Word for Mac

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Long story short...I had to get a new "used" Mac, and I ran out of licenses for my 2013 Office for Mac.

Does anyone know a comparable app for Mac that can read Word documents and still keep them formatted correctly? I guess that part's a bonus, but it'd be nice.

Either that or a cheap way to buy Word for Mac?

Thanks in advance to those more techy than me. :)

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
the cheapest I can think of is on ebay.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
One cheap method is Office Online.

US$7/month for a single subscription, or US$10/month for a family one that permits up to five installations of Office 2013, and automatic upgrades (which may not always be good, as the response to the Office ribbon bar points out).

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
LibreOffice

The formatting may get wonky at times, but it reads Word documents just fine and it's free.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Pages from apple works decently with Word. I have no idea of the price, though.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pages is $19.99 in the App Store. It'll read basic formatting such as bold, underscore, and italics but I'm not sure if any specialty formatting, like columns and text blocks, will carry over.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
One cheap method is Office Online.

US$7/month for a single subscription, or US$10/month for a family one that permits up to five installations of Office 2013, and automatic upgrades (which may not always be good, as the response to the Office ribbon bar points out).

I looked into this...you're talking about the 365, right? Office 365? My husband is totally against locking into a monthly subscription. If I have to buy Office, he just wants me to buy it.

LibreOffice

The formatting may get wonky at times, but it reads Word documents just fine and it's free.

Maybe I'll try this one first. See how it works. Since it's free. I don't have any crazy formatting in Word...but one of my WIPs has text blocks for the MC's blog entries. That might get weird. But it's worth a shot before spending money.

And maybe I can try Pages before Word if LibreOffice doesn't work. But then if THAT doesn't work, it's $20 I just wasted.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I looked into this...you're talking about the 365, right? Office 365? My husband is totally against locking into a monthly subscription. If I have to buy Office, he just wants me to buy it.

Fair 'nuff. It's not really a lock, since you can quit anytime. No commitment involved.

Are you looking for the whole Office suite? Word, all by itself, is about $70, depending on how you get it.

Double-check me on the non-commercial aspect at the link above. I don't think that means you can't use it for your writing as a professional. I think it means it can't be part of something for which you charge others.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Fair 'nuff. It's not really a lock, since you can quit anytime. No commitment involved.

Are you looking for the whole Office suite? Word, all by itself, is about $70, depending on how you get it.

Double-check me on the non-commercial aspect at the link above. I don't think that means you can't use it for your writing as a professional. I think it means it can't be part of something for which you charge others.

No, it's not a lock. But if you opt out, there goes Word...

I was trying to find Word by itself for Mac and couldn't. I'll take a look at your link. Thanks!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
No, it's not a lock. But if you opt out, there goes Word...

I was trying to find Word by itself for Mac and couldn't. I'll take a look at your link. Thanks!

Woops, that was Word for Windows. I'll check, too, for Mac.

By the way, I messed that up, too. MS Word for Mac doesn't have a 2013 version. It's 2011.

And, apparently, it's more expensive, too.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Woops, that was Word for Windows. I'll check, too, for Mac.

By the way, I messed that up, too. MS Word for Mac doesn't have a 2013 version. It's 2011.

And, apparently, it's more expensive, too.

That's okay. Yeah...it's pricey. That's why it was so awesome I could originally get it through work for $10. But I used up my only opportunity until, I guess, Office comes out with a newer edition.