• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rees Literary Agency (formerly Helen Rees L. A.)

Savvy

Does anyone know the current address for the Lazear Agency, or have they gone out of business? Their website, www.lazear.com, has no info. Their phone has been disconnected with no further info and the two addresses listed for them (800 Washington Ave. and 430 1st Ave. in Minneapolis) do not work.

Same with Helen Rees: 123 N. Washington and 308 Commonwealth do not work.

deniselevans

Helen Rees Literary Agency

The Helen Rees Agency is in Boston, not Minneapolis. Their phone number is 617-227-9014 and address is 123 N. Washington, Boston, MA, 02114-2113

Savvy

Yes, I meant Boston, thank you. Unfortunately 123 Washington came back "addressee unknown." Someone else emailed me with their updated address.

jreeswilliams

Re: Lazear Agency & Helen Rees

i found this address on them after my "washington street address" query came back.

Helen Rees Literary Agency
376 North Street
Boston MA 02113-2103

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Helen Rees Literary Agency still going strong (e.g., more than one six-figure deal this year). Contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with Anne Collette?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got a 1-day rejection from her recently.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, she's pretty fast. E-queried her earlier today and got a e-jection from her just minutes ago.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I queried Ann Collette on 5/29 and received the next day a request for my full manuscript in a nice, personal email.

Last edited:

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Collette

Queried last night, she requested one chapter this morning (Sunday!), got back to me a couple hours later saying it was well-written and interesting but not special enough to grab an editor's attention in this tough economy. So responsive, so thoughtful -- it's be great to have her as my agent.

I hate the whole "first five pages" thing -- but I'll give some thought about how to make mine unique and still tell the same story I'm telling. Right now I have no idea how to do that.

JKBWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Non-Fiction Query for Rees

Just curious what the protocol is for non-fiction with the Rees Agency. They say they take e-mail queries, but do you send the whole proposal package electronically? Or simply query with a letter and hope they ask for more? The latter sounds more sensible, but I wanted to make sure!

MelMel

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Collette said she wasn't sure our story was for her, but we should go ahead and send her a chapter anyway...then when she wrote back, she said it didn't "grab" her. The way she said it was a bit flippant, kinda made me glad she didn't want to rep us actually.

Moost

Is not my real name
Registered
Reaction score
New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
Wow, agents are replying to queries late tonight. Got a nice R from Ms. Collette. Said that frankly my query was appealing, but she's looking for something a bit darker as of now. Encouraged me to keep submitting. Very professional.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
One day turnaround for my query. I received a very nice/professional R from Ms. Collette advising that my MS didn't sound like her cup of tea --- too much of a fantasy element.

Good luck to all who've submitted to her!

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Ms. Collette said she wasn't sure our story was for her, but we should go ahead and send her a chapter anyway...then when she wrote back, she said it didn't "grab" her. The way she said it was a bit flippant, kinda made me glad she didn't want to rep us actually.

Ann is my agent, and you are right that she definitely knows what she likes. Don't be offended, or churlish, because your book didn't grab her, it'll grab someone, don't worry. She certainly isn't "flippant," though she can come across quite businesslike. I feel very lucky to be represented by her.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't feel her critique of my first chapter and subsequent rejection were at all flippant. I was, rather, very thankful that she'd taken the time to explain what she thought was lacking. Of the dozens of agents I've queried, she's the only one who took the time to give me some feedback. As far as I'm concerned, that makes her a class act.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Just got a rejection from Ann Collette. Sent query and first three chapters at her request last Wednesday (Nov. 18) after meeting her at a writers conference. Her reply was prompt and professional, and included feedback. "No two ways about it, you can certainly write. But the character... just doesn't draw me into the story." Oh well.

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Got an overnight reply from Ann Collette on my query. Doesn't know if it is right for her but asked for a chapter and promised to get back to me immediately. Very professional!

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection from Ann on the 14th but she was very nice and offered encouragement, which is always welcome.

Annayna

Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from her saying that my book was to Fantasy/YA for her tastes

Hittman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davehitt.com
I sent Ann a query last night.

This morning she requested the first chapter.

This afternoon she sent a personalized rejection.

Damn, that was fast.

cbuck1

Author: Go Down Hard (2011)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CraigFaustusBuck.com
Positive response

I queried Ann Collette yesterday afternoon and received the following dream response this a.m.:

"you totally grabbed me with the five pages you sent -- they couldn't be more my kind of prose! I'm insanely intrigued and want to see the whole novel."

I think I'm in love. Anyone have any further info on Ann or the agency?

Cheers,

CB

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
She is absolutely the nicest agent. I didn't pitch to her. I was just helping at the conference. During one of the breaks I was getting her water and had a short conversation with her. She asked why I wasn't pitching. I told her I was taking the opportunity to network. After the agentfest I went back and asked if I could get her anything else and she told me to sit down and tell her about my writing. That led to an hour long dinner and conversation. She then dragged me around the host party and introduced me to several people. It was truly a great time. She is a wonderful person.