Do think anyone on here is very successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
DUDE! You know that book, that dead book about, like, conversation with dead things?

It totally sucked.

Cryptonomicon is waayyyyy better. Seriously, you should like read it.

Iz in yr brain, eatin yr WIPs:

arwedda-ur_sanity.jpg

Dude.

Last edited:

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
Decided to cut a broad swath with your first handful of posts, did you?
Actually I don't see any offensive in the OPs question. This was just a simple and a rightful question from a newly arrived user. The best is; no one is really answered the OPs question with the exception of two, maybe three people. Others turned to offensive and tried to make a joke from the OP's question without any real reason. For me this is a bit strange... Hmmm. Maybe something is lost in translation...

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I don't see any offensive in the OPs question. This was just a simple and a rightful question from a newly arrived user. The best is; no one is really answered the OPs question with the exception of two, maybe three people, rather turned to offensive and tried to make a joke from the OP's question without any real reason. For me this is a bit strange...

If it was an isolated post, I'd be inclined to maybe agree with you, and to maybe spend a bit of time parsing out which bits were offensive.

But it's not an isolated post. It's one of several posts from a new user who doesn't seem to have read the newbie guide and who, from all appearances, thinks the way to make an entrance into a new forum is to draw as much attention as possible.

But that's just my $.02. Feel free to carry on.

Deleted member 42

It's one of several posts from a new user who doesn't seem to have read the newbie guide and who, from all appearances, thinks the way to make an entrance into a new forum is to draw as much attention as possible.

Do you think a new avatar would help?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best is; no one is really answered the OPs question with the exception of two, maybe three people.

Wellll.... At least I brought the Stephenie. :)

Also, what Willie said.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing enhances the AW experience like having your own, speshul avatar.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the other posts from the OP, but it's a bit like walking into a dinner party as an unknown guest and asking everyone what their salary is, no?

Actually I don't see any offensive in the OPs question. This was just a simple and a rightful question from a newly arrived user. The best is; no one is really answered the OPs question with the exception of two, maybe three people. Others turned to offensive and tried to make a joke from the OP's question without any real reason. For me this is a bit strange... Hmmm. Maybe something is lost in translation...

Deleted member 42

Others turned to offensive and tried to make a joke from the OP's question without any real reason. For me this is a bit strange... Hmmm. Maybe something is lost in translation...

If the OP troubled himself to look at the three prominently displayed books on the top of every single page, the OP might have had a friggin' clue.

Having looked at the OPs post history, I suspect that the OP has an entirely different agenda, one that does not involve basic observational skills.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Define success to my satisfaction and I might answer you.

(It's not fair, btw, that I can't use my totally for real given name of JK MeyerBrown-King!)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well, if a serious answer is required. What is successful? I have one novel that I just got back from an agent with some suggestions for an edit. It's the second round of edits.

I have another that I got from another agent, with suggestions for changes - which I'm doing now. I need to think about the changes in the first novel first before I committ. So. Two agents apparently like my work enough to make notes, write them down, send them back to me and ask me to resubmit once I've made he changes.

Is that success? Well, there's no signature on a contract, but I'm feeling pretty successful, considering the odds against that...

Besides, I probably wouldn't end up on the NYT Best seller list anyway even if I sold well. It's not realistic to expect that.

Last edited:

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
I haven't read the other posts from the OP, but it's a bit like walking into a dinner party as an unknown guest and asking everyone what their salary is, no?
Actually (s)he simply asked; does anyone has any successful work? Period. There is nothing regarding our salaries. If there would be, I would agree with the others. But it was just a simple yes or no question in my opinion.

Also yes, he forgot to introduce him/herself. But some people used to forget manners. :) Well, we're human. I forgive him/her. :D

Having looked at the OPs post history, I suspect that the OP has an entirely different agenda, one that does not involve basic observational skills.
Yeah. I already noticed that. I also read his other posts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Actually (s)he simply asked; does anyone has any successful work? Period. There is nothing regarding our salaries. If there would be, I would agree with the others. But it was just a simple yes or no question in my opinion..

Well, no, actually--the NYT bestseller thing? It's pretty much a look up the book, see the rank, see the genre, see the backlist, see the publisher and yeah, it's predictable.

That's how publishers calculate things like advances and print runs; they perform calculations, and while old school publishing folk can eyeball it, production, sales and marketing have these exquisite spreadsheets that are scary complicated and pretty accurate in terms of likely sales.

Which is why it's especially a big deal for a new author doing mass market fiction to sell out before release, and require additional print runs to full fill backorders.

It's also why you want to have a back list in print .

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Well, no, actually--the NYT bestseller thing? It's pretty much a look up the book, see the rank, see the genre, see the backlist, see the publisher and yeah, it's predictable.
That's true, but if you simply say for his/her question; yes, there are bestseller writers, or no, there is not a single one... it's not hurting anyone as you not give out names and you answered the question one way or another. It's just my personal opinion, but I don't think so this was more than a general question. Maybe I'm a bit naive as I always try to find the good in everyone...

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why it's especially a big deal for a new author doing mass market fiction to sell out before release, and require additional print runs to full fill backorders.

It's also why you want to have a back list in print .

Well, my AC is out for the past two days so maybe I am a little slow tonight, but did I miss something between the first quoted paragraph and the last?

How is a new author supposed to have a back list in print?

If this is true, I now understand why I am failing miserably. Can't get a first contract until I get a back list in print, but I can't get a back list till I sell my first book.

Deleted member 42

Well, my AC is out for the past two days so maybe I am a little slow tonight, but did I miss something between the first quoted paragraph and the last?

How is a new author supposed to have a back list in print?

If this is true, I now understand why I am failing miserably. Can't get a first contract until I get a back list in print, but I can't get a back list till I sell my first book.

Exactly. It's a fabulous Catch-22.

Really, I was essentially trying to establish a bunch of things at once.

First, that while NYT bestsellers are super, really, they are, the money you make from them is typically not so much from *that* book or even *those* books--but because someone sees the book on the list, buys it, loves it---

And goes in search of your back list, or at least one or more items on the back list.

You want those books, when you DO have them, visible on bookstore shelves.

And then your next book, you can get a better advance maybe, or a sliding and better scale on royalties, or . . . well, at the very least, you've got more negotiating power and possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I realize some of the people on here have published. But, is anyone on here has had a major successful work (e.g., NYT bestseller, major motion picture, etc)?

I think just about everybody here is successful in one way or another.

Let me start by naming off some people on here who I know are successful authors: James McDonald, James A. Ritchie, Julia Knight, Stacia Kane, Victoria Strauss, Ryan Sullivan...there's many more, I'm sure, but these are the authors that come to mind. I don't know whether any of their novels have been made into books, though, just that it was not pure luck that led them to publication.

Then there's the people who are not published, or who have some publications, or those who enjoy weaving stories, and write every single day--put their heart, soul and blood into the stories.

I guess I went a little off track. :D:D But, that is only to share my opinion that success is not measured by whether a book has resulted in a movie, but by learning about the craft of writing and doing what we love to do--write.

(Please excuse my :Soapbox:)

Status
Not open for further replies.