Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
When writing a fiction book proposal, is a complete character list a good something that should be included? Thank you!!!

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Curious why you're writing a proposal for fiction, as apposed to a query letter?

My understanding is that proposals are commonly used to pitch non-fiction project ideas.

And if you were doing an agent query, I don't believe it's common practice to include a character list - you would instead want to highlight your primary characters in the body of your synopsis.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was asked to do a proposal for a fiction series. It was a request from an agent after a query, though, not in lieu of. And yes, it included a character overview.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
Leukman, I'm writing a proposal that was asked for from an agent AFTER they responded positively from a query letter I previously sent them.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I wouldn't include a simple character list - it means nothing by itself. A character overview that describes who they are and how they are integral to the plot/series arc is better.

But if in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to email the agent and ask for clarification of what they want in the requested proposal. They'd know better than us. ;)

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, friend. Yes, I'm including not only a character name list, but their background as well. Thanks everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.