Ohio Cops Taser Chihuahua. Then Shoot it. Three Times.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the three bullets. What if it didn't die with the first shot or even the second shot? Some officers are lousy shots. The three shots might not have even been excessive but necessary to putting it out of it's misery once they'd shot it the first time.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My whole fucking point is that if these asshats had done what they should have and notified animal control to come pick up the dog running loose, there would be no bites and no dead dog. That accidentally got loose while the owners were away, mind you. These officers created a situation where they cornered an animal and basically provoked it to bite by their actions and then claimed they had to shoot it. The officers never should have cornered the animal to begin with. Animal control should have came and taken the dog. They have the proper training and equipment.

The city of Massillon has one---count 'em--ONE animal control officer.

[SIZE=-1] The City of Massillon is the only political subdivision in Stark County that provides comprehensive animal control for its citizens. Officer Vicki Davis is the Animal Control Officer for our city, with more than 21 years of on-the-job experience. Officer Davis works to resolve all animal related problems with a minimal amount of stress to the complainant and the animal involved. Officer Davis works Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM. Shift Supervisors make the determination if Officer Davis will be called out for after normal work hour emergencies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] The mission of animal control is the legal enforcement of animal related laws and ordinances and the safe removal of wildlife on residential or business properties in the City of Massillon.[/SIZE]

http://www.massillonohio.com/police/animal_control.htm

Vicki.jpg

Guess they didn't think a pissant chihuahua was serious enough to call on the talents of Officer Davis.

Or maybe if it was her day off?

And like a dog really understands what a fucking gun is. What's that word where you take an animal and give it human characteristics?

In this case? Dead dog.

I have no idea where you live, but where I live (especially in the south) you know your neighbors. If your neighbors have dogs, you know their dogs.

I have lived in my house for 14 years and during that time my neighbors on both sides owned Rottweilers. Big ones. The ones on my left were responsible and kept their dog under control.

The ones on my right were not responsible and their stupid fucking dog got out so many times I had to keep a metal baseball bat by the door when it was loose.

Where I come from, this is common sense. I dunno, maybe where you come from people spend their whole lives not knowing the people who live right next door.

I knew my neighbors. I wasn't the least bit interested in trying to get to know their damn dogs. Every time I went out the backyard to take the trash out I had those monsters bashing against the fence trying to get to me.

The dog was so brainless it got across the street and couldn't figure out how to get back. They had to literally carry it back over.

Another time my wife and kids couldn't get out the car because the dog was out again, barking and baring it's teeth. They had to call me from work to chase the fucker away.

So what works for you is really beautiful, but it doesn't have squat to do with my experience with mutts running loose.

A leashed dog is a safe dog. An unleashed one just has to take its chances.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
So what works for you is really beautiful, but it doesn't have squat to do with my experience with mutts running loose.

A leashed dog is a safe dog. An unleashed one just has to take its chances.
The problem is simple -- dangerous dogs are almost always the fault of the owner, as TT has noted.

But to the person who gets bitten, it doesn't really matter who's at fault. And it's the dog who suffers the consequences -- sometimes lethal -- of having bitten someone, not the owner.

Our new dog, a rescue, was owned by a homeless woman with drug problems who lived on the street. The dog was terrified most of the time, and encouraged to be aggressive toward anyone who came near. Luckily, she's only 18 lbs, but still has sharp teeth.

But she's a really sweet dog, and gets along well with other dogs and our cat. Her aggression toward people was fear based, not viciousness. After a year and a lot of work, she now goes off leash on park walks and is almost normal -- occasionally she reverts back to fear mode and barks at people, but stops immediately with just a word. In another year, I won't have to watch her every time someone bends down to pet her.

But to get back to the op, YOU DON"T HAVE TO SHOOT A FUCKING CHIHUAHUA. THERE ARE OPTIONS. IT'S NOT A ROTTWEILER.

Sorry, there's no excuse.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But to get back to the op, YOU DON"T HAVE TO SHOOT A FUCKING CHIHUAHUA. THERE ARE OPTIONS. IT'S NOT A ROTTWEILER.

Look, I like dogs and you like dogs. But it's a dog.

Maybe the cops in Massillion do need some training on how to deal with bad dogs when their lone animal control officer is busy or they don't want to pay her overtime to come in on her off-duty hours.

Or to put it as you did, it's a fucking chihuahua. I'm not going to suspend, fire or indict for murder a cop for shooting a fucking chihuahua.

Good, because nobody needs a excuse. They just need to get another dog.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is simple -- dangerous dogs are almost always the fault of the owner, as TT has noted.

But to the person who gets bitten, it doesn't really matter who's at fault. And it's the dog who suffers the consequences -- sometimes lethal -- of having bitten someone, not the owner.

Our new dog, a rescue, was owned by a homeless woman with drug problems who lived on the street. The dog was terrified most of the time, and encouraged to be aggressive toward anyone who came near. Luckily, she's only 18 lbs, but still has sharp teeth.

But she's a really sweet dog, and gets along well with other dogs and our cat. Her aggression toward people was fear based, not viciousness. After a year and a lot of work, she now goes off leash on park walks and is almost normal -- occasionally she reverts back to fear mode and barks at people, but stops immediately with just a word. In another year, I won't have to watch her every time someone bends down to pet her.

I'm with you on this one, Rugcat. Seems like the cops here made one bad decision after another. It happens. But I really believe it didn't need to go there.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Or to put it as you did, it's a fucking chihuahua. I'm not going to suspend, fire or indict for murder a cop for shooting a fucking chihuahua.
It's a pretty good indication of what kind of cops they are. And it will come out, sooner or later, in some other situation. It might involve more than a dog. And you might feel different about it if it were your dog.

I've had one of mine for eleven years. I like him a lot better than I do most people. He's not much bigger than a chihuahua. (Though a lot friendlier) If he was running loose and a cop shot him, I'd end up in jail, trust me.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
...Or to put it as you did, it's a fucking chihuahua. I'm not going to suspend, fire or indict for murder a cop for shooting a fucking chihuahua.

Good, because nobody needs a excuse. They just need to get another dog.

It's a pretty good indication of what kind of cops they are. And it will come out, sooner or later, in some other situation. It might involve more than a dog. And you might feel different about it if it were your dog.

I've had one of mine for eleven years. I like him a lot better than I do most people. He's not much bigger than a chihuahua. (Though a lot friendlier) If he was running loose and a cop shot him, I'd end up in jail, trust me.

I was about to make this point. It isn't just about the dog, but it is about the type of police officer who feels it is necessary to pump 3 rounds into a 10 lb dog. It is about the ability to make good judgements calls.

Also, as a tax paying citizen ALL government employees, be they police, military, firefighters, etc have a 'duty' to look out for the well being of their citizenry, because the citizens are the boss, NOT the other way around. I consider it extremely disrespectful to say the least.

There are some wonderful police officers who were/are able to 'talk down' people holding guns, knives, swords, behind the wheel of a car, etc. etc. In many of these cases, the police 'would' be more than justified in shooting the person but many times they are able to find another way.

Some of these people just lost their jobs, families, were off their medication, etc. etc. and because a police officer was able to exercise good judgement, lives are saved.

Police have a TREMENDOUS amount of power, and that power needs to be wielded by those who have the right temperment and judgement. Based on this incident, I have to say these officers don't. Granted, I do not have all the facts, but the limited evidence I do have is overwhelming IMHO.

Mel...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
America is out of control.

...um...and your source for this...what?

A police officer tazing and shooting a dog?

Yes, its completely over the top, and should result in the prompt firing of the officer (If not booking him for therapy)

But, um...its not a great way of judging whether a country is spinning out of control...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It was self defense. The cops later recovered a small caliber handgun on the dog's person. Investigation over, case closed... until the neighbor's phone camera footage hits YouTube.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
2. They're not going to throw a blanket over it. That's great for a little dog like a poodle or chihuahua but it don't mean dick to a pit bull.
I'm no cop, but just the same way they're taught not to "shoot to wound" a human being, I don't think many police forces train officers to try to wing in the paw a angry, aggressive dog.

If there's such a thing as dog sense that dog had better have enough sense to back the freak up if the cop has a gun and all the dog has is sharp teeth and a bad attitude.

We're talking about a chihuahua in this case. You're getting awfully close to a straw man argument with your point #2.

Additionally, can you prove that a dog even knows what a gun is? Because I'm not following your other two sentences I quoted.

inquisitr.com said:
The police officers claim that the dog bit them, and the local police department claim that the officers handled the situation according to department policy.

Then maybe, just maybe, if the police are unable to use common sense on a case-by-case basis, the policy needs changed.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Personally, I have zero tolerance for dogs who bite aggressively, whether in defense of what they consider their territory or not. It's just not okay. If this turns out to be what prompted the shooting, I'd opt to not press charges, but I still think it's suspicious they felt the need to use a gun. Why they had to waste ammunition on it when a good stomp would do, no one will ever know. Most likely, I'd release them from the police force, because this sort of behavior indicates they clearly aren't good at using their heads. Under what other circumstances would they reach for their guns first? (Most.) And would it involve humans? (Probably.)

On the other hand, if they just felt like shooting the dog for no clear reason, I can see plenty of justification for civil or even criminal charges.

And before you ask, yeah, I had a dog for most of my life. He died recently of hip dysplasia.

Last edited:

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Let me pose a simple question.

If any of you were slapped roughly in the back of the head would your knee jerk reaction be to turn around and retaliate either verbally or physically? I'm not talking you had a few minutes to think about it, I'm talking right that moment reflexive reactions here.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can safely say that if someone slapped me on the back of the head I would not shoot them. I would hope that part of fire-arms training was to not use a weapon like it is part of an autonomic reflex.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I can safely say that if someone slapped me on the back of the head I would not shoot them. I would hope that part of fire-arms training was to not use a weapon like it is part of an autonomic reflex.

^This. Cops are supposed to be trained to use their weapons responsibly, instead of "Ah! Dog bit me! *bang* Ah! Mosquito stung me! *bang-bang*"

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If any of you were slapped roughly in the back of the head would your knee jerk reaction be to turn around and retaliate either verbally or physically? I'm not talking you had a few minutes to think about it, I'm talking right that moment reflexive reactions here.

Retaliate verbally? Like, what? Saying, "Hey, fuck you!" Cuz honestly, my reaction is more likely to be just turning around and saying, "What the hell did you do that for?" My first instinct is not to retaliate in any fashion. I just want to know what the hell is going on.

Maybe I'm weird, I don't know. But I'm not a dog, (no comments from the peanut gallery, please :D) so I don't think that question really holds when you apply it to dogs. Each dog reacts differently, too, based on how it's been raised and trained by it's owner, as you yourself have pointed out.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score

I'm quite certain I wouldn't turn around and shoot anybody three times for that.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread reminds of the movie The Musketeer for some reason.

Tim Roth plays the evil Fevre, and Stephen Rhea plays Cardinal Riche??lou (that French Cardinal guy)

Cardinal: I want you to embarrass the king, but this time, without killing anyone.

Fevre (looking annoyed): But, but what if I absolutely must kill someone?

Cardinal: Well, if you must, you must.

Fevre trots off happily...

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the three bullets. What if it didn't die with the first shot or even the second shot? Some officers are lousy shots. The three shots might not have even been excessive but necessary to putting it out of it's misery once they'd shot it the first time.

That actually is a possibility. But if that's the case, the cop that shot the dog seems to have said something quite different to the mystateline.com reporter.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My chihuahua mix is this exact mix and 19 lbs. Actually, they can be fierce as hell (jumping on a huge dog very unexpectedly!). But you can still pull him off by his tail and hold him there. Hell, throw him far into the grass, but don't shoot him. Dear Lord.

Granted, the unexpected ferociousness can throw you for a minute, but c'mon they're still little.

ONE animal control officer? That speaks volumes right there.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
...um...and your source for this...what?

A police officer tazing and shooting a dog?

Yes, its completely over the top, and should result in the prompt firing of the officer (If not booking him for therapy)

But, um...its not a great way of judging whether a country is spinning out of control...

ZOombie, Fullback's default position is America is not a good country, we are spinning into the abyss and Japan is the greatest country in the world.

This is ridiculous. Tasering a 72 yr old woman. Seriously. Talk about egomania. Why not just break out the pepper spray.

And what if she died? Then what, would that death have been justified?

God I wish I were king for a day. He would have been in his rights to handcuff her and arrest her, sure. But tasering her? What if she broke a hip when she hit the pavement?

My thoughts are that cops have a new toy and goddamn it, the urge to use a new toy is just overpowering.

Mel...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
My thoughts are that cops have a new toy and goddamn it, the urge to use a new toy is just overpowering.
I think you're absolutely correct. The original idea was to provide a different option when potentially lethal force had formerly been the only viable one.

Like when a suspect is holding a knife, and refuses to drop it. Or when a drugged out 250lb linebacker decides to fight.

Now, some cops seem to be eager to find any situation where they can use it.

"Don't tase me bro."

That one still makes me laugh, though.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
We need phasors.

Seriously, a direct beam weapon that instantly incapacitates with no side effects?

That'd be perfect...