Bad friend = good writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
I try to write during my lunch time. It's sad that I get irritated when colleagues stop by to chat.

Mustn't...become...hermit...

--Q

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
How about an anti writing week? A week where you cannot write and must do stuff that other non-writer folk do? :D

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, regarding movie theaters, I think my wife would be mad if I went alone...and I like her company.

I had some of those jerks who talk the whole time when I went to Choke, which wasn't that good to begin with. The two behind me were a couple of those (WARNING:extremely insulting stereotype to follow) atheistic self-righteous Barnes&Nobles comic-book reading emo highschool kids that go around bashing Christians even though atheism is as faith-based as any other religion. Freaking Jerks.

Wait, what was I talking about? I'm not bitter...

Anyways, they OBVIOUSLY read the book, the book was OBVIOUSLY better, and they OBVIOUSLY were such a fucking authority on Chuck Pauhlaniuk (however you spell it) that they had to loudly explain every parallel and plot element to each other and they OBVIOUSLY were entitled to come in late and sit directly behind us while they did it.

I think they knew I was pissed when I said aloud, "Fuck this," and exited the theater. I think the theater door (and everyone else) knew, too. The door took quite a whopping from me...

It's all good we watched a later movie.

Wait, what was the question? Am I sociable?

Oh, do I have a social life.

*slinks.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Huh. I always prefer hanging out with my friends to writing. Next weekend I'm giving up writing altogether to be with my friends and boyfriend. I do that on a regular basis, since I don't see them as much. It's not like my writing is going to disappear if I neglect it for a while, but my friends might. And I really enjoy their company.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway. Have you ever thought or said anything that meant you put your writing before those pesky things known as 'social lives'?

Guilty.

P.S. Is it sad when you find it funner to talk to your online friends than go out with real people?

Meh. Sometimes talking online is funner.

virginia

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.travelswithlucy.blogspot.com
How about an anti writing week? A week where you cannot write and must do stuff that other non-writer folk do? :D

I nearly had a panic attack when Darzian said that, that's how bad I am!

But then, as I was going to come here and say - and will do so now - I'm probably an exaggeration of everyone else in this thread...

Because I have multiple sclerosis (MS) and am housebound.

I hate people. No I don't. I love people. I pray for them, think about them, write about them; it's just that they're anathema to me: I hate them coming too close and tiring me...

Or do I mean stealing my writing time and energy? I may well mean that, if I'm honest. When I was a child, I was the eldest of five and never alone unless I worked really hard to be - forced it - it was difficult and, I think, resented, even by my parents.

But, when I was alone, oh it was magic and I'd tell my make-believe stories, outloud to myself (a form of acting, I suppose) and be completely lost - somewhere else - happy.

I've got progressive MS and it's not easy. But I have to be grateful for the time and space it has allowed me to write.

Of course, the fact that I don't want - and won't have, up to now - carers in (I am also allergic to their perfumes - Multi Chemical Sensitivity - MCS), when I need physical help, is a bit of a problem. Especially for my 28-year-old son who's finding it difficult to, not be a carer, while still doing most of the "caring".

But I am not, as he has accused me of being in the past: misanthropic!

If I could get just one of my three books finished, get it published and make enough money to move to a good area, then I'd be all too happy to find myself a live-in nurse/companion.

Really... Though she would have to be very quiet. Preferably, also a writer?!

Love, Virginia

P.S. If you'll all be my virtual friends, I'll be yours. And just think, we'll never have to bother each other, unless we feel like saying something or responding. Good, huh?!

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever thought or said anything that meant you put your writing before those pesky things known as 'social lives'?

Yeah. Things like, "Sorry dude, I won't be coming to your party, I need to work on my novel this weekend."

There's nothing wrong with that. It's work. People prioritize work all the time.

Other times, I say f**k it, I'm getting blotto this weekend and intend to embarrass myself in front of as many strange women as possible.

It's all about balance. :D

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I rather create my own world then be out in the real world, where you never know where the next bullet is coming from.

Life is what happens, while you're busy making other plans. ---John Lennon ---- Shot while he was walking toward his building's door.

Status
Not open for further replies.