Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts are with everyone who was caught up in the Tokyo quake and its after-effects. Do take care.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this earlier. I hope everyone is well and weathers the tsunamis okay. :Hug2:

And thank you for the link to the Christchurch appeal. I'm going to see if either of my banks will waive the fee since one of the NZ banks will. Otherwise I guess it's credit card.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
No, they say it can happen next week, in a few months, or in a few years even, so I guess they don't know.

And yes it was very long, because there were a few shocks, one after another. We watched our books and stuff fly from the shelves, so we cleaned them up when the first one calmed down. In three minutes the stuff was on the floor again :D

That's terrifying. I was already nervous about going back in May because I'm going to be staying in the absolute worst areas for when that one goes, and now I'm kind of terrified.

I was watching the video of the tsunami coming in at Sendai, and I can't believe how fast it came and how far inland. Absolutely unreal. I'm praying for everyone in it's path. So much has just been utterly destroyed.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers to everyone dealing with the quake and tsunamis! The videos are just terrifying.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just heard on Channel 4 News that the tsunami warnings have been lifted around the Rim.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
I just heard back from one of my friends and he said the earthquake was the longest he's ever experienced by far.

It looked incredibly long, from the footage the news showed! (Of a news room in Tokyo, I think).

So glad to see the AWers checking in that they're alright. The amount of people affected by the tsunami is horrendous. My thoughts go out to our Japanese neighbours in the Pacific.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Relieved to hear of AWers checking in okay. I didn't see madderblue here, but she posted over in P&CE. Thinking of you all, stay safe!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've just heard back from the last of my contacts, and everyone is doing okay. The area I was in was expected to get very large tsunamis as well, but they ended up being much smaller so there was little damage. Thankful for that at least. Now I'm just praying for everyone up north that wasn't so lucky.

Suds

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I could see that was the big one - they don't come much bigger than 8.9. The Pacific plate is definitely making a few moves. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Christchurch is my home town and I thought that was bad - but this has been devastating

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Whenever there's a disaster my first thoughts are who do I know over there? and to AW. So glad we have this thread. My thoughts and prayers for all those affected, whether or not they're AW.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I could see that was the big one - they don't come much bigger than 8.9. The Pacific plate is definitely making a few moves. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Christchurch is my home town and I thought that was bad - but this has been devastating

It was definitely bigger than anything else that's going to happen, but not the big one (well, there are two so I guess "big ones") they've been waiting for. There's one that's decades overdue likely to be on the same scale of destruction as this, and when that one goes it often triggers another one further south not long after. Tokyo has also been expecting a more direct hit on par with the Kanto earthquake of 1923, if I remember right. This one took everyone by surprise. Kind of terrifying when you consider they could have at least two or three more earthquakes of this magnitude (in terms of destruction) in the next few years.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent a year in Yokosuka, Japan, and ache for the people on that battered island. Thanks for this news post to channel prayers.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The wonderful people of anime have gathered a list of places to donate for the relief effort here.

And I don't mean any offense with this, but many of the affected kindly ask:

japnochrist.png

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I have a friend in Japan and I haven't heard from her since early yesterday. She wasn't in the quake and tsunami area, but may be near one of the three nuclear plants.

I'm praying for everyone there.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
I hope your friend is okay. I've been watching CNN and the devastation is heartbreaking. Where does one begin to rebuild?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This kind of thing certainly puts all one's petty cares into perspective. I just can't imagine living throught that kind of devastation, friends family and homes swept away. It's just beyond -- everything.
I weep for these people.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thank goodness there were two emails waiting for me when I signed on this morning. She is okay and in one of the safer areas around Osaka.

The videos of the tsunami are almost impossible to believe - heavy things like buses, trucks and tanker ships being swept along as if they were plastic toys. It's also hard to believe that Japan has moved 8 feet closer to the main land mass.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
The search teams are having a very difficult time... I hope that the 10,000 missing turn into "they're all alive and okay."

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
There are apparently several foreign English teachers with my organization who are currently missing. It might just be that they haven't been contacted yet, but please keep their families in your prayers, too. It must be horrible to have your son or daughter living in another country when something like this happens.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The wonderful people of anime have gathered a list of places to donate for the relief effort here.

japnochrist.png

That actually shows a lack of understanding for many Christian charities. Both the Baptist's Men and The United Methodist Committee on Relief do an excellent job at providing blankets, food, drinking water, shelter, etc... Not to start an argument, but folks shouldn't steer away from an otherwise reputable charity just because it's funded by a Christian organization. In fact, many of the excellent charities listed by the anime community are funded by Christian organizations. The issue is whether a charity can deliver the money and goods to the people in need, not the religion of those who may be delivering them.

/off my soapbox now.

And that's an awesome list. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My next question is this. Where in the world are all the survivors going to live until/if their homes are rebuilt? Will they move them all to the south? This does not even take into account the feeding/clothing/jobs/etc., that will be needed for all these folks. Sigh. The scope of this is mind boggling.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only heard from two of six friends in Japan. Not good odds. I'm sick with worry.

I can understand panic and despair prompting such hysteria as above from victims fighting the ravages of nature and man-made perils.

However, I can't understand a safe AW member passing along such an obviously misinformed message. Typical of tweeters, though.

Just two local agencies I know of, the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul are sending food, medical supplies, clothing, bedding, furniture and the like.

It's okay. They're used to turning the other cheek.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
There are apparently several foreign English teachers with my organization who are currently missing. It might just be that they haven't been contacted yet, but please keep their families in your prayers, too. It must be horrible to have your son or daughter living in another country when something like this happens.

That's so awful. I hope they're all found.

My next question is this. Where in the world are all the survivors going to live until/if their homes are rebuilt? Will they move them all to the south? This does not even take into account the feeding/clothing/jobs/etc., that will be needed for all these folks. Sigh. The scope of this is mind boggling.

I just saw on the news people getting on buses to go stay with friends/family in other cities. It can't be everyone, though, and I don't know how long people can stay in the temporary shelters. :(

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

japnochrist.png

Others have said it already but I too find the suggestion that Christian charities (not even SOME!) would only be interested in proselytising at a time like this mind-boggling. That is some serious paranoia and prejudice.

Last edited: