My dear little dog-- and other distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanie_gaither

has on cool socks today.
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm trying to write, and my dog keeps scratching at my computer chair and whining. He wants into my lap, but it's kind of hard to maneuver my fingers across the keyboard with him sitting there--especially since he doesn't just sit there; he insists on staring up at me the whole time, and every now and then he yawns and unleashes a wave of his lovely doggy breath right into my face. And thanks to his initial distraction, I'm now out of 'the zone' and aware of the clock ticking, the TV in the distance, the neighbors dog barking...etc...

It's a good thing this little puppy is cute, 'cause otherwise I would've thrown him out the window by now ;).

So, just wonderin-- what distractions do you guys face on a daily basis? How do you deal with them?

Alwoody

Back for another round
Registered
Reaction score
My cat wants to sit on my lap all the time, even when I'm trying to write. Of course, I have my kids screaming in the background most of the time. I have to write in small bits or exclusively after 8:30 because of the kids.

starryeyedkt

Hello, smexyface.
Registered
Reaction score
University is generally a distraction - such an inconvinience to writing, let me tell you...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My cats good. He usually just sits next to me, watches me type for a bit and then falls asleep.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ahh....well, since you can't kennel children I've had to find other ways around my distractions.

(Tip:Handfuls of candy only work for a moment before regret sets in.)

Mostly though, I just don't write anything coherent. :) Good luck!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I write with my cat or my child on my lap.

If you want to write that badly then you'll stop making excuses

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
I have certainly written with my child on my lap, but these days he is two and wants to press the clickety buttons. So not writing with a child on my lap is less an excuse to not write than a desire to not have an entire document vanish beneath his questing fingers.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to fashion a shawl into a sling. Two cats fit inside and lay purring against my chest, but my typing was unimpeded. A small enough dog might like the same arrangement.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
4 dogs, of which 2 keep me busy for the better part of the day. One is young and wants to go do stuff, so I let him out. Then he sees that there's nothing happening outside, so he scratches the door and I let him in again. Repeat every 20 minutes. The other one is old and incontinent, so once he starts licking his dick, I have to boot him out and tell him to go pee. Repeat every fifteen to thirty minutes.
My boyfriend, who can't refrain from sticking his head into the room I hide away in when I want to get any writing done. "Just wondering if you're still writing?" "YES." *grinds her teeth*

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The Little One. She's 5, almost 6, and reading now. She's always trying to look over my shoulder to see what I'm writing and then asking me if I can tell her which buttons to push so that she can write too.

Doesn't work.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
My twins tend to scratch and whine too, but my older kids just whine. So I save the writing for Friday nights at Starbucks. I don't get much time (2 or 3 hours tops), but it's amazing what you can accomplish when you've been thinking about it all week. I don't waste any time. I just sit down (with my latte) and go to it.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
So, just wonderin-- what distractions do you guys face on a daily basis? How do you deal with them?
The phone. I leave it and let it go to voicemail but then I worry that it might be an important call so I check the voicemail, bouncing me out of my 'zone'. If I'm getting real desperate I turn off the ringer. Doesn't always work though. I still check the stupid thing.
Dogs, ah dogs. My little dog was killed last year and I wish he was here to pester me. The bigger dog, now alone, pants loudly at me if he wants to go outside. If I don't respond soon enough he pants louder and then starts to whine. He usually doesn't need to take a potty break or anything he just likes lying on the deck - for a while - then he wants back in again. If I let him out right away without talking to him or saying anything out loud I can continue thinking about what I'm writing. Otherwise I lose my train of thought.
Guess I'm lousy at ignoring distractions.:D

wrangler

Dearest Strumpets and Knaves:
Registered
Reaction score
Since I am in noooooo way an animal lover, I would have to say it was the little ones.

How do I deal with them you ask?

Scat! Git! Go! Come! Bedtime! Bath time!

Status
Not open for further replies.