Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29348946

Deborah, the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, and the last surviving Mitford sister, has died aged 94.

Her son, the Duke of Devonshire, announced the death in a statement from Chatsworth House, her stately home.

The six Mitford sisters, the daughters of the 2nd Baron Redesdale, were brilliantly weird and eccentric. Their father, a proud, country-dwelling conservative, did not believe in educating girls, and was rewarded with shocking scandals and astonishing behavior from his daughters.

The Mitford sisters fascinated - and sometimes scandalised - British society in the 1940s.

Unity was a friend of Hitler, Diana, the second wife of British fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley, and Jessica a left-wing polemicist.

Nancy Mitford was an author and celebrated humorist and cynic. The whole family was something peculiar and well worth reading up on.

Deborah was known as the "sensible" Mitford.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I love Nancy Mitford's books (The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate).

I don't know much about Deborah. I think a couple of Jeeves/Wooster episodes with Frye and Laurie had some thinly veiled Mitford-type characters.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jessica shook up the American funeral industry something fierce.

A fascinating family, for sure.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and link, Alessandra Kelley. Very interesting family. I added the novels and her memoir to my to-read list.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Lovell's The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family is a worthwhile read, as well as Hons and Rebels, Jessica Mitford's memoir.

Nancy Mitford's letters are also really entertaining--for example, she was close with Evelyn Waugh and his wife, whom she called "Evelyn and she-Evelyn."

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Lovell's The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family is a worthwhile read, as well as Hons and Rebels, Jessica Mitford's memoir.

Nancy Mitford's letters are also really entertaining--for example, she was close with Evelyn Waugh and his wife, whom she called "Evelyn and she-Evelyn."

I read Deborah's memoir, Wait for Me, and found it quite entertaining too.

RIP Debo

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the Duchess was friends with Patrick Leigh Fermor, and their correspondence has been made into a book. Fermor's travel diaries are great reading as well.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
Somerset Maugham called Patrick Leigh Fermor "a middle-class gigolo for upper-class women." He was extremely handsome and charming and had quite a few high class lady friends in his day. I'll have to look into if any of his dealings with the Mitford sisters were more than platonic.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I think the book is called In Tearing Haste--I've only browsed it a bit, not read the whole thing. Reading their exchanges made me feel a bit like we've evolved into a race of drive-through, lol-ing oafs. Such wit and complexity on the page from two people without--by today's standards--much formal education.

Somerset Maugham called Patrick Leigh Fermor "a middle-class gigolo for upper-class women."

Meeow! Maugham was known to be even more obsessed with class than most Brits of his time and place.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't know much about Deborah. I think a couple of Jeeves/Wooster episodes with Frye and Laurie had some thinly veiled Mitford-type characters.

I only recall the Mosley parody and his Black Shorts (because all the shirts were already taken...)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you find this sort of thing fascinating (oh, what? I think it is...) there's a gorgeous doco about the last season of debs that has D. M. and her cronies chatting about the last Season. Here.

You're welcome.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
If you find this sort of thing fascinating (oh, what? I think it is...) there's a gorgeous doco about the last season of debs that has D. M. and her cronies chatting about the last Season. Here.

You're welcome.

Splendid. And thank you. It is like viewing life in another universe.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score

You're welcome.

Thank you! :) I'll take a look.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's the Duchess's funeral today.

She transformed Chatsworth House into a thriving business and a brilliant place to visit: it's quite close to where I live, and is beautiful. She will be much missed.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
It's the Duchess's funeral today.

She transformed Chatsworth House into a thriving business and a brilliant place to visit: it's quite close to where I live, and is beautiful. She will be much missed.

I always wanted to see Chatsworth. Maybe someday...

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
The photos from her funeral really were something with the Chatsworth staff lined up along the road.