Status
Not open for further replies.

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
I've found that the book trailer for my audiobook was more effective in attracting readers than the book trailer for the ebook/print version, even though the trailer for the regular version tends to get more hits.

When I say more effective, through reader (listener contacts) I can trace a few sales to it. The audiobook trailer includes a sample of the book being read, which I would guess to be the positive factor.

Trailers are an aspect to writing that can reinforce or possibly attract attention, but I'm not sure they're very effective as a primary seller of a work.

RTCKristin

Registered
Reaction score
I think a book trailer, if done well, can capture the essence of the author AND the story and really inspire.

One of our authors has an incredible survival story- true- and the story perspective of her book trailer [link removed by mod] has been effective for her!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
RTCKristin, AW isn't here just to drive traffic to your blog. I've edited out your links. If you continue doing this, you'll be banned.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey - my wife and I have a comic book cookbook coming out next week, linked to her restaurant, Dirt Candy. We thought long and hard about doing a book trailer because even though we're published by Clarkson Potter (a division of Random House) we'd have to pay for the trailer ourselves.

We finally decided, "What the hell?" and for about $800 ($500 to the editor, and the rest spent on pudding) we made this trailer (that you can watch here).

Was it worth it? Who knows, but it's getting a lot of attention.

That trailer made me laugh so hard. That was awesome!

As for trailers selling books. I watched the Anna Dressed in Blood trailer and then went out and bought the book the next day, lol. So obviously it works on some people.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
I've done trailers for all my books. But only because I can get them done for cheap because my husband is techy.

According to YouTube views, they don't really hit a huge market, and who knows how many people actually bought a copy after seeing the trailer, but I think it's fun and I enjoy making them.

It's also a little extra to put on my website in case people are interested in my writing.

You can check out my book trailers here: http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahjanelehoux?feature=results_main

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I did my own trailer mostly because I wanted an excuse to try some animation. And I wanted to draw a cyborg cat. Cost me nothing but time (I even made it with completely free software... that's probably obvious though :p), and I learned a wee bit (mostly that cyborgs are bloody difficult to draw!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7-hfQJk10

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I've wanted to buy exactly one book because of the trailer.

The Body Farm.

Robrealm

Adventure Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I made my own with my video camera and using Windows Moviemaker. Its not long, but its cool...and I've had tons of compliments on my website!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'm working on one right now, as much because it's fun as anything. I don't really expect to get many (any?!) readers through it but it'll be more decoration for my website.

My own feeling as to content is that the viewer needs to come away knowing what the plot is going to be, like the blurb on the back cover. But it has to be done quickly, anything over a minute, maybe two, has to be utterly awesome to hold my attention.

I'll check back when it's done... :)

Thorland

Writer, Filmmaker, Public Historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnathorland.com
I've been reading these threads for a long time and finally have a question that (I think!) hasn't been answered!

I've just released a book trailer. Live action, Red Epic, sync sound, SAG cast, pistols, swords, insane locations, score by an Emmy-winning composer. Fun all around.

Do readers care that the author directed it? Is that something audiences want to know? The only other author-directed trailer I can find is Randy Riggs' for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar children, but I went to film school with Randy, so I knew about him already.

Other examples to learn from? Learned opinions? You're welcome to view here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1kuQ4RolVI

Cappy1

Scared and loving it...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mark-capell.com
As a former TV director (luckily I escaped), I'm going to pipe up here.

I think the reason that most book trailers don't work is because they mimic glossy movie trailers. There's absolutely no point in doing that on a micro budget.

But I wouldn't rule out making videos. Just remember to cut your cloth accordingly. Read part of your book, or do a piece to camera, talking about the idea behind your story.

My latest effort is on the front of my website: www.mark-capell.com

Capeless

Registered
Reaction score
Like most things, it comes down to the execution.

I'd consider this trailer for The Fear Index by Robert Harris to be an example of a well executed trailer. It's to the point, well polished and captures the atmosphere of the book perfectly.

Sure, it could be easily mistaken for a movie, tv, or even a video game trailer -- but all trailers, regardless of medium, serve the same purpose: to attract an audience.

Marketing is an art in itself, and much more important for success than most people ever realize.

Last edited:

Cappy1

Scared and loving it...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mark-capell.com
I like that, too, Capeless. Good production values, gives you a feel for the atmosphere of the book, without being too 'on the nose'.

Thorland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnathorland.com
I don't think readers care about book trailers in general.

When was the last time you, personally, bought a book because of a trailer?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls after seeing the trailers.

Cappy1, I felt that those trailers worked precisely because they mimicked the structure of feature film trailers--they gave you an emotional taste of the story.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think readers care about book trailers in general.

When was the last time you, personally, bought a book because of a trailer?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Once. Back in 1979, I believe. Except it wasn't a book trailer. It was a commercial I saw on TV.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
YA aside (where it seems to have some success), I can only think of readers coming across a book trailer if it is more like a fun mini-movie than a book trailer. People share funny short videos all the time. Perhaps book trailers need more cats in them.

Really though, I've never bought a book because of a trailer and I've seen quite a few "powerpoint" style trailers that turned me off to the whole thing. Also one or two genuinely funny videos that I enjoyed as entertainment rather than promotion...and so didn't buy the book they were advertising (also, it wasn't in my preferred genre, it was literary fiction. Which at least lends itself to postmodernist advertising).

I feel like video making is an entirely different skill set and entertainment market than book writing. For some people they overlap, but for a lot of people--the majority, I'd think--they don't.

Thorland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnathorland.com
YA aside (where it seems to have some success), I can only think of readers coming across a book trailer if it is more like a fun mini-movie than a book trailer. People share funny short videos all the time. Perhaps book trailers need more cats in them.

Really though, I've never bought a book because of a trailer and I've seen quite a few "powerpoint" style trailers that turned me off to the whole thing. Also one or two genuinely funny videos that I enjoyed as entertainment rather than promotion...and so didn't buy the book they were advertising (also, it wasn't in my preferred genre, it was literary fiction. Which at least lends itself to postmodernist advertising).

I feel like video making is an entirely different skill set and entertainment market than book writing. For some people they overlap, but for a lot of people--the majority, I'd think--they don't.

MumblingSage, if they do overlap, and if the trailer is professionally produced, are you interested to know that the author directed it?

NottiThistledore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chatswoodspooks.com
From memory, the only book trailers I've ever watched through to the end have been those for picture books or illustrated books. They give a sense of the book's aesthetic in a way that those for other genres don't. Author interviews, however? I listen to/watch those all the time and have bought many books because of them.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
MumblingSage, if they do overlap, and if the trailer is professionally produced, are you interested to know that the author directed it?

Possibly--if nothing else it would prove useful promotion for the creator if he has a side job doing professional book trailers. I have one friend who I believe would be able to make his own book trailers, an exceptionally talented man who can write, program, and compose music. And even with all that, I'm not certain a book trailer from him would convince me to buy the book more than, say, an excerpt or a good review would.

Maybe if the book trailer showed bits of the story in a dramatised way and really pulled me in. However, at that suddenly acting talent is thrown into the mix. This can all be done, but you need to either have a large budget or be incredibly lucky in your friends/the nearby commune of underemployed actors, screenwriters, and camera artists in your community.

Thorland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnathorland.com
Possibly--if nothing else it would prove useful promotion for the creator if he has a side job doing professional book trailers. I have one friend who I believe would be able to make his own book trailers, an exceptionally talented man who can write, program, and compose music. And even with all that, I'm not certain a book trailer from him would convince me to buy the book more than, say, an excerpt or a good review would.

Maybe if the book trailer showed bits of the story in a dramatised way and really pulled me in. However, at that suddenly acting talent is thrown into the mix. This can all be done, but you need to either have a large budget or be incredibly lucky in your friends/the nearby commune of underemployed actors, screenwriters, and camera artists in your community.

Thanks for replying. My trailer is pretty much what you describe although making something like that is A LOT of work so I probably won't be developing a sideline in trailer production anytime soon!

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I think Thorland's and the Robert Harris are my favourites (followed closely by the cookbook and the cybernetic cat). Budget really can make a huge different. Of course, the trailer has to sell more books than it cost to make, which for most authors is out of the question. And I haven't ever bought a book based on a trailer, which says plenty.

I think for me, what works best in a book trailer is something under a minute long, with graphics that aren't just the book cover or stock photos fading in and out, and audio that includes at least some voice over. Actors work okay, but it can get a bit movie-trailer-ish. I'm not sure I could personally come up with something slick enough on budget, though I have to admit for my next book I'm tempted to reach out to a few fanvidders I know and see what kind of budget we could hash out. I guess it'd be a personal vanity project, but why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.