Why is my photo coming up on various blogs/forums?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You're gonna give me a heart attack, posting login information for ANY account in the clear like that, Sharon. :) I've redacted it so you don't get scraped and those accounts don't get pirated.

(I see a photo from the Wordpress site comment, but not on the forum.)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
:) OK! How's your heart?

I changed my login details at wordpress using a very old email address I no longer use in the hope the account will vanish into obscurity. And I'll never login there again, ever. Talk about invasion of privacy!
When I posted on that blog I didn't login, I just used my email address, which was required. I suppose that was enough to bring up my wordpress/gravatar stuff. Hopefully that won't happen again.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm kind of a maniac on internet privacy concerns, so I completely understand your discomfort.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm kind of a maniac

and there you have it, folks!

I replied to a post on Kobo's blog the other day...about their new upgrade...and shockingly, when my post appeared---there's my little doggy staring back at me. My gravatar---that I received through my wordpress account is of France. I think at one time or other I was prompted to accept it as an online identity of some sort. I just didn't realize at the time what I was agreeing to. And at the Kobo site all I used was my email address too. It was a bit freaky...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ugh... this kind of things should be disallowed! When you register with something (like WordPress), they can't just do something like that without your consent first. Suddenly you have an account and your information is posted on another site? That should be illegal.

Deleted member 42

Ugh... this kind of things should be disallowed! When you register with something (like WordPress), they can't just do something like that without your consent first. Suddenly you have an account and your information is posted on another site? That should be illegal.

You have to choose to use Gravatar on your account at the WordPress blog/site, and you have to either have a Gravatar account, or create one at that point.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Sadly, this kind of thing is just going to get more prevalent. See Facebook's recent moves toward linking sites together, and sharing user data with sites.

It's often not clear when or who you're sharing information, pictures, etc. with online anymore. So if you have personal data you don't want galumphing all over the interwebz, it's best to never share it with any site in the first place. (This has always been true, but increasingly so.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You have to choose to use Gravatar on your account at the WordPress blog/site, and you have to either have a Gravatar account, or create one at that point.

Hmmm, okay, but my understanding was that Aruna didn't and never open a Gravatar account, even though she did use WordPress. Maybe I'm wrong...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hmmm, okay, but my understanding was that Aruna didn't and never open a Gravatar account, even though she did use WordPress. Maybe I'm wrong...

That's right. I opened a WordPress account maybe years ago, and must have uploaded that photo at the time. It's so old I don't even have a copy of it on my HD any more.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

Gravatar and wordpress are owned by the same company.

Twitter
Facebook
Yahoo
Google
Wordpress

These companies are all linking together accounts, web site logins etc.

Deleted member 42

That's right. I opened a WordPress account maybe years ago, and must have uploaded that photo at the time. It's so old I don't even have a copy of it on my HD any more.

Yeah, it's all Auttomattic, and a single TOS.

Aruna, I bet if you email the support address from the email account associated with the image and explain your discomfort they'll help you out.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Ah, okay. Gotcha. It's like Blogger uses Google login, etc.

Yep yep.

With larger companies buying up internet property it's interesting to see how they "shrink the web". Signing up for one service about 12 years ago means I now have a yahoo login for all kinds of things. The only process I find similar is company mergers as an employee.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting stuff in this thread. I must admit that for years I have kept a couple of 'anonymous" email accounts which I use whenever I have to put in an email address for any site, other than an online retailer. The user profiles for those accounts have never had an image uploaded, and the profile data is ... ah-hem, not quite accurate. I googled myself a while ago, and so far, so good as far as links and images go.

You have to really watch this photo tagging business too ... I never tag any of my pics online that show other individuals with their real names.

I don't have an FB or MySpace account, but I am interested to see what this new Diaspora lot come up with.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It happened again! I wanted to comment on a newspaper article and for that I had to register with a site called Disqus. When I posted my comment -- it appeared with my mugshot. Aaargh!
I have truly, honetsly removed that photo from Wordpress and Gravatar and yet still it showed up.*

OK, not quite true. Last time this happened I DID remove the photo but when I just checked there it was again. I removed it again.

Last edited:

littlebear91

Never Let Go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
littlebearz.com
gravatar automatically reads from your e-mail address, if you have input your e-mail address somewhere, it is likely that any image co-related by your e-mail will be displayed, Although Iḿ not certain as to why when you didnt upload it directly to gravatar and they still made it appear. I would e-mail to [email protected] or something to tell them to deactivate or delete your account after certain time.

Flex

Registered
Reaction score
Gravatar and wordpress are owned by the same company.

Twitter
Facebook
Yahoo
Google
Wordpress

These companies are all linking together accounts, web site logins etc.
Yahoo and Google, are you sure?