Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
If I lived anywhere near my old campus I'd be there ALL THE TIME. The library was great for getting stuff done because of all the private rooms (and I'm finding I get a lot more writing done when I actually get OUT of my apartment) and the campus was so pretty it was easy to get inspired just sitting around outside. Plus the free printing :)

Moni-- I don't think I've officially said hello yet!! :hi:

Hello~!

Wow! I WISH that I had a nice place to sit & just listen to Depeche Mode while I wrote (Depeche Mode is like UBER key! After all....they're totally like awesome & stuff ya know?--a nod to my Valley Girl past even though I went to high school in Gilroy, CA no where NEAR the Valley.) As it is I sometimes have to write in the middle of the night so that I can get some peace & quiet....hublet has the next door neighbor over & they both think that they're talking to each other from their respective trailers....even though they're both in the SAME trailer...needless to say....NOT able to really concentrate much of the time. Oh...wait....my fave....a "Kenny Special"....I'm writing & he suddenly jumps out at me hollering "Nanner, nanner, nanner!" Yup...I want a campus to go to!!

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
Haha, I actually get my BEST writing done at like 1-2am. I'll come home from work and try to get something done before dinner...or after dinner...but it's usually slow going until about 11pm, then I'm on a roll. It's like my night owl brain kicks it and ignores the more reasonable part of my mind that goes, "Um...but you have to get up early for work! Go to sleep!"

I stayed up too many late nights this week.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I actually get my BEST writing done at like 1-2am. I'll come home from work and try to get something done before dinner...or after dinner...but it's usually slow going until about 11pm, then I'm on a roll. It's like my night owl brain kicks it and ignores the more reasonable part of my mind that goes, "Um...but you have to get up early for work! Go to sleep!"

I stayed up too many late nights this week.

I'm still trying to figure out what this thing is......I think that you called it "sleep"?? Hmm.....do you eat it.....can you touch it?? I'm soooo confused!! LOL

Ok...off to do the dishes before hublet gets home from school....I don't want him mad that I haven't accomplished anything today.....except for check my threads here....

*Oh maid!! Maid....where are you???*

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
:Hug2:

Yeah, there are some days when I love mine to death, and other days when I'd like a maid and a nanny to help out instead.

True. I look forward to the weekends all week when we can hang out together, but some Saturdays I end up wishing he'd go back to work! Ah, I'm sure he feels the same about me at times :)

I'll be the total lame ass here and say, even after 13 years, there is no one I'd rather hang out with than Bug. We're kind of nauseating, I'm sure.

Probably helps that he's gone so much...

Lol. No, really, I wouldn't trade my marriage for anything. On the rare evenings we get out together we almost never go to movies because we can't talk to each other ;). Okay, I have to stop talking now...

And...

We're going to get burgers with friends for lunch, then I'm coming home to write.

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
I'm still trying to figure out what this thing is......I think that you called it "sleep"?? Hmm.....do you eat it.....can you touch it?? I'm soooo confused!! LOL

Ok...off to do the dishes before hublet gets home from school....I don't want him mad that I haven't accomplished anything today.....except for check my threads here....

*Oh maid!! Maid....where are you???*

Sleep! Who needs it?

Actually, I'm the person who needs at least eight hours to be a functional human. I tend to pass out pre-midnight most nights.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
:Soapbox: I just need to vent a little.....so here I am trying to wash the dishes....(apparently "I" am the only one that knows how to use the dishwasher....it's these things that are attached to the ends of my ARMS! We don't HAVE a real dishwasher).....

I've lost the cable remote....I'm the last one that had it too...so it's even weirder that "I" lost it.......

Calgon....can you take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Ok...I'm done with my little rant! *WHEW* I feel sooooo much better now! Thanks guys!

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I don't think I said hi to Moni yet either! Hey! :)

Also, to Hayley and Erica - My school does NOT offer free printing! It's .08 for one page! And then xerox copies are .10! So lame!

I need to get my study on - I forgot I had a midterm on Monday! I keep forgetting to use my Moleskine planner -_- Gonna try to use it more often for sure.

Also, wish I could YAWN, but I'm in the midst of a humongo pile of hw!

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Karla....nice to meet you as well.....

Ok....got a batch of dishes done....& am soaking the next batch....why does this stuff seem to sprout dirty babies every time you're not looking....*SIGH*

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to say....Chan....you're the bestest in the whole widest world! This is great! I can even take my GLASSES off to read this.....my eyes are happy happy happy!!! Thank you again!

herbchick

alcohol will do that for ya
Registered
Reaction score
Did I see talk of a maid and nanny?!? Oh, yes, please :D

And Hubs is still my best friend after 15 years together.

Wish I could YAWN, but we're going out to the movies. :D Yay!!

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
Hey, guys!

I don't think I said hi to Moni yet either! Hey! :)

Also, to Hayley and Erica - My school does NOT offer free printing! It's .08 for one page! And then xerox copies are .10! So lame!

I need to get my study on - I forgot I had a midterm on Monday! I keep forgetting to use my Moleskine planner -_- Gonna try to use it more often for sure.

Also, wish I could YAWN, but I'm in the midst of a humongo pile of hw!

I went to a private liberal arts university (read: SUPER EXPENSIVE TUITION--thank goodness I was on scholarship) so I think they felt bad for us and gave us some freebies like that. It was also free to use the washers and dryers on campus (and we were required to live on campus all four years) which I thought was normal but after talking to friends turns out was also a treat :)

And I forced myself out of the house and into a library downtown. So hopefully I'll get some revisions done now and not be distracted by my tv/books/food/room/etc.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Did I see talk of a maid and nanny?!? Oh, yes, please :D

And Hubs is still my best friend after 15 years together.

Wish I could YAWN, but we're going out to the movies. :D Yay!!

I WISH there was a maid....then I wouldn't have these gawd awful dishpan hands! LOL

Don't get me wrong....Kenny is the bestest.....but....every now & again he just makes me wanna scream (and not with laughter either! GRR!) But....as I said before....it's kinda like that child of yours that has done something you WANT to be all mad about....but it's just too funny to punish them....that's my Kenny! LOL

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a snippet from my ongoing saga I call my book on YAWN. So I guess I'll see y'all there when ya go. I need a little boot in the butt to get going on this re-write since I realized that it's not only my ENTIRE chapter 5 that needs re-written....it's a part of chapter 4 as well. Amazing how ONE element hasta go....and that has farther reaching implications that you originally thought.....*SIGH*

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
Reading the tweets about the SCBWI conference. (#ny11scbwi) Apparently contemp YA is a really hard sell now, and historical YA is supposedly looking to be the next big thing once dystopian peters out.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Reading the tweets about the SCBWI conference. (#ny11scbwi) Apparently contemp YA is a really hard sell now, and historical YA is supposedly looking to be the next big thing once dystopian peters out.

Great....does that mean that we're all going to end up unpublished hacks? "I" certainly hope not! LOL

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com

Amen to the hard sell with contemp and thank god to the historical since my paranormal is also historical through the paranormal element...does that make any sense? Probably not.

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Bummer for me, but I'm going to keep plugging away on the contemps anyway. Also, bummer for my reading..with a very few exceptions, I don't really enjoy historical YA (which is kind of lame since I was a history major, but oh well)

ETA: how about, they just publish stuff that's good and not worry about categories? ;)

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I went to a private liberal arts university (read: SUPER EXPENSIVE TUITION--thank goodness I was on scholarship) so I think they felt bad for us and gave us some freebies like that. It was also free to use the washers and dryers on campus (and we were required to live on campus all four years) which I thought was normal but after talking to friends turns out was also a treat :)

And I forced myself out of the house and into a library downtown. So hopefully I'll get some revisions done now and not be distracted by my tv/books/food/room/etc.

Ohh yeah private liberal arts universities really ARE expensive! I still wish printing was free at my school though lol

Contemp YA? Really?! That's all I really write. Oh noes! :(

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
Of course, it's hard to tell in 140 characters who less who's saying this, but it may just be one agent or ed's opinion. I LOVE historical myself (don't have the balls to write one yet--too much research and afraid of being inaccurate, anyway) so that's kind of exciting for me. And whatever they're saying about contemp, the truth is it's probably the farthest thing from "trendy" there is...so while it may be hard to sell right now, I'm assuming it'll still be steadier over the long term than trendy things that are on the way out (vampires, etc)

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer for me, but I'm going to keep plugging away on the contemps anyway. Also, bummer for my reading..with a very few exceptions, I don't really enjoy historical YA (which is kind of lame since I was a history major, but oh well)

ETA: how about, they just publish stuff that's good and not worry about categories? ;)

THAT is a "novel" idea....publish stuff that's GOOD.....is that even POSSIBLE?? LOL....not that "I" think that mine is any good.....but it would be a bummer that mine wouldn't get published simply because of categorization.

I like history as much as the next girl....but I'm not too keen on keeping up with the huge amount of research that goes into something like that....makes writing feel a little too much like "work" to me....maybe I'm alone in this.....

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score

I totally agree! But I think what's good might be lost in the current craze of THIS or THAT category, if it's different than the popular stuff, you know?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Moni. Hit control on your keyboard and scroll up with your mouse. That should zoom everything in for you on the webpage without having to mess around with font settings or in control panel.
Yes I just learned this trick. Also control, shift, + will do the same thing. And then you can make all the font bigger on everyone's posts (and pictures too, which is why I learned it)

That's weird because agents are calling for contemp YA.
Of course, it's hard to tell in 140 characters who less who's saying this, but it may just be one agent or ed's opinion. I LOVE historical myself (don't have the balls to write one yet--too much research and afraid of being inaccurate, anyway) so that's kind of exciting for me. And whatever they're saying about contemp, the truth is it's probably the farthest thing from "trendy" there is...so while it may be hard to sell right now, I'm assuming it'll still be steadier over the long term than trendy things that are on the way out (vampires, etc)
This sounds true to me

It doesn't matter to me. I will be writing my YA contemp fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.