Auxesis April 500 words/day-all genres welcome

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
You cheer me up, mccardey, you really do.

Have a little Voltaire:

Il en est des livres comme du feu de nos foyers; on va prendre ce feu chez son voisin, on l’allume chez soi, on le communique à d’autres, et il appartient à tous.

(What we find in books is like the fire in our hearths. We fetch it from our neighbors, we kindle it at home, we communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all.)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
So how am I to follow Voltaire's prose?
With only three one-hundred words to mark.
McCardey's got us beat, oh yes she does.
For adding words is cake, subtraction's hard.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think I had about 900 total for yesterday. I don't remember the exact number.

I've actually got the evening free tonight, so I'm planning to do a ridiculous amount of writing. I've also been doing research for the next book and I'm loving it. It's going to be so much fun to write.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, Kaitie's got that New project Smell in her nostrils. Enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

I have to cut my writing session short so I can go to work. I wrote 455 words for now and I'm hoping to write at least that after I get home tonight.

Good luck to everyone this weekend! :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So how am I to follow Voltaire's prose?
With only three one-hundred words to mark.
McCardey's got us beat, oh yes he does.
For adding words is cake, subtraction's hard.

*ahem*

mccardey's always happy to delete
Those little words that dissipate like smoke;
But wants it noted - in iambic beat -
She's female. She's a chick. She's not a bloke.

Was I clever? I was clever, wasn't I? See how I did that? That was Iambics! :hooray: Yayyy me!!! Thanks for the primer, Activist, you sweetie-pie. mwah! :)

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Wonder, I wish I had your gift.

So today is zip, nadda, zilch. Spent all of last night hacking at web site errors and am now going to go mow down some defensless grass.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

I've been slacking lately, but still am within reach to finish the second draft by the end of the month... I just have to edit 1.5k a day (sarcasm--there's no way I can work that fast). I just can't wait to finish draft 2. It's by far the worst part for me, mostly because I need to rework. every. single. freaking. paragraph from my horrible first draft.

So... that's me.

*crawls back to writing cave*

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No words for me today either. Spent most of last night and today trying to set up a new email because I hate, hate, hate Gmail's new look! (Or maybe I just hate being forced into something I don't want.:rant:)

I know. I will write a new story where I torture whoever (whomever?) runs Gmail.:evil

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Saturday, so I wasn't planning to write, but I found myself alone for an hour or so and used the time to play around with yesterday's stuff. It's been so long since I really felt confident and positive about writing - I could do it all day!

As far as wordcounts, I took a bit that yesterday was 230-something words and chopped it down to 122. It's much better.

I know - I am the slowest writer here, but on the upside, the first draft is always remarkably clean.

:)

ETA: WonderActivist - there was no need for that tomato. Everyone thinks mccardey is a boy's name. It probably is.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Productive writing afternoon - 2,757 words.

So now I can spend my Saturday evening guilt free, drinking wine and watching a DVD.

What an exciting life I lead...but at least I can do it in the knowledge I have got words written today.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Shara, that's awesome! I haven't had a chance to write yet today (and it's already six, EEK!), but I had 576 yesterday. I need to go get some garden work done, eat dinner, fold laundry, and take the doggies for a walk, so goodness knows how much time I'll have today, but this is the first time in ages I've held onto an above 500 a day word count for several days in a row, so if I hit that again I'll be happy. :)

I've also been plotting out details for the new book. Loving it so far! I'm looking forward to it.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Couple of sentences today but at least they're words. Still very stuck on this WIP, just having real difficulty getting going. Tried skipping ahead, but that's not really working. But I have tomorrow off to try and think of another strategy.

ETA - actually got just over the 500 for today now that I count it. Romana Kazdová, my MC's slightly goth and estranged sister, just showed up and seems to have finally injected some life into this stupid book!

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Just need to do a little dance. Checked the progress so far and I've actually done 2,177 words tonight! Yay for insomnia! But it is now quarter to four in the morning, so I might actually try sleeping.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Iambic genius everywhere, Wonder and Ms M!

Stuck to my prosaic prose and churned out 2 000 words of which a paragraph might survive. I keep introducing stories within stories, like some demented Scherezade.

Sunday and I shall edit and then write some more, fortified by roast chicken.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fantastic word count, everyone!

I'm a big fat zero again, but my excuse is... uh... taking care of the sick dog/cat/kid?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I had zero yesterday, but that's Namatu's fault. YOU KNOW WHY.

To my credit, though, I considered it bonding time with the SO. Hopefully tons of words today. It's another big tons to do day, but that's okay.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lot today, as I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect swimwear for Toulouse this coming weekend, but I did a couple of sentences and now have just shy of 5,000 words on the WIP!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
1746 words for me today. More for the day before, but they're still in the notebook waiting to be typed up.

I know - I am the slowest writer here.
I protest. I thought I was the slowest writer here. Today's word count aside, have you seen my "I wrote a sentence" updates?

I had zero yesterday, but that's Namatu's fault. YOU KNOW WHY.
Mwa ha ha! Time well spent, my friend.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Total has ended up about 500 today. Trouble with setting a mystery 50 years in the future is inventing gadgets, keeping the future realistic in terms of what could be invented, but also making sure there's no gadget that would just solve all the crimes ;)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Total has ended up about 500 today. Trouble with setting a mystery 50 years in the future is inventing gadgets, keeping the future realistic in terms of what could be invented, but also making sure there's no gadget that would just solve all the crimes ;)

Not to worry. If there was a gadget that could solve all the crimes there still would be villains who could hack their way around them.

No new words, just editing. Not that many today either. Had to go through my stuff to verify a few sources.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Alas, I wrote four hundred scurvy words
Methinks the clock forbids my chance for more.
This Monday looms like canker-blossoms, foul.
But Hark! The Bard's day starts this very hour.

Happy Birthday, Genius-Whatever-Your-Name-Was! You get the last laugh.

Today is Talk Like Shakespeare Day, April Twenty-third:
http://www.talklikeshakespeare.org/

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Nothing for me today. Been one of those days where I've been running nonstop and still didn't get my grading done. Oh well. My students can have their essays back on Tuesday, and maybe tomorrow will be better.

On an unrelated note, I have to take my doggie in to the vet tomorrow to have a biopsy done. It's minor surgery and I'm not really worried in that regard, but I'm hoping that the results come back negative for anything really horrible, and we have to keep her and the puppy from playing for five days. I have no idea how that's going to happen and have a feeling that they're both going to be driving us crazy for a week, so any good thoughts or prayers would be very welcome.