Verifying Youtube Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you may know that I recently did some work on a film for a festival recently. After the festival and then after the winners were announced, all the videos were put up on Youtube, with the instruction that the video with the most Youtube views would get the "wildcard" spot for the Hollywood level of the competition.

Now, when I looked at the video I worked on, I saw that it had capped at 301+ views. I understand that Youtube will often freeze the video view count at 301+ so that they may verify the views and make sure they weren't generated by a bot or something. That's all fine, but I noticed that a video uploaded not too long before the video I worked on was had gotten past that cap within a couple of hours after hitting 300 views (it's currently close to 600 views). My group's video is still at the 301+ benchmark 4 days after hitting it.

This brings me to my question. Why does Youtube take its own sweet time verifying views on some videos and then fast-tracks others, especially when the videos in question were uploaded maybe a few minutes apart? Does anyone know more about this process than the cruddy, generic answers Youtube has provided?

Thanks for the help. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that, actually, prior to posting here. It's certainly an interesting take on the matter, but it doesn't explain why some videos are verified in an hour whereas others take 4 days.
Oh, now I see - I misunderstood your OP.

I'm guessing this is a "trade secret" question, though the "$$$" response makes sense - Youtube is likely to pay more attention to "monetized" videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.