My USB is being a Jerk

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help with this, but my USB stick started playing up.

It was working fine, and when it was inserted, it was coming up with 'what would you like to use to open the files on this usb?' and then suddenly...

it wasn't. It opened the drive in a windows explorer tab, and there is NOTHING on it. No files at all. But when I go to the properties, it says that most of the disk space is in use.

I did a scan for errors just using the windows software and it says it put the recovered stuff in a folder called 'found' but there is no such folder on the drive.

I also tried searching for hidden files with no result.

I've got a bit of my book on there - not a whole lot, but a bit, and I'd really like to get it back.

Any suggestions for me?

Deleted member 42

Do you by any chance know anyone with a Mac?

I ask because I suspect that the invisible files that "map" and track where the files are, physically, on the stick's media, and how large they are, is messed up.

Because Mac's track that data slightly differently than PCs, they will rebuild a second set of Mac tracking files (files that your PC won't care about) and thus will possibly allow you to recover the files and email them to yourself (or use dropbox or something similar), and then you can reformat the stick when you're home and verify that the files are OK.

Otherwise, you might try a repair utility, but that has some potential problems as well; you kinda need to know what you're doing.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
maybe, it's my work computer so it's probably best if I don't tinker with it, LOL.

how would one access the MAC portion anyway?

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
thanks anyway matey :) I'll see if I can get my paws on a mac elsewhere and if it helps any.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
with the flash drive in the USB port, open windows Explorer (right click on the "Start" button, select "Explore"). Under the Tools menu item click on "Folder Options" then click the "View" tab. In the list of options, check "View Hidden files"
That should show the"Found" folder.

If that doesn't work -- sorry.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys. No luck, boo. I got hold of a mac and was able to open the drive and view the 'found' folders - but nothing in them, boooo!

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
I thought you might be interested to know I got my stuff back! I was able to run cmd on it, and from there, find out a program that could recover the files. In case anyone has a similar problem (unable to open RAW files) you could try this - it's free up to a certain number of folders:

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i hope you backed them up now that you retrieved them.

nonantroll

Registered
Reaction score
Dunno if this helps, but almost every flash drive manufacturer offers some kind of maintenance software as a free download. Sometimes the drives come with the programs installed.
If not, make sure to visit your flash drive's website.