Historical Fiction Pitch Contest

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Just saw this on Twitter:

Irene Goodman is looking for brilliant new historical fiction, and is holding a pitch contest to find those hidden pearls. Irene currently represents historical fiction authors Diane Haeger, Carrie Bebris, Amanda Elyot, newcomers Anne Barnhill and Juliet Grey, and many other New York Times bestselling authors. Here are the rules:

• The event will start with pitches only. Please submit your pitch in the body of an email to [email protected]. If you have a question, send it to this email address. A pitch should consist of 3-4 single-spaced paragraphs. It should include a brief plot description, the major characters, and the time period and setting. The final word count of the novel should be indicated.
  • The cutoff date for pitch submissions is JULY 1, 2011. If you want to submit after that, you must go through the regular channels of this agency. You will hear from Irene if she is interested. If you don’t hear anything by August 1, 2011, it means that your pitch wasn’t right for her. However, she will read all pitches submitted. She reserves the right not to read anything that is not submitted in the specified manner.
  • She will ask to see chapters on the pitches that she likes. If she likes the chapters, she will ask to see a complete manuscript. All submissions should be emailed. Winners will be announced on our web site on August 15, 2011.
  • Irene will consider anything European, but especially England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland. Some American settings will be considered, but the market is not currently favoring those, so selectivity is essential. A few Asian subjects might work, but again, selectivity will be crucial. Irene is not looking for books set in ancient Egypt, Greece, or Rome. Historical means anything from the dawn of time to World War One.
  • The book must be a novel based on real or fictional historical events. Time travel is okay, but other paranormal elements should be limited. Books set both in the present and in the past are okay.
  • The book must be completed, or in the final stages. If Irene asks to see it, it needs to be ready.
  • Winners will be offered representation. There may be one winner, or multiple winners. Irene reserves the right not to declare any winners (but hopes there will be more than one!)
  • This agency receives many thousands of queries every year. If we represent a book now or in the future that bears reasonable similarity to something you submit for this event, we cannot be responsible for the similarity.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

Carbunkle Wine, My first historical novel may have a prayer here. So far I've never pitched anything so this will be a first effort

I'm pretty new here too.

Would it be worth my while to run the pitch through this forum?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Not this forum, Porter. Post it in historical Share Your Work and make sure you identify it in the thread title as a pitch. You'll get some comments. Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Er...

cooee, a pitch is a query to an agent re your novel.

You stick to the OZ setting, it is popular in the UK/Commonwealth and even for some US publishers.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Just a query?

I'm still waiting to here back from and Australian agent since October, who after xmas told me she would get back to me mid February. Maddening. Still have a few more here to query, but wanted to wait till she got back to me.

Anyways, least I've learnt what a pitch is :D

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree a bit with pdr. I think a pitch is a bit more than a query, more hype. I liken it to an expanded back jacket blurb that catches readers. But that's just my opinion. Maybe we'll have to do some research and all try writing a pitch! Puma

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might pitch too...do I just send in my query? Or do I have to rewrite something else? I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but what if you don't win? Can you still send your query again? Normally I would ask such a question, but since its a contest...

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm no history expert on the UK, but it looks like most of the writers of historical fiction she represents have stories based around real historical figures.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes...

puma, I forgot to add that the agent query is more hype and hysteria. You are correct.

Not for me she seems to prefer the MC as a real person. I don't!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm aware she does represent at least one AWer, unpublished, although the MC I believe is fictional although some of the events the plot is based around is real.

Carrie-Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com
I would love to enter this contest for my unpublished Russian novel that takes place from 1917 to 1924 (Part II, 1921-24, takes place in New York City after they've immigrated), but I'm pretty sure the word count would be about 400,000, if I had to guess, and therefore wouldn't even be considered. It's probably at least worth trying, though.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Now ... here's the question. If I have queried this agency (their general submissions page on the site - so I didn't hit up a specific agent), and received the "no response after 2 months = rejection" non-response ... is it worth shooting for this contest? My instinct is to try - the worst that can happen is No Response II the Electric Boogaloo. Still, this is one of those tricky questions. Hmmm.

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you all won't mind me resurrecting this post, but I am curious to see if anyone has submitted or is preparing to?

I am planning on it, in fact it has been the kick in the butt I needed to get my MS polished. But I am very concern about the definition of a pitch. Essentially a pitch is no more than a paragraph, typically verbal, but she specifically mentions wanting three to four paragraphs, as well the word count. This leads me to believe that she looking for a query (in essence) without the fuss of the whole synopsis plus pages requirements.

If anyone had submitted or is going to submit, how are you dealing with this? I would really like to post my "pitch" in the SYW forums, but I am just under 50 posts and don't want to bomb the other forums in an attempt to get my count up.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Hi, oldhousejunkie - I plan to submit; worked on my pitch with my writing group recently, and am planning to make sure I bat it out this weekend. Your definition looks good, but the rules at the site do specify 3-4 paragraphs, so you have some latitude. I took my synopsis and tried to turn it, basically, into an advertisement for the novel. My in person pitches always go well, so my writing partners helped me massage text to be more like the way I talk about the book - basically transforming a book report into a commercial. :)

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I've done my pitch but I'll submit it closer to the deadline, I'll take one last look over after I've left it to simmer a bit.

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
I took the plunge and submitted last week. I had another writing forum help me out, but I'm afraid now that it might have been more synopsis, and less pitch. I followed the guidelines though. I tried taking a look at some of the book flaps of Irene's authors, but when I tried to incorporate some of the elements I saw, the folks were critiquing me didn't like it.

I used the same wording to query six agents last week, and I've already received three rejections, so I'm not feeling so good anymore. I guess I can do a formal query after the contest is over since Irene was on my A+ agents list!