Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, I'll keep you listed as a beta for later on. Probably by April.

And hehe at the couple names. I think Marian would be the best mix for Maira and Kieran. It's just weird because it's an actual name. Oh well lol

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't really. Too much school. Besides which, the last couple of days have been extremely painful. And the pain is getting worse now than it was earlier. Naturally. *sigh*

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
How're your WIPs going, everyone? I *migh* finish mine this weekend because it's going to end much more quickly than expected.

I know that you guys don't really write and submit short stories and poetry so I'll try not to spam you with this, but I recently opened - with the co-owner of my teen writing blog - a small ezine of original and odd fiction by young people for all to read. Our mission is to show the world just how talented teen writers are and entertain and astound our readers in the process. The zine is called "The Trivial Typewriter" and we literally just launched Feb. 1. I'm pretty excited about it and hope it's a success! Anyway, I've been playing editor all night. :) Can't wait to read through the slush!
If anyone is interested in subscribing and/or submitting your poem or short story to us, we're at http://trivialtypewriter.wordpress.com

Ok, now I'm done being annoying. :) I'll need to do a little more spreading the word in other places then I'll get to my WIP.

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score
How're your WIPs going, everyone? I *migh* finish mine this weekend because it's going to end much more quickly than expected.

I know that you guys don't really write and submit short stories and poetry so I'll try not to spam you with this, but I recently opened - with the co-owner of my teen writing blog - a small ezine of original and odd fiction by young people for all to read. Our mission is to show the world just how talented teen writers are and entertain and astound our readers in the process. The zine is called "The Trivial Typewriter" and we literally just launched Feb. 1. I'm pretty excited about it and hope it's a success! Anyway, I've been playing editor all night. :) Can't wait to read through the slush!
If anyone is interested in subscribing and/or submitting your poem or short story to us, we're at http://trivialtypewriter.wordpress.com

Ok, now I'm done being annoying. :) I'll need to do a little more spreading the word in other places then I'll get to my WIP.

My WIP is going fairly well. I'm rewriting my novel Eternity (fifth rewrite). I still have probably a month of work to go, but I'm slowly getting there!

And your ezine sounds exciting! How many submissions have you gotten so far?

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score
I want to write a screenplay so I'm doing research on how one goes about writing one when I should be working on my wip haha.

I've always wanted to do a screenplay, too. I'm seriously considering doing Script Frenzy in April. :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is going fairly well. I'm rewriting my novel Eternity (fifth rewrite). I still have probably a month of work to go, but I'm slowly getting there!

And your ezine sounds exciting! How many submissions have you gotten so far?

Good luck with the WIP!
And thanks. :) It is exciting. We haven't had any submissions yet, unfortunately, but I'm not really worried. We've hardly started to promote it and those who we have promoted to said that they're working on their submissions. I'm expecting some this weekend. Thanks for asking. :)

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the WIP!
And thanks. :) It is exciting. We haven't had any submissions yet, unfortunately, but I'm not really worried. We've hardly started to promote it and those who we have promoted to said that they're working on their submissions. I'm expecting some this weekend. Thanks for asking. :)

Well, good luck to you when you start getting submissions! I hope you get some good ones. :) What kind of writing are you accepting? Just general teen writing, or are you focusing in on a genre?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, good luck to you when you start getting submissions! I hope you get some good ones. :) What kind of writing are you accepting? Just general teen writing, or are you focusing in on a genre?

More detailed submission guidelines are here. If you're interested in submitting, you should probably read through them. But here's a quick run through: we're accepting poetry and fiction, though we prefer fiction. Fiction should be between 1k and 5k words and should be weird, loose and original. We want those quirky, unusual stories stories that no one has ever thought to write before.

We also are doing an art contest for the cover of our first issue for all of you artists out there. Here's more info on that.

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score
More detailed submission guidelines are here. If you're interested in submitting, you should probably read through them. But here's a quick run through: we're accepting poetry and fiction, though we prefer fiction. Fiction should be between 1k and 5k words and should be weird, loose and original. We want those quirky, unusual stories stories that no one has ever thought to write before.

We also are doing an art contest for the cover of our first issue for all of you artists out there. Here's more info on that.

Thanks. I'll take a look at those submissions guidelines. I don't think I really have time to write a short story right now, but I'll consider submitting one if I do find the time. :)

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
>Take a break from writing outline.
>Read Retail Robin Tumblr.
>Inevitable result.

It was 1:59 in the afternoon on a bright, sunny day and I was contemplating slitting my own throat. The question was whether to do it at the cash register or walk across the store to get a good spray pattern on the intimates in women's apparel.

"Seven AM, waking up in the morning!"

My left eye twitched, but before I could make up my mind to escape the vocal hell the register beeped as my fifteen minute break ended. The light automatically lit up and announced to all the customers of Door-Mart that I was open for abuse again.

"Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs!"

Supervillains of the world if you can hear my call then please find a way to eliminate Rebecca Black!

No one answered my mental plea and the song went on. An old man walked by, glanced at my lit-up number sign above the cash register and immediately proceeded to walk three registers down. I turned my head and saw him beeline for a coworker whose sign was dark to begin unloading his cart, ignoring her pleas that she was on break. And if she refused to ring him up then she'd be the one in trouble with management. To make things worse, three other customers had lined up behind the old man, one of whom grabbed the CLOSED sign on the conveyor belt and tossed it away. Left with no other choice, she adopted the horribly fake Door-Mart smile and proceeded to be their bitch. Such was retail.

"It's Friday, Friday!"

I picked up the walkie talkie next to my register and said, "Loss Prevention this is Register 12 reporting a breach of policy."

The device crackled and a voice that could have been male or female said, "This is LP, what's the problem?"

"Someone is breaking the Geneva Convention treaty by playing this song. You know, the bit about cruel and unusual punishment."

The walkie talkie was silent for a few seconds as the Loss Prevention crew laughed, safely secluded in their office away from this nightmare. It crackled to life and said, "Sorry, can't do anything. But let us know if it shoplifts and we'll be right on it."

"It's stealing my sanity," I replied.

"Unfortunately this store doesn't stock that product. LP out."

I put the walkie-talkie back in its place and looked around the massive store, or at least as far as I could see. My coworker's line had ballooned in size and she seemed ready to cry. I looked the other way and saw two kids skateboarding over by the displays and trying to break their falls by running into them. Cans rolled everywhere and a little old lady in one of our electric carts was buried in bargain toilet paper.

"It's Friday, Friday! Gotta get down on Friday!"

With no one in my line and no management in sight my patience reached its limit. Quick as a thought my hand flashed up, pointed at the loudspeaker, and blasted it with a bolt of lightning.

The lights exploded and everything was silent. Darkness reigned in Door-Mart.

Someone screamed and all hell broke loose. Customers bolted for the doors with merchandise in their carts, my walkie talkie was exploding with the sounds of Loss Prevention tripping over each other in their office, glass rained down on the immaculate linoleum floor, and everything was sweet chaos. Time to call it a day.

Then none of that happened. In less than an instant the lights were back on, the customers were walking around, and the walkie talkie was silent. I took a glance at the clock on my register. 1:59 pm.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

I cringed and slowly turned around to find the manager staring at me impassively. She raised an eyebrow and said, "Getting off break soon?"

The register beeped behind me, the traitorous bastard.

She didn't bat an eye. "Good. Now, if you'll please get back to work then nothing will have happened. And one more thing." She pointed at the loudspeaker and the song began anew. She fixed me with a steely gaze and said, "I like this song. Best get used to it, Voltaire."

I winced at the name and she walked away.

"It's Friday, Friday! Gotta get down on Friday!"

"Fucking Timeskip," I muttered under my breath and turned around to see a wave of customers pounding for my register. As the only cashier on duty it would probably take an hour or more to clear this line again, all the while I'd be dealing with the dumbest idiots on the planet. I wasn't even allowed to electrocute them.

Such was retail. Even for a lapsed supervillain.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Cool about the ezine, MR!

Ely - I took a beginning screenwriting class in college. Writing a script is pretty freaking awesome. A program really helps with the format though. If a book of mine ever gets optioned, I want to see if I can write the script or at least have a say in it. Dunno how often that happens though...

I want to come up with a romantic retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. IDK if it'll work as a contemporary. But I've gotten a couple signs that I need to write a retelling about it. Strange as that sounds lol

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Karla! I'm excited to see where this takes me. :) Do you guys know any good places to find potential submitters (aka teen writers who like to submit short fiction)?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Karla - I've always wanted to take a screenwriting class! It seems like it would be a lot of fun and it's been my dream to write a screenplay, and to have it be made into a movie. *sighs* A girl can dream...

I LOVE retellings and I don't think I've ever read/seen any about Rumpelstiltskin so you should definitely write it. :)

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
You should do Script Frenzy for sure, then,Ely. Good luck!

And I'm still trying to come up with the idea. It's going to be the "deal-making" part of the story. I really want to make it work as a contemp romance, but we'll see if I can come up with something.

I wish coming up with this idea was as easy as coming up with CMRH's. I came across the story of Robin Hood in a book and thought...How can I make this into a romance? And then boom - I thought of jerks and nice guys and an MC who decides to help make nice guys win. A matchmaking-Robin Hood! And that's when I posted the idea on here a little over 2 years ago :D

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I came back on here a minute after you posted, Ally hehe. Perfect timing.

I'm great. Back to working on CMRH! I always come back to it. I think it's the one I truly am meant to work on. :D

I think I'm doing an all-nighter. I had a strong cup of coffee I think two hours ago and finished the last bit of it just a minute ago. But I'm making great progress on it! YAY!

How are you doing?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear CMRH is going well! I was always fond of that story!

I'm good. Debating if I should continue revisions of F.R.E.A.K.s or write some more TAJ.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! And I know how fond of it you are. I remember how you fought for my idea when it was getting some heat because my MC had a God complex :D

And good luck with whatever you decide to work on!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
still cant decide.... damn it to hell...

Maybe an hour for each.... Although an hour of editing isnt going to help much. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm soooo indecisive right now. For the last few months i cant figure out what the hell i should be working on. Polishing F.R.E.A.K.s, writing the House or TAJ. Or starting CWII!!!!

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I hate my indecisiveness. It was a huge problem for me in 2010 lol. Sort of a problem at the end of 2011 too...

I found out I was working on an old draft...boo...but I don't think I changed a whole lot. Probably just tweaked some things. I should've known I had a wrong draft. I felt like I changed some of the things I was reading lol.

I'm on page 70 of 209...Still have lots of dialogue scenes to expand. GAH. I also barely have any description of setting. Every scene is just a blank void pretty much...I'll have to do one pass with just adding setting...Not excited about that...

Status
Not open for further replies.