Present Tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTheebs

Banned
Reaction score
How do you feel about it?

Some people can't stand reading it all.

Others consider it a useful device of bringing the reader into the moment.

I personally don't mind reading it and have experimented with it in a few stories.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
For any story with a high element of risk I definitely prefer it. Nothing takes me out of the moment and kills the sense of jeopardy more than knowing that my MC is automatically going to pull through.

That said, being present tense is the single biggest complaint I got from my beta readers about my novel.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm okay with it right up until the first tense slip.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote two novels in past tense, subbed them to agents...nothing...but a few pubs I got offers...did my third one in present tense...subbed to agents again, and got one taker on wanting to see a full. I think it's my best work yet, and I owe most of it to present tense.

Do some contrasts, post two examples, one in past and one in present and see what people think at which one reading better. Good luck to you.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I love it.

Once you go present tense, you never go back.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely detest present tense in novels. Loathe it.

I can sometimes handle it in a short story, if it is a short story. But it always reads as a gimmick to me, and is always completely unconvincing. I also KNOW the story isn't happening as I'm reading, and this, too, throws me off.

McTheebs

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely detest present tense in novels. Loathe it.

I can sometimes handle it in a short story, if it is a short story. But it always reads as a gimmick to me, and is always completely unconvincing. I also KNOW the story isn't happening as I'm reading, and this, too, throws me off.

That's a shame.

There are many good stories written in the present tense.

It's not so much about the story happening as you're reading as making you feel more like you're a part of things as well.

But you like what you like and don't what you don't.

I'm not trying to change any minds one way or the other.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I love it.

Once you go present tense, you never go back.

Writing in present tense is like crack.

I have to force myself to write past tense now, and sometimes I still end up slipping into present tense. My stories probably are about 50/50 of each. I prefer present.

Nicole

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I write in the tense the story demands. Sometimes that's present. I often don't even notice the tense until I edit.

sambgood

Registered
Reaction score
I write in the tense the story demands. Sometimes that's present. I often don't even notice the tense until I edit.

I also write in whatever tense suits the story most. Though I do think it works really well for short stories. It might just be what I've written but I noticed that in some of my short stories, present tense increases the tension. These stories are the ones that take place in a span of minutes and are written with at least a two- or three-thousand word count.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Pfft, past and present tense are so last century. It's all about future tense now...

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Pfft, past and present tense are so last century. It's all about future tense now...

:ROFL:

To the OP:

I absolutely love present tense in short fiction. Especially when it is used in certain genres. Horror in present tense? Oh yes. Gimme. When I'm the writer, I use present tense about half as many times as I use past tense. I use the tensing that the story calls for. And I have never, ever had anyone tell me any one of my stories was gimmicky.

Present tense does take some skill to use. It has its traps (rat-a-tat styling can be harder to avoid and scribing down every. Single. Second of the day are easy traps to fall into when using present tense) just like every other tense does. But when done well... wow. Nothing like it.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's a shame.

There are many good stories written in the present tense.

It's not so much about the story happening as you're reading as making you feel more like you're a part of things as well.

But you like what you like and don't what you don't.

I'm not trying to change any minds one way or the other.

Yes, there are many good stories written in present tense, but I have yet to find one that wouldn't have been much better in past tense. Present tense does not make me feel like a part of things, it makes me feel like there's a writer right behind the story, and that nothing about it is real. The writer always stands out to me, not the story.

I just don't buy any of it, and it does come across as a gimmick. Not quite as much so as second person, but still too much for me to enjoy.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that. There's no danger of running out of past tense stories for me to read, so I'm content to leave present tense to others.

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
It's just another tool in the writer's toolbox. It can be used brilliantly or stupidly. It's all about doing what's best for the story and really, there are no right or wrong way to write a book. Hell, look at The Interrogative Mood it's a bunch of questions but it works (I think)

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
The idea behind present tense is to provide a sense of immediacy, and it's a good idea in theory. The problem for many readers, myself included, is that it often provides a sense of artificial immediacy, and when the artifice outweighs the immediacy, the writer loses me as a reader.

Once I notice a piece of fiction is in present tense, the author's half-way to losing me. Not because they're using present tense, but because I'm paying attention to the writing rather than the story.

Do it well, so all I notice is the effect you're trying to achieve and I'll love it; do it obtrusively and I'll hate it.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I mostly write in present, and from my betas opinions for the type of novel I write, they love it.

What about 1st person, pres?

If it works for you, great -if it doesn't work for you, not so great. It's all about what best serves the story, and the problem with present is that there's very rarely a middle ground.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to amend my earlier statement. I love 1st person, present tense.

I hate 3rd-present. I've never read a novel or story written in 3rd-present that worked for me.

screamingturnip

Registered
Reaction score
Present tense is really the only easy way to write immediately and that makes it indispensable. That's redundant I know but what I'm trying to say is there is no timing device inherent in literature and present tense sort of sidesteps that by being in the moment.
Sometimes I even write present tense, 2nd person. Although mostly my 2nd person is 1st person in denial.
I make very little sense and I'm sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.