Ever have a "crush" on a fictional character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
There were always characters that have inspired me, or given me a different outlook on things... but never have I really had a strange romantic attraction to a fictional character until now. :Wha:

I'm a 23 year-old extroverted male, and (at the risk of sounding pompous) I do have a girlfriend (yes, in real life...), and have dated many different girls in the past. So I'm finding this sensation really fascinating and peculiar.

I finally got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy, and upon finishing the second book, I found that I'm developing an odd "crush" on Ms. Katniss Everdeen. (The fictional character, not Jennifer Lawrence from the movie.. Not to say that she's unattractive.) The sense of attraction got me wondering if this impact on male readers was intended by Suzanne Collins when she was writing it.

What do you think? Anyone ever have a crush on a fictional character? Or better yet, a character who wasn't written in with the intention of being a male heart-throb or female bombshell?

Or am I just crazy? :crazy:

Last edited:

GinnieHazel

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's quite a common thing. If you spend enough time with fictional characters it's bound to happen.

I had quite a thing for Nightcrawler.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
The sense of attraction got me wondering if this impact on male readers was intended by Suzanne Collins when she was writing it.
I expect Ms. Collins would be quite pleased to know that readers were getting 'crushes' on her characters; I would certainly love it if I could get that sort of reaction from readers (hell, I just want to have readers!). My guess, however, is she just wrote the character the way she wanted and didn't worry about whether anyone would crush on her or not. Unless she mixed up some love potion #9 while she was writing and had it embedded in the book somehow.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
My guess, however, is she just wrote the character the way she wanted and didn't worry about whether anyone would crush on her or not. Unless she mixed up some love potion #9 while she was writing and had it embedded in the book somehow.

I think your guess is what the case is. People are naturally attracted to different personalities. Maybe I just never knew I had a thing for the courageous/fierce type.

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
I'll throw out Hester Shaw from Mortal Engines. Which is odd, seeing as her face is meant to be horribly disfigured. I think I just really, really like her character.

A bit mean, a bit brusque, but good on the inside, and she was insecure enough that she got a bit spiteful when she was jealous. Not that I like spite, but that whole not-completely-secure thing is hot. As much as I like girls who are in control, I prefer girls who don't give off a "I'm fine with or without you vibe", because it makes you feel a bit... unimportant, I guess. Like you could go and your disappearance wouldn't matter for very long.

So yeah, Hester Shaw is my not-meant-to-be-hot crush :D

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, of course, especially a few of the ones I've created. To be honest, if the female characters I create aren't attractive to me (assuming I wrote them to be attractive), how could I suspect they'd be attractive to anybody else? I'd be surprised if other authors didn't feel the same way.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's ever been quite identical to my crushes on real people, but I have had "crushes" of a sort on fictional characters a few times.

Oh, for sure. A "real-person" crush is way different, to say the least.

But like someone posted above, a big part of the "fictional crush" is probably due the fact that we spend so much time immersed in the novel too.

I just read the first two books, and watched the movie within the last couple weeks... So that's probably a big catalyst for the crush I'm having.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these experiences. Either that, or we're all insane together! :D

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
All. The. Freaking. Time.

It's fun when the BF and I have crushes on the same character, regardless of their sex. :D

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, now I'm starting to feel like the odd one out for only having experienced this once.:tongue

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queequeg.

(In seriousness, no, I've never had a crush on a fictional or actual person, but if I did...probably Queequeg.)

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
Crushing on fictional characters is a totally common thing. It's why you have teen-to-grown women on Tumblr crying, "MY BABIIIIEEEEES!" over forty-year-old men who sell their souls to save their brothers or jump off high buildings. It's why Snape has such a massive following and why Draco In Leather Pants is a trope.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Totally in the throes of one right now, actually. It always ends up being a minor character that needs way more screen time.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These are cases of writers doing a good job. In order for a character to pull that kind of response from a reader, the character has to seem real, in the sense the motivations for his/her actions have to seem realistic, as do the emotions behind his/her actions and reactions. Either alternately, or in addition, the situations created by the author must have strummed an emotional chord in the reader, so the character's actions seemed honorable, even heroic. This is what writers should do, and if some readers develop crushes, that provides a good measure of how well it was done.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Crushing on fictional characters is a totally common thing. It's why you have teen-to-grown women on Tumblr crying, "MY BABIIIIEEEEES!" over forty-year-old men who sell their souls to save their brothers or jump off high buildings. It's why Snape has such a massive following and why Draco In Leather Pants is a trope.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing. Right now, even as I type this.

/sarcasm

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
It's why Snape has such a massive following and why Draco In Leather Pants is a trope.

LOL - Draco in Leather Pants was unknown to me until I spent a few hours getting immersed in TV Tropes. Freakin hilarious.

Yes, I get crushes on fictional characters, but if I listed all of them I'd have listened to this One Republic album at least another 8 times before I was done.

*And pause while I sing into my hairbrush at the chorus of Stop and Stare*

Ahem.

My first literary crush, to my knowledge, was Mr Rochester. I don't know why. I must like really damaged and abusive men.

And on that subject...

Christian Grey. I know, I know, but just... *goes off on flight of depraved fancy*

OK, back in the room.

I do like non-fucked up characters, honest. Er...

Diomedes from the Iliad. Hektor I admired, but Diomedes I wanted to abduct like an Amazon on a manhunt, and take some poetric licence with him :D

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a boy, I was in love with Noah Hathaway! I used to watch "The Neverending Story" over and over because he was in it.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I once developed a crush on a fictional character at age five.

That might not feel so weird if that crush had gone away at some point, but it never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.