Publish America in 2011

Michael Gilwood

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing you will get when you sign up with Publish America is lies, pain, threats, silence and an email inbox full of garbage. (I forgot the dollar) My heart goes out to all those authors who have wasted their time and placed their trust in this unethical and unreliable company that openly and blatently steals from the unknowing with their equally unethical lawyer/s to clean up the messy slug trail. Some of you have lost more than just time. You should have done your research beforehand. The slug trail is long and its full of promises like we pay our authors the old fashioned way.. we will get your book into bookstores. Etc. They pay you with threats if you start getting heavy like sending the police to authors doors in the middle of the night if they dont behave in silence. It sounds like a horror story. Believe it! Dont put your time into frustrating emails to governers and politicians and bbb unless you have substantial proof behind your claim. The only way to clean up this slug trail and make sure your nail gets home is to forget the ridiculous support section. They are being paid with our royalties. With luck you'll get sent to the absurd FAQ page. Questions that answer nothing in lotsa words. Go to the roots. Find the neurons behind the scheme. Start here. I'll send more later.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/threats/cretella-v-kuzminski

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2008/02/27/the-libel-suit-it-is-on/

If your book sells and they have let you out of the contract for a price, 299 dollars later, they will continue to print your novel under a different name. Its money for them. I have sold many books and all i have is the dollar.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There's an extensive sub-forum here for Publish America. Go down to Bewares and Background checks and check it out.

They're not being paid with your royalties. There are no royalties to be had in most cases, as most purchases are by the authors, and therefore don't generate royalties.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Michael! Sadly, you are not the only one of us here with a Publish America story to tell. There is an entire subforum dedicated to Publish America here. You will find that you are not alone in your experience, but more importantly you will find advice on how to continue writing despite the experience.

Don't give up writing! I haven't.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
I can say that I've never had any dealing with PA, thankfully. I do have to wonder though, as a beginner in the writing field (although it's been there forever), the first thing I did was to invest in the Children's Writer & Illustrator's Market book. I stuck to their guidelines and did not query any agent or publishing house that they did not have included in their book. Best advice---for a few bucks---make a huge investment!! :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the cooler, Michael. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. You are in the right place now for help and support. :)

sisco

Nothing clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsisco.com
Welcome. Sorry to hear about your troubles with PA. It's horrible that there are people out there who work so hard to scam people out of the books that they worked so hard to write. I hope that PA gets what's coming to them.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Michael, and welcome to the Cooler! :welcome: Just movin' your thread on over to our PublishAmerica subforum for housekeeping purposes.

Look around here and maybe check out some of our other subforums, such as Novels, the Roundtable, and some genre specific places, even. I think you'll find AWers to be very helpful and supportive folks, and we're happy to have you here. :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Hope you stick around, Michael. There's tons of useful information here at AW (and an equal amount of silliness and tomfoolery). I can't thank everybody here enough for the help and guidance they've given my short time here.