A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the well wishes. Slept a little better last night, and no scares from waking up not breathing. Did have one scare today, thought I was having an attack, but it was just me being anxious. Still hurt like hell, but they said it would be at least 4 weeks after before I started feeling like my old self again. Hope it's sooner though, hate this feeling. Go see the VA doc on Monday and hope he has good news, and more pain pills.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Feeling grateful

My publisher said it was time to send out requests for blurbs for the back-cover and front-pages, so I took all the names I've been carefully compiling and contacted those for whom I had an email address. There are actually a few big and pretty big names in the list and the responses showed me just how supportive writers can be to their fellow scribblers. Should I ever be fortunate enough to be in a position to return the courtesy, you can be sure I will do it. Now, pass me some chocolate. ;)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, pass me some chocolate. ;)

326mkchocbig.jpg

;)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Can I have some?

The past 36 hours or so have been an absolute nightmare. I really need something with a lot of alcohol, but I'm a responsible person (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), so sugary goodness will have to do. I hate everything! I'm gonna have to write a violent death scene or something.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, asroc. Chocolate for you, death for imaginary bad guys!

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I just wrote the entire sorry tale down because it makes me feel better. Nobody has to read it. It contains swear words and racial slurs because those are the kind of people I meet sometimes.

It all starts yesterday morning with the quiz grades of one of my classes being announced. I've really struggled with this class and you need to have a certain cumulative score on the quizzes to be allowed to take the final. I studied really hard for this one because it’s worth a lot of points. But I fell short. I can't make it up. I'm going to have to take the class again and it's not offered again until the next fall semester. My entire planning is screwed up.

Still stewing, I go to work. We're slammed. An entire unit crew is out because they both caught the flu. Today's gonna suck because people are still protesting all over town, still blocking traffic and every day they seem to be more reluctant to make room for emergency vehicles. One of our crews actually had to get out and pick up their patient on foot because they couldn't get through. I'm sympathetic to their cause, but right now they're not just inconveniencing people, they're endangering them.

Our shift starts and naturally we soon sit in traffic in a blocked street. I'm driving, trying to make as much noise as possible so they get out of the way, which they do once they notice us, but it takes time. Our patient isn't overly urgent, but he's a wicked unpleasant person. Old guy with chest pain, overwhelming body odor, hates women and minorities, cranky as hell. My partner's getting an order for opiates, meanwhile the patient is complaining loudly. "Just run them over, girl! Fuck them, stupid useless kids! Everyone's sick of this shit! Fuckin' ni**erlovers.” My partner just kind of glares at him. The patient shrugs. "No offense to you, brother." And makes a fist in what I think was supposed to be a black power salute. Couldn't get rid off that one fast enough.

A few calls on. Elderly lady, fell, can't get up, home alone. Door's open though, so we can go right in, says Operations. It's a single family home, fenced in, and inside the fence is a big dog who immediately starts barking as soon as he sees us. I don't really know dogs but my partner does. He's cautious. We call Ops. Can someone get the dog? Nope. "The caller says he's not dangerous." "Well, he looks dangerous to us." Ops sends Animal Control. They secure the dog and they agree that we shouldn't have entered the yard with the dog loose. So we finally get to our patient, apologize for the delay. "Yes, sure, I understand." Off to the hospital we go.

A small meal break later we head back to our station. The lieutenant greets us, looking serious. As soon as the lady was done at the ER she was on the phone with our leadership, filing a complaint against us. Her dog is harmless, it's a Labrador, totally friendly, she was in agony while she had to wait for us, we're negligent. Lou says it's a bullshit complaint and not to worry about it, but for now it's there.

A little while later the husband calls. He just got home after his third double shift this week. "Ally, we got water in the basement." Apparently in the first floor appartment of our building a pipe burst or something and the entire mess seeped through the ceiling into the part of the basement that belongs to us. The husband is super pissed because he keeps a lot of important stuff in there. It might be several thousand dollars worth of damage and tomorrow I'm going to have to work things out with the insurance guy. They should cover everything, but I have no patience for this crap right now.

So now I'm sitting at home expecting the car to explode or a meteor to crash through our roof. Still got work today. I think I'm gonna break out the emergency chocolate stash.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:Hug2: asroc. My goodness, what a day. :( I'd say you've had your allotment of bad luck, times several hundred.

Emergency chocolate is the least that is called for here. Here's hoping your work today is far less eventful.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, asroc, that totally sounds like the most miserable day on the planet! So sorry to hear it. :Hug2:Tons of stress.

If the dark cloud has a silver lining, it can only get better now, right? :tongue I'd say you're well due for some good luck for a change.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm thinking the universe owes Alex and Ken a break.

Actually, lump me in with that. Not got anything really to complain about, but not going to look a gift-universe in the mouth...

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
((((( Asroc ))))) What a day! People can be so ungrateful - and the more they are ungrateful the more help they need. Sigh . . . self perpetuating miseries. Hope you get to meet some nicer clients.

There is some good in the world . . . a friend of mine told me this:
a local fire fighter received and invitation to a wedding. He did not know the bride or the groom, so he phoned the bride up to query said invitation. She was not surprised he did not remember her - when she was about two years old he carried her out of a burning house, made sure she got oxygen and phoned the hospital to check if she was ok. She simply wanted the man who had saved her life to attend her wedding. He went to the service.

My life over the last a few months has been dominated by a local charity for cats. I've been helping in the shop they opened in July and have spent the last weeks sorting out the books - which is a joy and a delight for me.The manager is a pussy cat - a delightful boss who brings me chocolate muffins.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs asroc. Here's hoping that's you had the bad luck and things can start looking decent again from now on. What an awful day! I have a friend who's a trainee paramedic and she's told me some of the abuse and crap they get from patients sometimes. Never really understood why people are crappy to those trying to help them but I'm finding more and more I don't really understand most people.

I had my first days off for ages yesterday and was going to go get some presents, but my father decided to appear in Glasgow so I got nothing done. If I do Christmas shopping in front of him I'll pick something off the shelf and go 'oh that'll do Uncle' and he'll grab it, run off to pay for it and then give it saying he bought it. So now if he's here I can't even let on what I'm buying as he'll steal ideas. Still, I bought some Christmas jewellery - I usually dress up like an idiot for Christmas dinner and this year I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and do a kind of 'Frozen' theme. I think I've lost enough weight now to get into the dress.

Back to work tonight though but only for tonight then I have two days off. Two days then to get all my Christmas shopping done (apart from the stuff for those living overseas as that's all been done). Only thing is I only have three people to buy for but no matter what I get them, they'll hate it so it's still difficult.

Sad thing is I love Christmas. I love buying stuff for people and trying to figure something that they'd really like and get exactly the right card, and I love buying wrapping paper and stuff, love the idea of the family coming together for dinner. It just doesn't work out like that with my family as all they're interested in is how much they hate each other and how much they can get - did he get more money's worth than me?

So next year I am definitely going to New York to do the Christmas lights tour kind of thing. If I had thought of it earlier this year I'd be there now!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I don't often say this, but:

Your family really doesn't deserve you in their lives. I hope you know this? You seem like a very nice person, and they don't sound good to, or for you. I hope you do the New York Christmas thing next year, or whatever would be best for you. Treat yourself. You deserve it.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Asroc and Zelenka <<<<HUGS>>>>

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Oh, asroc, what an awful day! I hope things will go better for you (and your husband) soon!

Ken, glad to hear you are continuing to recover!

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Thank you for your commiseration.

Things are mildly looking up. The damage to our basement doesn't seem to be as bad as we first thought. None of my husband's stuff is irreparably damaged. Our insurance is paying for everything and we now have a pump-thingy sitting there that's supposed to suck the moisture out of the walls. It's pretty loud, but that's mostly a problem for the people who live on the first floor, and since it was their pipe I don't care all that much. (I know it's not their fault and they're nice people, but I'm still crabby.)

Complaint-wise, PSD has announced that they will get our side of the story at some point during the week, but they were ready to dismiss it just based on the complaint already, so I suppose it's going to go away.

Repeating the class still really bothers me, although the husband says it could be a good thing because I stress myself out too much anyway and that way I might have time for things other than work and school. Like writing. The man is infuriatingly reasonable, I don't know how to deal with that.

((((( Asroc ))))) What a day! People can be so ungrateful - and the more they are ungrateful the more help they need. Sigh . . . self perpetuating miseries. Hope you get to meet some nicer clients.

Heh, you wouldn't believe how many times we get flipped off on any given day... But most of our patients are quite nice and some are almost absurdly grateful. I mean, we do get paid for doing this. And unlike most EMTs, comparatively well. I do generally love my job.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are looking up, asroc. :Hug2:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from here for a bit and, wow, stuff happens!

Ken!!! Yikes! Get well soon! Asroc, Zelenka, :Hug2:You deserve so much better than that.

Like, lots of chocolate.

Ken can have the dark chocolate.

If I let him. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
*runs through MTS, throwing glitter*

You're all behaving, right? But not too much?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Behaving? I actually got my Christmas shopping done today! And remembered the birthday present for my friend who's birthday's the 29th. All I need now is wrapping paper which I'll get on Monday after the works Christmas lunch. I'm scarily well organised this year.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I were organised, Zelenka. This year I'm really running behind. Just put my Christmas tree up today. Still have presents to wrap and buy.

Bright side: I've finally finished all my treatment - last rad on Thursday - so I should have time to run to the shops.:hooray:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For certain narrow definitions of "behaving", probably. ;)

Hooray for you, muse!

I finally made the menu for Xmas Eve. We always host a family party here that night. Every year I try not to exhaust myself by making 4x as much food as needed. I usually fail. Anyone want to come here and be fed? :D

Liz is being nice enough to go buy all the ingredients this morning. I've started the long process of cleaning & decluttering our nest. "Spring cleaning?" Pfft. Leave it for winter. :tongue

Will also start making candies today. At least peppermint bark, and probably only one other, as yet unselected. (Last year I think I made six different kinds? It was a bit much.)

Will leave the making of two cakes for Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm making a new recipe that looks to die for: Chocolate fudge blackout cake.

Also making one that is known to be die-able for, for cinnamon lovers: Cinnamon roll cake. If you love iced cinnamon buns, but hate the trouble of making them, this is the recipe for you!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Muse! (I always used to turn up for the appointments early and managed to get taken hours before I was even supposed to be there, so could go shopping afterwards!) It's a great feeling when the last one's done.

Introversion - I'm really trying not to read your post, it's making me too hungry!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I'll email you some chocolate. :)

Made peppermint bark yesterday: Layer of milk chocolate with peppermint oil, sprinkled with coarse sea salt, then layer of white chocolate, then crushed peppermint candy.

Today made a 9x13" pan of what I call German-chocolate-cake marshmallows. Homemade vanilla marshmallow, with bittersweet chocolate butterscotch, shredded coconut and toasted pecan pieces swirled in. When it's cooled and set up, I'll decant the slab, cut into cubes, and dip in milk chocolate so they're not so messy to eat.