• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly biased as I sold two stories to F & SF in the 1990s, to the then editor Kristine Kathryn Rusch. The first of them was my first SF/F/H genre sale and my fourth story sale of any kind. My only "profile" in the genre at the time was a film-review column in a British small-press magazine.

So it can be done.

Write your best story and send it out. If it's good enough, they may just take it.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI if anyone is interested in F&SF's turn-around times:

I mailed a short story submission at the post office in Western PA on Feb 23, and got my SASE back today (March 10) with a very nice (and complimentary) hand-signed personalized rejection from Editorial Assistant Stephen Mazur.

Onward! :)

I've found F&SF the most consistent fast turnaround in the industry. Gordon Van Gelder and associates make sure I get my rejections in less than a week. ;)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I've found F&SF the most consistent fast turnaround in the industry. Gordon Van Gelder and associates make sure I get my rejections in less than a week. ;)

Indeed. It takes a lot of the pressure off because you don't have to worry about waiting. If the story doesn't work for them, they let you know right away. I love that about them :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
F&SF's highly legit and highly rated. As someone above said, one of the Big 3 of SF mags. I've submitted to them once a few years back (I need to finish up a couple things (don't I always?) and submit again).

Gardner Dozois is on my friends list on FB, but he's no longer editing there as I recall.

Stan Schmidt retired after 30 years of editing Analog (I have a complete collection dating from 1960 through 2005) a couple years back. I'm not sure who's editing Asimov's these days.

Regardless, being published in F&SF would be a big deal.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Stan Schmidt retired after 30 years of editing Analog (I have a complete collection dating from 1960 through 2005) a couple years back. I'm not sure who's editing Asimov's these days.

Regardless, being published in F&SF would be a big deal.

Trevor Quachri is editor at Analog. Sheila Williams is at Asimov's.

And yes, getting published in any of the above would be a big deal.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd cut him a little slack.

Slack is good for young writers.:)

I received my very first rejection from the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and I was too embarrassed through the years to tell the details. In my teens, I was already seriously addicted to its stories, serials, and features by the great atheistic god, Issac Asimov, to “Through Space and Time with Ferdinand Feghoot."

I worked the summer of 1958 as an assistant sheepherder in the mountains just north of Yellowstone Park, my mind full of the real wolves there. The story, with characters having unpronounceable growls as names was full of borrowed werewolf tropes, and sent off misspelled and hand-printed on every other line of college ruled paper. I remember thinking “college ruled” would imply a degree of sophistication.

Boucher was gone, and there were several editors through the ‘58. No one signed my rejection letter which was waiting for me down the mountain when school started. It seemed to regret my story just wasn’t quite right for F&SF at that time; however, someone admired my printing so much as to compliment it, then suggest future submissions should be typewritten.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
One of my favorite rejections came from Gordon Van Gelder. Yes, I said rejection. My co-author wrote a terrific SF story, but it was a tough sell because the entire story only existed in the hero's own mind, and the hero died in the end. He said in a handwritten note on the query that while he couldn't publish it, he recommended we not change a single word. It was just too good. Weird, but good. :D

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Slack is good for young writers.:)

I received my very first rejection from the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and I was too embarrassed through the years to tell the details. In my teens, I was already seriously addicted to its stories, serials, and features by the great atheistic god, Issac Asimov, to “Through Space and Time with Ferdinand Feghoot."

I worked the summer of 1958 as an assistant sheepherder in the mountains just north of Yellowstone Park, my mind full of the real wolves there. The story, with characters having unpronounceable growls as names was full of borrowed werewolf tropes, and sent off misspelled and hand-printed on every other line of college ruled paper. I remember thinking “college ruled” would imply a degree of sophistication.

Boucher was gone, and there were several editors through the ‘58. No one signed my rejection letter which was waiting for me down the mountain when school started. It seemed to regret my story just wasn’t quite right for F&SF at that time; however, someone admired my printing so much as to compliment it, then suggest future submissions should be typewritten.

Chase, that's a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing it.

I have my own collection of rejection letters from F&SF. The one I treasure most highly is the one signed by GvG himself, because it means I actually got past the first readers.

Dgullen

Ustom Ser Itle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgullen.com
Is anyone else having comminications problems with F&SF this year? I submitted a story last October, queried twice, in January, then February this year, and had no reply either time.
Then in March I had an acceptance offer, promising further contact regarding acquisition, which may take upto 6 months.
So I wait 6 months, hear nothing, and query again.
Over three weeks have gone by. Guess what?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Looks to me like the last issue was December of 2020. All the buttons on top of their page (blog, contact, etc) are broken. I suspect they have dissolved.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I needn’t add to the general opinion that F&SF is one of the leading SFF magazines. I’ve submitted to them several times, no sale yet. I do remember my first rejection: It was from the chief editor, snd she said she didn’t like my story. Actual feedback! I could have kissed her.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if my intel is accurate. It was a websearch and website. Did they move? No idea.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Their twitter account is still active though.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Reactions: Woollybear

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to me like the last issue was December of 2020. All the buttons on top of their page (blog, contact, etc) are broken. I suspect they have dissolved.
Just saw this post. I checked my records, and find my latest rejection from them is from August of this year. Sure hope they haven’t gone under. That would be a terrible blow to anyone who loves SFF.

Reactions: Woollybear

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
OK, they have a few websites.

An older one

A current one with current issues

So, I guess that's good. The two sites have a similar look/feel to them. I'd suggest (to the site managers) that the old website port to the new website.

Even the new website has some broken buttons though. (fatal error when clicking on "blog," on Chrome/Mac).

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else having comminications problems with F&SF this year? I submitted a story last October, queried twice, in January, then February this year, and had no reply either time.
Then in March I had an acceptance offer, promising further contact regarding acquisition, which may take upto 6 months.
So I wait 6 months, hear nothing, and query again.
Over three weeks have gone by. Guess what?
You are not the only one, Writer Beware commented just this summer on significant delays.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
OK, they have a few websites.

An older one

A current one with current issues

So, I guess that's good. The two sites have a similar look/feel to them. I'd suggest (to the site managers) that the old website port to the new website.

Even the new website has some broken buttons though. (fatal error when clicking on "blog," on Chrome/Mac).
Well, they definitely have some SEO work that needs doing. The old site is the first Google result, followed by their wikipedia entry, their Facebook, and their current site as the 4th result, which is simply headlined "July/August 2023 Table of Contents"

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog's link said something about internal dysfunction... or something...

Hopefully it'll all get worked through. They are still up and running, anyway.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Dgullen

Ustom Ser Itle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgullen.com
You are not the only one, Writer Beware commented just this summer on significant delays.
:-( Thanks. That reads like major systemic problems. Gah! What do do? On the one hand I don't want to wait, and wait, and wait; on the other I near as dammit have an acceptance.

• Hug
Reactions: dickson and Stytch