Why do you write what you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit, it's addictive. My ninth book will be released next month and it never seems to get old.

For a long while I tried with romance, because it seemed like a more practical choice (market), but didn't get anywhere with it, and honestly my heart wasn't in it, so now I write what I love, trite as that sounds.

See, I guess what I'm wondering, is how to reconcile these seemingly opposing but equally valid approaches to writing. Would I be wrong in assuming that what most of us want is a readership? For those of us who've yet to build a readership, would we agree that there's a decision to be made? The decision between (a) studying the markets, choosing a vibrant market that you have some talent for, and writing to that market and (b) letting your interests and preferences, write whatever book you want to write, regardless of what genre label someone else will slap on it after the fact.

For me, it's all about readership. With that should come some money. A lot would be nice, some would be acceptable, but I really don't know how you get a readership without selling a lot of books. At the risk of repeating myself, do we believe that the best way to get a readership is to write to a healthy market, or to write what some have suggested on this thread, what you love, and therefore, you would think, where you will be most effective? I'm obviously torn between which direction I should go in. Maybe there's no universal answer, and I will say that I've noticed that when you have restrictions, limitations, (genre rules) it forces you to find creativity within that structure.

(I hope some of this makes a little sense - I'm grappling with ideas)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
...I currently only write Erotic Romance. I didn't set out to write in this genre, but that's where my first book went. I sold that book, wrote another one and then sold it. Rinse and repeat.

Just want to make it clear, if it wasn't clear already, that I'm mindful that Beachgirl did not set out to write to a genre, and that I for one, if I were lucky enough to be in the same position, would do the same exact thing.

djwv

Lucid Storyteller (Self-proclaimed)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storyandcraft.net
I write what I write because inside me is a story that only I can put into words. To express the unexpected. To create new worlds and characters. To connect with people by offering a form of escapism (including myself).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A great thing about fantasy is that it's so broad as a genre too. So many people think it's just tales of un-reflective high adventure, set in some quasi middle ages Europe. But that hasn't ever been true, really, and it's definitely not true now.

I just read an essay about genre distinctions on the web somewhere, and the author tossed out an example about expectations, and he said that "readers of fantasy, for instance, don't want intensely emotional stories that dive deeply into a character's psyche. They want event-driven stories with heroes who act without reflecting too much on consequences."

I felt like shit for about ten seconds, because I'm trying to write fantasy with very deep characterization and psychological elements (and so, I worried, maybe that's why I haven't gotten an agent yet). But then I think of the agents I've run across who say they want character-driven fantasy, and I think of all the deeply psychological fantasy I've run across, not only recently, but decades ago, and I realized this person was talking out of his ass.

So I'm guessing there's not just one reason why people choose to write in their preferred genres.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I write a subset of what I read, but I could not, for the life of me, tell you why I like particular genres.

I read crime that's not set in major cities in the UK, US and Australia; literary fiction; non-epic fantasy; and historical, biographical and scientific non-fiction.

I write police procedurals set in rural Australia, and natural history non-fiction. I've got projects lined up that include historical fiction and off-kilter crime. (I'm not quite sure what 'off-kilter crime' is, but I expect I'll find out when I'm writing it.)

That doesn't really answer the question, does it?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
See, I guess what I'm wondering, is how to reconcile these seemingly opposing but equally valid approaches to writing. Would I be wrong in assuming that what most of us want is a readership? For those of us who've yet to build a readership, would we agree that there's a decision to be made?

I agree--they are both valid approaches-- and spent much time asking those same questions. My one overriding thought when asked about my writing is that I write to be read. I don't think it's a decision everyone has to make, there are many who love the genre they write in, and that genre happens to be a popular one.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I write a subset of what I read, but I could not, for the life of me, tell you why I like particular genres.

I read crime that's not set in major cities in the UK, US and Australia; literary fiction; non-epic fantasy; and historical, biographical and scientific non-fiction.

I write police procedurals set in rural Australia, and natural history non-fiction. I've got projects lined up that include historical fiction and off-kilter crime. (I'm not quite sure what 'off-kilter crime' is, but I expect I'll find out when I'm writing it.)

That doesn't really answer the question, does it?

I guess what I'm really asking, in my clumsy way, is do we think it's wiser to write to a market (I do believe that parameters can inspire even more creativity because they give us something to bounce off of) or do we write with no regard to genre and hope it finds a home?

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess what I'm really asking, in my clumsy way, is do we think it's wiser to write to a market (I do believe that parameters can inspire even more creativity because they give us something to bounce off of) or do we write with no regard to genre and hope it finds a home?

The wise thing to do is be realistic; if you write to a market, you may have more readers and therefore more publicity and profit. If you do not write to a market, then you may end up writing the story you really want to write, regardless of readership. Both ways are valid, both ways can produce wonderful, lively, well-written material. And certainly if a piece is wonderfully written, it may find a home regardless. But if you write a piece that is not written to the market, then you need to realize that it may not sell.

Personally, I really want a readership. I write to an audience. As it happens, what I write is usually mainstream fiction, so I end up writing towards a very large market anyway. But my first major project (since stuck in a drawer and probably for the best) was about a lesbian romance, which I started about ten years ago, when lesbians were a little more scandalous than they are now. I'm glad I wrote it and it was a life changing project for me, even though the readership was about two people strong (and one of those readers was me.)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The wise thing to do is be realistic; if you write to a market, you may have more readers and therefore more publicity and profit. If you do not write to a market, then you may end up writing the story you really want to write, regardless of readership. Both ways are valid, both ways can produce wonderful, lively, well-written material. And certainly if a piece is wonderfully written, it may find a home regardless. But if you write a piece that is not written to the market, then you need to realize that it may not sell.

Personally, I really want a readership. I write to an audience. As it happens, what I write is usually mainstream fiction, so I end up writing towards a very large market anyway. But my first major project (since stuck in a drawer and probably for the best) was about a lesbian romance, which I started about ten years ago, when lesbians were a little more scandalous than they are now. I'm glad I wrote it and it was a life changing project for me, even though the readership was about two people strong (and one of those readers was me.)

Yes, I've said in this thread, probably more than once, that I want a readership. Otherwise, you're singing in the shower and the rewards aren't very sustaining. The first book I wrote was very much a labor of love. It was the book I always knew I would write; was even given a directive at one time by the MC of this roman a' clef (meaning I was told that I would do it). And I'm happy with the results, artistically, but it's just not enough.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you say mainstream fiction does that include anything that's not genre fiction? Does that include literary fiction? Are there subgenres within Mainstream Fiction? Sorry, that was more than one stupid question, wasn't it? (Oh, and there's another one!)

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a stupid question, because I think it's an umbrella term. ;) Technically, mainstream fiction is just fiction that's not genre fiction. What I mean when I say it is that I write about things that could conceivably happen to real people in the real world. Sometimes this involves elements from other genres (like romance, since real people fall in love all the time, or crime, since real people seem to kill each other left and right.) But I do not follow the genre conventions of romance or crime novels.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Got it, thanks. So is there a distinction between Mainstream and Literary fiction?

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I think of literary fiction as being more about the ideas and mainstream fiction as more about the story. Lit fic is often about controversial topics, philosophical topics. The writing style is usually different too. In mainstream fiction, the writing must be designed to draw the reader into a story, into the lives of characters, into the action, and therefore is often more transparent than in lit fic.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

It doesn't have to be one extreme or another. It's easy to get polarised and think that we're faced with to extreme opposites that can't be reconciled.

In this case, ask yourself what you really want to write, then ask yourself how much of a market what it potentially has. If there's very little market for it, then ask yourself how much that really matters to you. If it matters a lot, then look for something that you'd enjoy writing, but is a bit different has has more of a market. You don't have to go to the polar opposite of what you want to write (or write something you'd hate to write) to find a market.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Why? Because I can't stand not to! Right now there's a person who's having a hard time in life and needs an escape. I want to provide that, because I gobbled up stories (via comics and TV instead of real books...big regret) and wanted to hug the people who wrote them. Something to take me out of a life that was being cruel and painful, or boring and dull.

As a writer, I also want to ponder deep social questions that are ignored and unanswered. It's not my primary objective, but I think every writer wants to try. Other than that, my main job is to dazzle people because, dang it, that means something!

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
I am a fantasy writer (or at least, I aim to be). Urban fantasy to be a bit more exact. As for why I write it it's because that is what I enjoy reading and always have. I have been writing in this current world in some way since around 2001/2002, though it has gone through a few changes in that time.

The only downside to doing urban fantasy right now is that it has been SO popular. So when people ask what I write and I tell them, they act like I decided to write it just because of the popularity. Then I feel a bit hipster when I explain I have been doing so since before everyone else did LMAO.

I do also want to try and write something horror based, but will have to see what happens!

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I write what I would want to read. If I have two or three ideas hopping around in my head, which one would I grab off the bookshelf first, that's the one I go after.

Kakko

Registered
Reaction score
I write what I write because I am inspired by the things I've gained knowledge from. I want to use this knowledge to express ideas that other people can learn from.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be one extreme or another. It's easy to get polarised and think that we're faced with to extreme opposites that can't be reconciled.

In this case, ask yourself what you really want to write, then ask yourself how much of a market what it potentially has. If there's very little market for it, then ask yourself how much that really matters to you. If it matters a lot, then look for something that you'd enjoy writing, but is a bit different has has more of a market. You don't have to go to the polar opposite of what you want to write (or write something you'd hate to write) to find a market.

This is excellent advice. Thank you.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just read an essay about genre distinctions on the web somewhere, and the author tossed out an example about expectations, and he said that "readers of fantasy, for instance, don't want intensely emotional stories that dive deeply into a character's psyche. They want event-driven stories with heroes who act without reflecting too much on consequences."

I'd like to know what fantasy this person has been reading. Sure, if you read the popcorn D&D stuff (which can be enjoyable if you're in that kind of mood), this is true. But most of the fantasy that's out today is intensely emotional. In fact, I've found fantasy has a greater ability to affect me emotionally than any other genre.

And why can't you have an event-driven story in which the character reflects on the consequences of their actions? I believe that's a typical part of the scene/sequel structure. Jim Butcher, one of the most action-driven writers in fantasy, heavily uses such scenes (and advises other writers to do the same).

In fact, I highly recommend reading Butcher's post on this.

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/2880.html

Last edited:

JTShadow56

The Sith Lord of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy, contemporary fantasy to be exact and i write it i'm a fantasy addict. Plus when i write fantasy, i can do things in my novel that i would love to do in the real world

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Got it, thanks. So is there a distinction between Mainstream and Literary fiction?

For a mostly complete(?) description of writing classifications and defining the word genre, please see this list.

I write what I write because so few do and it's the sort of thing I hunger to read. For me, character driven fiction in scenes of modern reality hold infinite variables in why people do what they do. The choices that 'everyday' characters might make fascinate me as much as sentences I've never read before attract my attention. Combine the two, and I can't turn away. I become the voyeur of my own private auto accident: a mix of metal, flesh, and purposeful design crumpled across fate.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Some readers may want exactly that, but plenty of others want more depth. There's room for both kinds.

Got a link to the essay?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided not to write what i write any longer, because writing what I write means nobody wants to read it. So I'm going to start writing what I can't write.

Which means I can't write no more.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.