiques may well be bluntly honest, but they shouldn't come from a place of disliking the person posting the work or the community.

Which is why for most people, getting to know the community is important. I'd also argue it's a good skill for professionals, because writers do have to interact with others, from editors to fans.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
It's good for learning... but critiquing isn't a good starting point for someone who is already feeling defensive.

You have a fair point there. I had recommended SYW because pammiechick said (if I understood her correctly)she was looking for a degree of seriousness from members here. Aside from perhaps P&CE, I think SYW is about the most serious place you'll find on AW. :)