• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gauthier Publications

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
This will be my final statement. this thread has just created more speculation.

We started this company to create a quality product made in the USA, and we love what we do.
Daniel, I'm sorry that you won't be back to help clarify your company a bit more. This is a very savvy group, and it's natural to ask questions about a new company in order to determine its sea worthiness. After all, there are a bucket load of new publishers who either go belly up or aren't all they crack themselves up to be. As a result, many authors have been burned.

Personally, I'm thrilled right down to my little size 7's that you're belting out 3-5K print runs - hardbacks, no less. That you manage to do this without the help of a distributor's sales team is admirable. Is your primary focus on selling to libraries? That's where I usually see those kinds of hardback runs going.

I think a lot of the speculation - at least with me - is looking to connect the dots between these high print runs and a new publisher - meaning, were you a fabulous editor for one of the big boys? Or perhaps you have other publishing experience that can be attributed to your success. I mean, no one with a firing synapse prints up 3K hardback unless they know those babies are sold, so you obviously have something wonderful under your hat. We just would like to know what that is so we can say, "Heck yes, give Gauthier a ringy dingy."

But you leaving in a bit of a snit has a dull thud to it. I mean, people want to know you - I want to know you - and I would think you'd be more than happy to fill us in. Or did I miss something?

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
MJR, aren't Follett, BWI, Brodart, and Diamond Comics distributors? (If so, they have answered the question.)
Follett, BWI, Brodart are all like Ingram and Baker and Taylor. They do a lot of the ordering for libraries. Diamond Comics is a distributor with sales teams, I believe, but there are two different kinds of relationships one can have - full distribution where the sales teams pitch your titles and you're in their catalog, and the other kind where they simply take care of order fulfillment, and their titles aren't pitched to the national accounts.

This is why it can be a bit misleading when someone says they're distributed by, say, Midpoint. Are they fully repped, or is it order fulfillment? It's important to know (and ask) the difference.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: