Bio for Demand Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie at earning money from writing and I'd a appreciate some advice. Demand Studios have sent me the following email:

Hi, Jenny. Please upload a photo of yourself. Under general information, please include the year you began writing professionally (ex: 2011), the titles of publications/sites for which you've written, your degree type (Master of Arts, etc.) and university. Thanks!

I thought I had uploaded a photo but clearly that hasn't gone through. I think I can sort that out myself, and be more specific about my degree. But I haven't written professionally before, as I made clear on the resume I sent in, so I don't know what to put in my bio regarding this. My writing experience is limited to writing study guides and training packs for organisations I've worked for. I've never had anything published.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this or the next problem I'm about to post.

Stephanie Mojica

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniemojica.com
Hi Jenny,

This is my Demand Studios bio:

Stephanie Mojica, a journalist since 1997, has published numerous works for print and web, including articles in major newspapers such as "The Philadelphia Inquirer" and "The Virginian-Pilot." Mojica earned a Bachelor of General Studies, Arts and Science degree from Athabasca University in 2005 and also attended Harvard University Extension as part of her commitment to lifelong learning.

You could write something like:

[Jenny] has written extensive educational materials such as study guides and training packets for a variety of institutions.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

s.m.s

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Abderian. I just started with Demand Studios too and they also had me re-write my bio. I also have not been published professionally, so I just said that I started my professional writing career in 2011. The only other information that I included other than that was the name of my degrees, which Demand Studios website that I would be writing for, and the kinds of articles I would be writing. That's what I did and they accepted my bio.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the rewrite-your-bio club!

Demand used to be much more laid back and writer-friendly, but they've become, well, very demanding -- as you can read in their very own forums.

If you have experience writing for businesses and education (training materials definitely counts), I'd recommend seeking out commercial writing work as well. You may find you can make more money per hour, and with less hassle, than is possible with Demand Studios.

Best of luck with your writing!

Last edited:

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

I rewrote it stating that I started writing professionally in 2011 and I named more specifically some things I'd written. I also added the name of my university. Basically I did what they asked me to!

I'm just dabbling at the moment, trying to get a feel for writing for money and practising my research skills. I think Demand Studios has been good so far for doing that. The comments I got on my first assignment were really helpful.

Thanks again.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted my avatar and bio to DS.

What worries me is after I submitted it, I didn't get a message saying it went through okay. The next thing I saw was it went back to the main log-in page.

Does this mean it didn't go through?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I had to send the bio through again and this time it worked.

I got an email yesterday saying it was approved! Need to thank Stephanie because I used her example as a model for mine. I'm glad they accepted my Fun Fact, because I had no idea what to put for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.