Hello From The UK

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Another from Oxfordshire! Originally from the US, and was hesitant about chipping in on this board, but it looks like I'm here to stay now so thought I'd say hello!

On the topic of writing, could someone point me to any threads about agenting/publishing that are UK-specific? I'm trying to get a feel for the UK market vs the US. Cheers!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You are one of us now. You'll never escape...

*ominous Latin chanting rises, and candles begin flickering*

tanzmusik

omnishambles
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm from a place so Northern it's often mistaken for Hyperborea, but it's actually just Sunderland.

I see that you were once a Maccam, which means that officially I have to hate you. Sorry.

:)

The word is "Mackem", by the way, though many here actually hate the term. The forced hatred between Sunderland and Newcastle is the most tedious thing about living here, in my opinion.

caspermac

Registered
Reaction score
It's turned cold now up here in the Highlands of Scotland. I think winter is officially upon us. We had a good summer but I blinked and missed the autumn.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Heya, everyone!

I'm in the UK for a few days. Anyone fancy an impromptu meet-up in London?

Date: 28 September 2012
Day: Friday
Time: 12-ish

Exact Spot: Coffee shop just outside the front of the station (should be Costa Coffee, but it's on the right hand side or so).

Currently Going: Jimmy & Snitchcat.

If anyone has the time and would like to join us, please reply to this message, or PM me with contact details. :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread / PMs till Friday morning 8am local time. (I need to get to the station, too. :tongue)

Struthio

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Another Londoner here. Originally an Essex girl (no towie jokes, please!), I'm now rather at home on the other side of the M25.

Leesha

Registered
Reaction score
Small world - so am I. :)

Are you doing Nano this year? There's an event in the library on the 1st November, and then write-ins every Saturday of the month.

Wow Really? It is a small world. No I haven't heard of it, mind filling me in? I'm all new with this lol.

What do you write?

L

Leesha

Registered
Reaction score
Wow i never knew about it. I'll check out the link, thanks.

I write fantasy too. Have you posted any of your work on here?

Leesha

Registered
Reaction score
I'll check it out. I'd like to see the local competition lol :)

Leesha

Registered
Reaction score
good choice Cornwall is beautiful. Do you get yourself a Cornish Pasty lol

@ JimmyB27 - I have been laughing at your first episode especially when he was saying about his money back guarantee - haha - i like it.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
good choice Cornwall is beautiful. Do you get yourself a Cornish Pasty lol
Cornwall is a lovely place. And don't eat any pasty other than a fresh one from Cornwall.

@ JimmyB27 - I have been laughing at your first episode especially when he was saying about his money back guarantee - haha - i like it.
Thanks. :) I actually thought that bit was the weakest bit. Shows what I know. :tongue
My Nano project is a spin off from that story, incidentally. :)

Leesha

Registered
Reaction score
Cornwall is a lovely place. And don't eat any pasty other than a fresh one from Cornwall.

Thanks. :) I actually thought that bit was the weakest bit. Shows what I know. :tongue
My Nano project is a spin off from that story, incidentally. :)

Really? The way it is written, I can see him as he gives the guy the receipt lol, all panicky. I actually felt for the guy. The humor is good.

Shinkicker

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Edinburgh, although I'm from Glasgow. Hope you are all having a great weekend so far :)

Richard Shury

Registered
Reaction score
Heya! I am originally from New Zealand but have been in a the UK for seven years now, mostly in London. I think it can be hard being half the world away, but there are definitely a lot more opportunities here, both in writing and elsewhere. Although, as e-publishing gets bigger, I think that balance will alter.