Hello From The UK

kahless

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi There

Had a look through couldn't see that there was a UK thread (Mods - if there is please delete/merge this thread).

I'm based in Somerset in Southern England (the bit down a bit from Bristol, to the right of Devon and far left from London).

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Hey, going to get back to the UK in a month. I'll be in Reading, Berkshire. I just need to remember Kevlar. :)

Or as the MC in one of my favorite show shrieked to his parents: "When you moved, you had to move to bloody Reading!"

At lest it's not Slough, eh? :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome
Always good to have another Brit on board

Seb

Onward and upward...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and greetings from Clacton on Sea (having moved from Slough...) :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in your fine country by tomorrow morning. If it's not nice there...I'm blaming you! Oh, and welcome to the boards, even if I am just another rotten yank. :)

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in your fine country by tomorrow morning. If it's not nice there...I'm blaming you! Oh, and welcome to the boards, even if I am just another rotten yank. :)

Welcome to the UK. I'm sure it's sunny somewhere, you just might need to travel a bit.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the UK. I'm sure it's sunny somewhere, you just might need to travel a bit.

I have been to the UK a few times (well, only England really). I've always had great weather. I think the whole thing is one huge prank destined to keep furriners away. ;)

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I have been to the UK a few times (well, only England really). I've always had great weather. I think the whole thing is one huge prank destined to keep furriners away. ;)

Oh, no! We've been rumbled :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
At lest it's not Slough, eh? :)
If all is is crumbling round your ears, the wife ran off, the dog bit you and the boss fired you, that's something to cling to. At least you're not in Slough.

It's true. We fake the weather reports. When we had a heatwave last year I met a couple of Americans in our local pub bemoaning the fact they'd only brought their thermals. The next day they came in in newly bought shorts and t-shirts. Half an hour later it was cat's and dogs....Our weather teaches you to be prepared.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It's true. We fake the weather reports. When we had a heatwave last year I met a couple of Americans in our local pub bemoaning the fact they'd only brought their thermals. The next day they came in in newly bought shorts and t-shirts. Half an hour later it was cat's and dogs....Our weather teaches you to be prepared.

This is truth.

There's a reason that weather is one of the top conversations among the brits.

In the UK the weather stalks you, and pounces, when you're the least prepared. For the laugh. Then it howls down the street looking for lager.

But hey, it's better than Slough.

Laquesi

Registered
Reaction score
I went to London fully prepared but had great sunny days. Oh, how I miss London. Best chocolate chip cookie ever!

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
All this talk of the weather is making me homesick. I'm from South Cheshire, but live in the US. Just survived another summer of endless hot, humid weather. Every day the same--boring! I know many Brits move to get away from the weather. It's the one thing I really miss!:)

Blue Istari

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amysanderson.wordpress.com
All this talk of the weather is making me homesick. I'm from South Cheshire, but live in the US. Just survived another summer of endless hot, humid weather. Every day the same--boring! I know many Brits move to get away from the weather. It's the one thing I really miss!:)

Whenever I look out of the window and see yet another grey day, I think how nice it would be to have endless sunny days... But then I think about it a bit more and realise I would get bored with that after a while. Mind you, we've had some pretty decent weather this summer. For a week or two anyway!

Ok, weather ramble out of the way... (You don't realise how much you can talk about the weather until you start and just can't stop!) Hello there fellow Brits! I'm currently living in Nottingham, but am feeling a bit homesick for the wilds of rural North Yorkshire where I grew up. Cities just aren't for me, it seems.

And at this point I'll sign off, to refrain from adding to the Slough jokes. ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Money is a bit tight at the moment. :(

Well, that's unless something changes in the next week or so and I sign up at the last minute.

Never mind.
Come to EasterCon in Birmingham next year, it'll be a better con, and sign up for the writing workshop