Hello From The UK

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and Hampton Court Palace really is well worth the visit, just get there early otherwise you wont have time to see it all, and comfy shoes are a must.

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
OK thank you, it seems a lot further by car, i recently drove past on the way back from Cornwall and it seemed to take forever to get home from there.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on where in London you're starting from.
It is around 75 miles from Hyde Park Corner, it is around 60 miles from the edge of London

kahless

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're driving Stonehenge is on the A303, coming from London you'd pick up the M3 westbound which then becomes the A303.

If you're going to Stonehenge then you might as well pop into Salisbury for a look round it's a great city full of interesting places.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, we have a Salisbury suburb here in South Australia - it's full of retired people, government housing and just about every week you hear of a stabbing or drive-by-shooting or violent mugging in Salisbury. Of course, it is just about the biggest Suburb in Adelaide, but still... every week?

My grandparents used to live there before I was a teen. One weekend their german shepherd was out in the back yard, which leads out to the fenced-off driveway. Anyway, it's one of those metal-grate fences on rollers, which you can stick your hand through easily. Late on Saturday they went outside and found the dog passed out next to the gate with its tongue lolling out.

They took it to the vets and it turns out someone had poisoned it. Luckily they pumped his stomach and he survived for a good many years after that, but within about 6 months my grandparents had moved suburbs.

I think it's one of those suburbs where if you or someone you know lives there, you've almost certainly heard about despicable deeds.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
London is a HUGE city, it will all depend on when you're arriving and what you're looking to do. You can do touristy things for a week and still not have done half of it.

Confuse the Tourist Time!
The City of London is usually called the Square Mile - because that is all it is. Has its' own police force though. City Of Westminster is sort of next door to the City of London. Both have Lord Mayors. London has its' own Mayor - good ol' BoJo! The rest of London is a huge urban sprawl divided into boroughs and by the Thames.

If you do get to London and are staying check out the travel tickets you can get at TFL (Transport For London) an Oyster card can save a LOT of money on travel!

What? Go to England and drink Irish beer? Newcastle Brown Ale should be a suitable substitute, I suppose.

Try some of the English cyder - especially Aspalls if you can get it!

Like was said before, Stonehenge is a great disappointment.

Stonehenge creeped me out. I will not go back there. Nasty place.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with Slough? Isn't that where Mars Bars come from? A deep-fried delicacy up here. Allegedly.;)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
(first off, sorry if resurrecting older threads isn't allowed, I didn't want to start a new one if it already existed)

I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth) and I have to say that all you other non-norfolk Brits are just as furren as the proper furreners.

Especially if you come from Suffolk.

Anyway, my deep, abiding viciousness and mockery aside, it's nice to meet you all.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: from a furrener.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm doubly furren, as I live in London and I'm originally from the US.

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Hey welcome. I lived in Norfolk for three years, with a French name and an American accent. Always wondered why people started throwing holy water at me when I walked past ;) I think I might have met you at some wedding or other. When Rosie married her cousin and everyone thought she'd broken with local tradition for not marrying her brother.

Seriously, welcome. Seeing your post just really made me miss Norfolk. Keep making plans with my friends to come and visit them again, so we will see. One day soon, hopefully.

ETA: I have a weird history with Norfolk actually. First time I went there, was when I was 12. Great place.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Hey welcome. I lived in Norfolk for three years, with a French name and an American accent. Always wondered why people started throwing holy water at me when I walked past ;) I think I might have met you at some wedding or other. When Rosie married her cousin and everyone thought she'd broken with local tradition for not marrying her brother.

Seriously, welcome. Seeing your post just really made me miss Norfolk. Keep making plans with my friends to come and visit them again, so we will see. One day soon, hopefully.

ETA: I have a weird history with Norfolk actually. First time I went there, was when I was 12. Great place.

Oh, I love it here. Couldn't live anywhere else, not for long at least. Nowhere like it anywhere else.

LawlessLara

South the river this time of night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.logophile.blogfiction.net
I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth)

And people in North London :tongue

Hey fellow Brit and South Londoner. I loved the start that the British thread consists mostly of weather and confusing tourists.

Any Welshies in the room??

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What's wrong with Slough?

You've never been, have you?

When the worst thing ever happens to you, you can always say 'At least I'm not in Slough'. Unless you are, in which case, go ahead and cry.

And hi fellow Brits!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I think of my uni days based near Slough, it isn't Slough that pops into my mind - it's that beautiful town of Staines. Oh how my heart aches for that place...

Octopuddle

Happy Obsessive
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

The mere mention of Staines brings back a dreadful memory: three hours in a traffic jam absolutely bursting for a pee. Hell in a very small Toyota.

Hello, by the way. First time to the international boards. :) I'm in Devon.