Status
Not open for further replies.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
just finished Forbidden (Tabitha Suzuma), and... okay, I loved the story and the family dynamics and the in-depth look into all of the characters. But... the writing just grated on me. She repeated herself sooo much. In dialogue, the character would repeat the same line over and over 'It's alright, it's alright, it's alright. It's really alright.' And in description, she'd use the same lines to describe the same feelings over and over. And also the guy cried soooo often, it just started to feel melodramatic rather than dramatic.

So... I dunno. I really wanted to love this. It is a unique story and a great idea and I enjoyed the characters. But... meh

o_O I felt like i was pretty much the only person who did not like it (although it was not b/c of the themes). i found it overly melodramatic (not just the plot, but the prose). i felt like a huge weight was sitting on my chest the whole time i was reading it. and, for me, there was a lot of prose to trudge through.

also, i cannot help but think the whole thing was very daytime drama ;)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Well I'm on Chapter 18 of The Lightning Thief. I'm pretty much devouring it and I can't believe it has sat on my shelves for so long without me reading it. I'll save my final judgement for when I reach the end, but it's looking like I'll have to add The Sea of Monsters to my wish list on Amazon. *crosses fingers* The end can make or break a book so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Here's hoping though. :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm on Chapter 18 of The Lightning Thief. I'm pretty much devouring it and I can't believe it has sat on my shelves for so long without me reading it. I'll save my final judgement for when I reach the end, but it's looking like I'll have to add The Sea of Monsters to my wish list on Amazon. *crosses fingers* The end can make or break a book so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Here's hoping though. :D

Loved the whole Percy Jackson series!!!

I finished Unearthly last night. So the beginning grated on me a little bit because it was very cliche, but then the stale characters started to get rather charming and I really liked how she developed the love story. The dilemma at the end was great. I will say that most of the plot was rather predictable, like I knew who she'd end up with the minute he was introduced and I knew the big reveal way before it happened. Anyway, by the end i did enjoy it and I'll probably pick up the second one when it comes out.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Told you so. :D

The books get better and better. I read them all in about a week. And then bought a complete set of the books for my father and my brother. They're too good not to share.

Unfortunately, I hated The Red Pyramid, which is the first book in his Kane Chronicles series, so I won't be reading that one.

And I haven't started the other Greek mythology series by him, yet. I've heard good things about it, though.

Ashleigh Nicole

But you can call me Paige.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ashleighcalhoun.blogspot.com
I'm reading Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (I already read it once and hated it, but I want to do a proper review of it and pretty much make fun of it), Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (pretty good so far), and Werelove Dusk Conspiracy by Lakisha Spletzer (for review, and it's pretty meh. Bad writing, interesting world.)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heist Society by Ally Carter. It's quite different than her Gallagher Girls books

I thought Heist Society was okay, but it didn't draw me in as much as the Gallagher Girl books.

Has anyone read the sequel to Heist Society, yet? Worth the read?

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
o_O I felt like i was pretty much the only person who did not like it (although it was not b/c of the themes). i found it overly melodramatic (not just the plot, but the prose). i felt like a huge weight was sitting on my chest the whole time i was reading it. and, for me, there was a lot of prose to trudge through.

also, i cannot help but think the whole thing was very daytime drama ;)

Haha, it was a bit. I think the plot could've been alright if it weren't for the purpliness of the descriptions. But everything was described as being so painful and horrible, even the brief good parts were sad and painful and horrible, and devolved into fights, so when the real horrific parts happened... it didn't have as much of an impact as it could've, I think.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Was reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, but I think I'll have to stop. The writing is gorgeous, but the brother is making me want to shake him. I don't see how he's likable at all.

Aw, I loved him. But it's a little too late to suggest him a psychiatrist -- like pronto!

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
just finished Forbidden (Tabitha Suzuma), and... okay, I loved the story and the family dynamics and the in-depth look into all of the characters. But... the writing just grated on me. She repeated herself sooo much. In dialogue, the character would repeat the same line over and over 'It's alright, it's alright, it's alright. It's really alright.' And in description, she'd use the same lines to describe the same feelings over and over. And also the guy cried soooo often, it just started to feel melodramatic rather than dramatic.

So... I dunno. I really wanted to love this. It is a unique story and a great idea and I enjoyed the characters. But... meh

AGREED 2x

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I finished The Lightning Thief. I really enjoyed it and plan to pick up the rest of the Percy Jackson books to see where that goes. Now I'll try to convince my brother to check this out, too. That will decide whether I read them quickly (he sometimes gets so hook on a series he'll rush out and buy the whole thing) or whether I'll wait for the boxed set that's being released at the end of August. (I like saving money and then I'll have a completely matching set of books to boot.)

Anyway, that's one down and (I think?) eight more to go if I don't count Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The Lightning Thief gets a place on my keeper list, at least until I get the matching set at the end of August -- which will just change what copy of the book gets the spot anyway.

HollyannDodd

Cat Rancher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollyanndodd.blogspot.com
Smish - I haven't read the sequel to Heist Society yet, but it's on my TBR pile.

Katallina - The whole series of Percy Jackson books is awesome. But, I really enjoyed the Red Pyramid better. It might be because I prefer Egyptian myth.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished City of Bones. Not bad for a vampire book.
Currently reading The Radleys by Matt Haig. Totally different spin on vampires.
Two vampire books back-to-back. Unusual for me.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres and so far... I love the worldbuilding. Very lush. The story itself has promise... we'll see.

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score
Rereading The Most Wanted, by Jacqueline Michard.
Brain candy, basically.
It's all I can handle right now; my preggo-hormones are preventing deep thought, lol.

edit: oops, I just realized the thread title specified YA novels. At first I just thought it said "what book are you reading".
See, told you my brain's scrambled.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
stop pretending: what happened when my big sister went crazy was really good, although i usually don't like novels of poetry, especially free verse *gag* *die* It was very touching and powerful though.

...then i met my sister was quite good also. A do-over child reads the diary of the perfect older sister who died before she was born, sordid family secrets ensue.

AND THEN! I'll Get There. It Better Be Worth The Trip. The book is 42 years old and it hasn't aged a day. Aside from some references to excessive smoking indoors, and hippies wandering the streets, it could be a contemporary setting. Wonderful voice. For those keeping track, this is the first YA LGBT novel (or at least the first one that was not about how being gay leads to horrible sadness, tragedy, and death). I think this book has seriously the best dog in the history of fictional canines. Oh, Fred the dog! Why are you not real and living in my house?

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
So I went to Border's today to check out their sale. I had an idea the discounts would be huge and a list of 20 or so YA books I wanted to get... The young adult books were only 10% off. So, yeah, I didn't end up going on my much anticipated book-shopping spree. It's sad, but even on sale many of the books there are still more expensive (or at most, the same price) than they are at Barnes & Noble (where I usually shop). I'm thinking I'll wait just a little longer and see if the discounts increase. Hopefully they'll still have some books left by that time.

Anyway, I did buy a couple books (hey, I was in a bookstore, I couldn't go away empty handed): Feed by M.T. Anderson and Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I'm about 30 pages into Feed and so far I'm liking it. There's a lot of new lingo to get a hang of, though.

And I guess I'll have to give The Lightning Thief a try since it's getting a lot of love here. The book has been sitting on my bookshelf for I don't know how long. Obviously at one point I wanted to read it.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Almost done with Wither. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.