New York Times article on memoirs

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the article. Considering that my manuscript is being read by agents (and rejected by some others), I hope I don't fall into those pit traps. I think the author made some valid points--how many books on certain subjects saturate the market. I guess when consumers stop buying.

Winterwind

Just hanging out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fromunderthedarkcloud.blogspot.com
Thanks for posting that article.

Of course, I am working on a memoir/biography. (It's really about my best friend, but through my memories and conversations with others)

He makes points that I will keep in mind as I write. Even if I never submit it, I realized a while ago that I am really writing it for me and close family. If I can avoid the pitfalls and get it published, then: Bonus!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. I bookmarked it.

I too am writing a memoir, but in a different vein than the ones he listed. Mine leans more towards Bill Bryson than Allan Shawn. If nothing else I hope to make people smile. :)

ETA: So much for bookmarking it. I went back to it and I now need to open an account to access the article. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Last edited:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I realized a while ago that I am really writing it for me and close family.

You're so lucky. I wish I could say I was writing for the pure joy of writing. For me it has been a compulsive need to get my story onto paper (or computer screen) and finally have my say. The crazy part is, most of what happened finished up 15 years ago, but only now did I decide it's time to tell.

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
Thank you for posting the link to that article. After reading it, I think I'm okay when it comes to the memoir I wrote. Let's go through the questionaire...

1. I've lived through (and continue to live in) interesting times. I've also had a very unique privilege, which is what makes the story work memoiring
2. I censored all the private angst that wasn't germane to what the story was about-nobody cares
3. I'll be driving the bandwagon, nobody else has written about the particular disaster, yet.
4. I wrote it in third person because it's about other people than just me.

Thanks again,

Focus

JulieBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Interested and harsh - I think what the author failed to recognize is the difference between a memoir and an autobiography. You don't need to be "famous" to write a memoir - different than an autobiography that is typically a recap of one's life - a celebrity or famous person.

And people DO love to read about other people's misery - how many successful memoirs did not have some sort of obstacle to overcome... Kind of a personal attack if you ask me. Not that I am writing a memoir...

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
Interested and harsh - I think what the author failed to recognize is the difference between a memoir and an autobiography. You don't need to be "famous" to write a memoir - different than an autobiography that is typically a recap of one's life - a celebrity or famous person.

Exactly, JulieBeth, when it comes to "famous" people, the unauthorized biographies are usually far more interesting then their memoirs and autobiographies, as they tend to be sanitized and self-serving.

Would Joan Crawford's autobiography focusing on her movie career have been as hot a seller as "Mommie Dearest", which was written by her non-famous daughter.

Also, it is "ordinary people" experience extraordinary things in life, which gives them amazing stories to tell.

Focus

chasbaz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chasbaz.posterous.com
I liked the article and agreed with most of it. I think however, that if you must write a memoir, make it a very well-written one. That might just elevate it into a work of literature, and make it worth reading, whatever the subject matter. And think VERY carefully about your reason for writing it. Some years ago I wrote a memoir of my experiences at school. I put it on Facebook in the group to which many ex-pupils belong. Many of them liked it because it mirrored their own experiences and brought much back to them. There is no way I would think it was of interest to a wider audience. Maybe that is worth thinking about...

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
I have written a memoir that is currently in the hands of an agent that worked as an editor for Doubleday in NYC. He'd read 50 pages and asked for the entire manuscript. My book is not about needing someone to "feel sorry" for me. Instead I hope it will be a work of education for anyone who works with religion and psychology. I hope people will recognize the need for both in some cases. I was spiritually abused by a church who claimed I was demon-possessed and not saved.

In reading this article, yes, it was harsh, but I believe that is exactly what the author intended. He wanted to invoke anger, thought, and irony. We do all have a story we could tell, but we have to realize that the market is plum full with "like-minded" stories. If your story is "a dime a dozen" it won't sell. I've spoken with many authors, agents, and even a couple publishing lawyers in regards to a second memoir I'm writing. It's about a neighbor's divorce. "Divorce books are a dime a dozen" I've been told by all. The only thing that makes my story interesting, is that I am a woman, a wife, and a mother who is advocating for father's rights to custody for their children.

Both stories have a unique twist to them. If they didn't, nobody would be interested. I'm still learning the way things work and I take this article as another learning experience. When you are writing your own memoir, remember they must provide a new spin on an already used topic; something that hasn't been done before.

Last edited:

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
*as a note, I have never written a memoir, nor do I intend to*

I understand where the author of the article is coming from in writing this, but man oh man. The only thing more contrived about writing a book about an uninteresting life, is writing an article about books about uninteresting lives. Then again, I'm writing a forum post about an article writing about books about uninteresting lives.. I digress.

Regardless, no. 2 is just plain.. well, wrong. The 'penknife arm cut off' reference is to Aron Ralston, the rockclimber who got his arm stuck beneath a boulder, spent days without food and water, filmed his goodbye messages and carved his birthday and (expected) final day on earth on the boulder under which he was pinned. Eventually, something stirred in him, and he realized he wasn't ready. He broke his arm, cut it off, rapelled down a considerable distance, and hiked for miles until he encountered a family having a picnic.

I don't know about you, but I think that experience - both the physical, emotional, and (although I'm not a spiritual man) spiritual aspects of the tale make it worthy.

I know, I know - I'm being picky, but I didn't like that.

All in all though - a good article for ego-checking!

IDGS

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hi Rof, congratulations on you memoir coming this far!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I agree with you about the article and personally i liked it; it was thought-provoking. He wrote about the writers but what about the readers? it is a voyeuristic world we live in and as long as people buy memoirs, they will get written. so go right ahead with the one about your neighbour's divorce. good luck!

Birdy22

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the points made in the article. I've heard people say it doesn't matter what your memoir's about as long as it's well written. I disagree, I think you need to have an interesting story to tell. I read the article, feeling very confident that my life fell into the extremely unusual category, so it is thus worthy of being written about in a memoir.

LoLo

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the points made in the article. I've heard people say it doesn't matter what your memoir's about as long as it's well written. I disagree, I think you need to have an interesting story to tell. I read the article, feeling very confident that my life fell into the extremely unusual category, so it is thus worthy of being written about in a memoir.

I agree with you. I feel the same way about my memoir.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
It has to pass the "so what?" test. We all know people who have overcome odds. Your story has to have something beyond that. I too, agree with a lot of the article, but I don't like the book reviews within it. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, even writers for the NY Times. ~K

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
I can't help but wonder why Neil Genzingler, the author of the article, feels burdened by, and takes as a personal offense the stories people he doesn't even know choose to write? I mean really - why does he give a shit? Oh - maybe he thinks he's just not getting paid enough to read them...

I'm going to pretend like he's going to read this.

~1 "That you had parents and a childhood does not of itself qualify you to write a memoir." Uh - yeah, it does. Anything does that is personal and has a beginning, middle and end.
~2 "No one wants to relive your misery." Yes, they do. What is gossip? People are as addicted to other people's drama as they are to anything else.
~3 "If you’re jumping on a bandwagon, make sure you have better credentials than the people already on it. Imitation runs rampant in memoir land." Is it imitation or is it that many people have a lot of life experiences in common? Neil, are you bummin' because you can't find a unique sparkle in your own life? Get a load of this, Neil - your existence is miraculous in the first place.
~4 "If you still must write a memoir, consider making yourself the least important character in it." Why? So if you read it you won't be reminded of something about yourself that you feel isn't worthy to write about - yourself?

Thurrbbttt. Lighten up, man. And go read my memoir. It's really good. :)

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting article. Thanks for the link! I think it was overlooking my belief that, any topic, when done well, can make for a good memoir. For instance, some might say that Mary Karr's memoirs sounded dull and fit into the "difficult childhood" camp. But The Liar's Club and Cherry are so much more than that--they sing on the page because of how she writes them.

I also wish they'd devoted more time to discussing good memoirs and what makes a memoir really memorable. I can think of some of my favorites, some of which fit into their category of "overdone," but I'd love to hear more discussion of what makes a memoir good in the eyes of the public and critics and agents.

davem

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I too am writing a memoir, but in a different vein than the ones he listed. Mine leans more towards Bill Bryson than Allan Shawn.

Would Bryson's A walk in the Woods be considered a memoir? Or is there a more accurate classification for a book like that?

Thanks.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I laughed my ass off at this piece. I found it quite funny and true.

"No one wants to relive your misery. Say you get stuck under a rock and have to cut off your own arm to escape. If, as you’re using your remaining hand to write a memoir about the experience, your only purpose in doing so is to make readers feel the blade and scream in pain, you should stop. You’re a sadist, not a memoirist; you merely want to make readers suffer as you suffered, not entertain or enlighten them."

LOL

But if he was referring to the 127 hours. Which I think he was, I would disagree as that was an amazing story. The movie was interesting a little dry, but interesting.

Last edited:

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
"A moment of silence, please, for the lost art of shutting up."

LOL

I found what this article had to say hilariously true. Good stuff.

RunWrite

Registered
Reaction score
The trap is thinking that something is interesting just because it happened to you. Yawn. But there's a place for people who can write well about their lives. I say this out of self-interest because I'm peddling a memoir. But also because I'll bet even the writer of the NYT's piece has read a dozen memoirs that he's enjoyed or found enriching in some way. Why, I'll bet he'll even write one himself one day.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Would Bryson's A walk in the Woods be considered a memoir? Or is there a more accurate classification for a book like that?

Thanks.

hmmm, good question. Perhaps that one is more narrative non-fiction whereas "Neither Here Nor There" (which is exactly what my copy is since I can't find it) would be more travel memoir.

Bookchew

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
"No one wants to relive your misery." So many memoirs make this mistake.