How do I Interpret this Submission Guideline?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just beginning the query process, and I came across this in an agency's submission guidelines:

...Please send us a query letter, a brief synopsis, and up to three chapters of your novel or the proposal for nonfiction. We will not open attachments accompanying a blank email...

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to attach the 3 chapters of the manuscript, or paste in the email (that would be a LOT of pasted words in the email body!). I'm wondering if I paste the query letter and the synopsis, but attach the chapters? That way the email wouldn't be blank. Ack, I feel like such a doofus.

Thanks for any help,

c.e.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Not sure, but I pasted my first 50 pages at the bottom of a Q once. It's just time-consuming.

However, perhaps it just means attach the synop and the 3 chaps to the query email.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
So many people hate attachments that I would always paste into the email unless clearly and unequivocally instructed to attach them.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure, but I pasted my first 50 pages at the bottom of a Q once. It's just time-consuming.

However, perhaps it just means attach the synop and the 3 chaps to the query email.

This is how I would interpret it. They just want some idea in your email of what the heck is attached and why. Using your query to fill the space sounds like a fine idea.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I know, Callalily -- there are at least 87 ways to interpret this! :) But it is helpful to know you can paste a lot of pages into an email. I've just never had to send an email that long before.

Thanks, Parametric -- I'm leaning towards pasting.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
This is how I would interpret it. They just want some idea in your email of what the heck is attached and why. Using your query to fill the space sounds like a fine idea.

Hmmm. Now you've got me leaning towards attaching. I certainly wouldn't want the agent to have to scroll past a bazillion pages to find the synopsis or chapters, depending on what they want to read first.

Thanks!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
While many agents in the beginning days of the Internet would not open attachments for fear of downloading a virus, today, they can run their virus protection before opening.

Put the query in the email, just as if it was a letter query. Then put the synopsis and sample chapters as attachments. Label each clearly. IE,

Attachment 1, The Kings Mistress Synopsis,
Attachment 2, The Kings Mistress Sample Chapters,

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
While many agents in the beginning days of the Internet would not open attachments for fear of downloading a virus, today, they can run their virus protection before opening.

Put the query in the email, just as if it was a letter query. Then put the synopsis and sample chapters as attachments. Label each clearly. IE,

Attachment 1, The Kings Mistress Synopsis,
Attachment 2, The Kings Mistress Sample Chapters,

This :D

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, thothguard51 and Jamiekswriter. I think it makes sense to do exactly that. And then the agent can easily read whichever she prefers first.

Thanks again,

c.e.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You attach it, just ensure the email itself is not blank. That is, the documents should be attached to an email contain text that explains what the attached documents are.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just beginning the query process, and I came across this in an agency's submission guidelines:

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to attach the 3 chapters of the manuscript, or paste in the email (that would be a LOT of pasted words in the email body!). I'm wondering if I paste the query letter and the synopsis, but attach the chapters? That way the email wouldn't be blank. Ack, I feel like such a doofus.

Thanks for any help,

c.e.

I would paste it into the email, just to be safe. Just make sure to strip out excess formatting first, so that it doesn't appear wonky on the agent's side. And make sure it has paragraphing, so it will be readable.

However, I see that everyone else thinks it's OK to attach it, so maybe I'm wrong.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I'm one more for "attach it."

If they're asking for it, it is because they don't fear getting an attachment. The majority of people would prefer to read a large sample in a nice, easily-viewed, double-spaced font. So I would paste your query into the email, with the final paragraph indicating, "Per your website's instructions, items a and b are attached." And then attach them.

Good luck!

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I *never* attach unless it specifically asks for attachments. I don't want to give agents any reason to say 'nope.'

More agents than not fuss about attachments, and once you've formatted the first 3 chapters, you just copy from a sent email, zap it all into the default format (gmail makes this easy), and it's done.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
I think the key part of that is the "accompanying a blank e-mail" which means they WILL open attachments with a full e-mail they know about. So I'd agree you should attach the bigger stuff, and maybe paste the query or something explaining what this e-mail is.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Why not just send them an e-mail asking which approach they prefer? Their instructions are ambiguous. Ask nicely for them to be more specific. If it pisses them off enough to reject you, you don't want to do business with them anyway.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I think the key part of that is the "accompanying a blank e-mail" which means they WILL open attachments with a full e-mail they know about. So I'd agree you should attach the bigger stuff, and maybe paste the query or something explaining what this e-mail is.

Yes. That was the key phrase for me, too.

In other words, "Don't send us a subject line and a bunch of attachments."

Though, I've only queried one agency that asked for the partial upfront, and they had a web submission form to collect them. (And I had a request to query from an agent at that agency, so I skipped that part anyway.)

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, veinglory, Gillhoughly, BethS, JSSchley, HoneyBadger, M.T.Logue, and Al Stevens. In the end, I pasted the query letter, and attached the synopsis and chapters, both clearly labeled. And I indicated in my subject line that I'd attached them. Oh, and HoneyBadger -- thanks for the email formatting advice. I've never done it like that before.

Actually, I also wasn't sure how to interpret "brief synopsis" but just went with a 4 page double spaced. I found out later that another agent in the same agency asks for a 2 page synopsis, but I don't know if that's double or single. All the interpreting could make you go crazy, and it's already bringing out my neuroses.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. AW is so supportive of their fellow writers. I really appreciate being able to come here and ask advice from those with experience.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Well, if I were querying this agency read the guideline, I would interpret that they accept attachments. Otherwise, why would they say they don't accept anything attached to a blank email?

I would paste the query letter and brief synopsis in my email and attach the first three chapters.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would've gone with pasting into the body of the e-mail