The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckEaston

Okay, I don't get it.

Is HB actually suggesting that Kevin sent this information via HB? What?

:smack

James D Macdonald

Re: Exposing PA facts

Sorry, Kevin, that's bad math. It only works if you assume that each bookstore only orders one copy of one book when they call that "average 250 times each day." Unfortunately, we don't know if the stores order one, two, or a thousand copies in any of those calls. (I know what you suspect, and I suspect the same thing, but it's not derivable from the information given.)

There are fun things we can derive from "Fact #4" of theirs, but that isn't one of them.

This can be derived: "Each day, an average 12 times a PublishAmerica author is invited to do a book signing or another in-store event at a bookstore or a library."

12 times a day * 365 days in a year = 4380 invites in a year.

4380 invites / 5000 happy authors = 0.876 = 87.6% of PA authors get one invite during the course of a year. The other 12.4% don't get invited at all. For every happy author who gets a second invite, there's another not-so-happy author who loses his.

I do wonder how many of those "invites" were actually the PA author calling the community relations manager rather than the other way around. In other words, they invited themselves.

DaveKuzminski

I think Kevin's close to the truth. PA has a nasty habit of stating things in a manner that appears to make them look bigger than they are while sticking close enough to the truth that they can still wiggle out of it in court, or so they think.

I think the operative word is "a" title. Not two copies of each title which is something that PA would literally crow about. Even then, they're probably using averaged figures for their statement.

DeePower

There is no place for bookstores to log on

other than the normal order form at the PA website. And even if the bookstore orders through that order form how would PA know it was a bookstore.

On another topic. I am going to be contacting the reporters I know at Business Week, Wall Street Journal and USA Today about the alledged discrepancies between what PA says and what they actually do and the way they treat their authors.

If you haven't already contacted me and are willing to be interviewed and be quoted by name, contact me at [email protected] Your name will not be included in the query letter and of course you have the choice to decline being interviewed when you find out which publication is interested. I will not be writing the story, I can't be unbiased as a journalist in this case. (that might be my understatement of the year)

If you're wondering how I know these reporters, it's from my former career as a consultant, that I am considered an expert in venture capital, business planning, and entrepreneurs and that my (our) previous two books are about venture capital etc.

Dee

DaveKuzminski

Re: There is no place for bookstores to log on

Dee, stuck key on your keyboard?

As to interviews, I'm available.

KW

Jim

Never was great at math. I just took into account a title since the majority of bookstores will only order a PA book when it is requested.

But to be fair, add a few more thousand to bookstore sells and subtract that from the author bought copies. The author bought copies still comes out to be more.

The figure might not be dead on, but close enough, in a round about way.

Let HB sue me. The last I checked they had no basis to do that on. Everything I posted is accurate and can be proven. The fake mss was an attempt to see how accurate their promises were. If anybody can get sued for checking on the reliability of facts then there would be a lot of news organizations that would be sued as well.

HB, just so you know. I have a 1988 Nissan sentra. It's paid for, if you want it. You might get stranded trying to drive it to Ohio though. Come and get it, just make sure you have court documentation to prove it's yours.

I made you mad? Oh, well. I guess showing the truth will do that to some people. Plus, what basis do you have to sue me on anyway? Did I prove you were Mr. Book? Nope. Did I take away sells from your books? Nope, but even if I did I could sue you as well for the same reason. Your behavior on the PA MB could have scared potential buyers away resulting in the sell of a book. In fact I could say the same thing for PA. My book could be with a REAL publisher right now making me some money, but it's stuck at PA, because they lied to me to get me to sign with them, and now the sales are almost non existent.

If you guys want to sue me, go ahead. Appeals and counter suits can easily follow.

Have a nice day.:D

Kevin

Ed Williams 3

Kevin, you'll never see a suit...

...from HB. Trust me. However, PA needs to do some serious thinking about their chief spokesperson. Some of his comments are quite threatening, and even border on libel or worse. PA needs to think about the fact that lots of us save these threads before they get pulled, and is it worth risking HB spouting off late one night and his post lasting long enough for the wrong set of eyes to see it? Y'all may be crooked, but you have certainly shown the ability and willingness to make a buck - why imperil all that for a jerk who doesn't seem to be able to sell books in the first place. Are the diatribes worth it, is he bringing in new business for you?

DaveKuzminski

Re: Kevin, you'll never see a suit...

Ed, I think at this point, HB is too much a part of them for them to cut him loose or attempt to muzzle him. Either way, he'll probably turn on them. He'll deny that until it happens. Then stand back. He'll be offering information to the highest bidder.

For now, their safest bet is to watch for his posts and yank anything he posts that threatens their security.

Frankly, I think Joyce Rapier is far more dangerous than HB. She draws in victims because she doesn't threaten them. She tries to make every PA offer sound like it's made from fresh dough sweetened with honey.

arainsb123

Whiners.net parody

I read the Whiners.net parody and it was hilarious. Don't get me wrong, I love writers.net, but whiners.net was scarily accurate about how some of the writers.net users behave.

Especially when the trolls posted. LOL.

KW

Whiners.net parody

I was laughing my butt off. Sorry people, but it was funny. I guess his whole website did what he wanted it to, because now I want to buy his book.

Controversy does sell.

Kevin

BeckEaston

Dee count me in!

We talked right? Quote me, use my web site...do whatever! Good luck to you.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Okay, I don't get it.

While doing a search of the Ripoff site, I discovered that two complaints come up using "PublishAmerica" and one comes up when using "Publish America" so it occurred to me that the same problem might be happening in other search engines. With that in mind, I think we should advise everyone to use both forms in the body of any complaint or posting on the Internet.

snarzler

Maybe its just me but when I type in whiners.net I get a page of links for beers and cigarettes.
Am I doing something wrong? :shrug

Andrea :peace

arainsb123

The Whiners.net parody board doesn't actually have a domain name, I don't remember where it's hosted.

James D Macdonald

Ripoff Reports

I'd like to recommend that anyone who has a first-person complaint with PublishAmerica post their story at <a href="http://www.ripoffreport.com/default.asp" target="_new">Ripoff Reports</a>. It can't hurt for authors who are searching for information to find it there.

absolutewrite

Re: Jim

:ha I love the Whiners.net parody! That just made my afternoon. Patiently waiting for a parody of the AW Water Cooler...

snarzler

Whiners link

HConn

Thank you for the links.

After reading...oh boy! :ssh

Andrea :peace

Risseybug

Re: Article

Wow, that was funny. I like the parody of our favorite watchdog, Dave.

Oh man, do it again, do it again!!!:rofl :rofl

TerriLynn

Re: Whiners.net parody

:rofl :rollin :lol
OMG, I just read the parody...which I have never heard of until now.

It's really hysterical...however...I don't think the people he's referring to would think so. (and I know who most of them are since I was around during those trying times)

Tooooo funny!!

emeraldcite

Re: Whiners.net parody

When you remind them that a good CD costs 20 bucks and you can listen to them in 20 minutes, they usually get the picture.

lol... i haven't seen a 20 dollar cd since ... the mid 90s. I don't think i ever paid 20 bucks for 20 minutes of music. most cds run 10-16 now, and the price is dropping. if i see a place that's trying to sell a cd for 18-19, i go on amazon or another store...

Status
Not open for further replies.