The Bouncy Castle in Space

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll just sit here and let Timp's bounces bounce me too.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost too dizzy to see straight after watching Timp's bounces, but my son just tossed down a Bone book and said, "Ooooh, I hate that!"
I asked him what he was talking about, and he said, "I hate it when they leave a cliffhanger at the end like that."
Then he had to read me the last dozen pages or so, so that I could understand what a cliffhanger is.
Funny kid.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Dude, be careful! You're going to deflate the bouncy castle! :roll:

A few years back, my school had a bouncy house for the spring carnival. They tried plugging it into the office sockets... Blew out the fuse and the house deflated with kids still inside.

You've never seen such panicked parents...

Most of the kids thought it was hilarious. At least, once they were rescued.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You know what sucks? When it's your birthday, and your dad brings cupcakes to school, and you have a few left over, so the teacher packs them up and lets you take them home, and in the bus line a kid asks you for a cupcake, and you tell him No, and he punches you in the eye.

That sucks.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Good lord! That really does suck! You have my sympathies. Did that happen to you once or to your son?

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
We keep a big bouncy house at my parents' house for my girls and my nieces. Our kids do this on purpose. They think it's just great.
A few years back, my school had a bouncy house for the spring carnival. They tried plugging it into the office sockets... Blew out the fuse and the house deflated with kids still inside.

You've never seen such panicked parents...

Most of the kids thought it was hilarious. At least, once they were rescued.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
WTH? Yes, that really does suck. ((
You know what sucks? When it's your birthday, and your dad brings cupcakes to school, and you have a few left over, so the teacher packs them up and lets you take them home, and in the bus line a kid asks you for a cupcake, and you tell him No, and he punches you in the eye.

That sucks.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bullies suck. Did the kid get reprimanded?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It happened to one of my first graders on Friday. And of course it had to be the most sensitive kid in my entire class. He came back to me with his dumped-over box of cupcakes, and he was so upset he couldn't even breathe. I thought he was having an asthma attack, and it took us five minutes to get him calm enough to tell me what happened.

And yeah, that other kid is mean. I had him last year for the first semester. Until mom pulled him out of my class because she felt I was picking on him.

*sigh*

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
That is so sad, Judy. Kids can be so mean.

If there's one thing I've noticed about "mean kids" it's this - their parents always think the problem is the other kid, or the teacher, or anyone other than their kid.

In every class my kids have been in, this has been the case. Lots of times, the kids are straightened out by their friends over time.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I spent the morning baking.

Who wants cupcakes?

I have pumpkin orange with walnuts and cream cheese frosting.

And then there's the peanut butter cream filled chocolate chip brownie cupcakes. They haven't cooled enough yet to fill, but should be okay in about thirty minutes.

I'll warn you, though, even licking the batter off the spoon is almost enough to cause an O (I won't spell it out because we're kids, here).

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. He'll remember it forever, if he's anything like me. One of my strongest childhood memories is having captured a dragonfly in a jar and being so excited to show it off at school only to have a big bully (girl!) and her gang attack me and smash it on the street. Of course, from the dragonfly's POV they were being absolutely heroic. :)

On a happier note...CUPCAKES! :D

:Jump:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'll never forget when Ronnie Joe Carr put a huge grasshopper down the back of my shirt and slapped me really hard on the back. Bullies are so disgusting and sad.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
ooh, sissybaby, I can't decide. Can I have one of each??? Pretty please???

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll never forget when Ronnie Joe Carr put a huge grasshopper down the back of my shirt and slapped me really hard on the back. Bullies are so disgusting and sad.

ooh, sissybaby, I can't decide. Can I have one of each??? Pretty please???

Ms Judy, you want a grasshopper down your shirt and a slap on the back?:Wha:

Oh, wait! The cupcakes. Yes, I'll take one of each, too, please. Or maybe two of each. Is there enough for me to have three of each?

And yes, bullying is disgusting and sad. I hope the rest of that poor kid's birthday went better.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'll never forget when Ronnie Joe Carr put a huge grasshopper down the back of my shirt

It was a WORM down the back of my shirt. And my so-called friends did it.

These stories are very sad. There's a huge anti-bullying push in schools now, and that's a good thing. But I don't think it's something you can totally eradicate. So much goes on just out of the eyesight and earshot of adults. What you can do is empower kids to advocate for themselves instead of just accepting it, and, most importantly, train adults to investigate instead of just saying "kids will be kids" or, worse, "it builds character".

I heard a great talk last year by Heather Brewer (the Vlad Chronicles). She spoke about being bullied as a kid, and that was a big influence on her writing. The blog post about it is here if you want to read it: http://readatouille.blogspot.com/2010/10/big-read-part-6-heather-brewer.html

And please pass the cupcakes!

Last edited by a moderator:

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
I had a bully once wrestle me to the ground and pull my hair. It wasn't pretty. :(

Pumpkin orange cupcakes?!!! If I'm not careful, I could clean you out of the whole lot! Thanks Sissybaby! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too bruised and battered to bounce. I fell today. In front of hundreds of people.

Much of my body is the color of grape gum that's been chewed for too long. But I'm lucky I didn't die from embarassment.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Smish, ouch! I'm sorry to hear about that! You deserve a hug. :e2arms: You didn't break anything, did you?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too bruised and battered to bounce. I fell today. In front of hundreds of people.

Much of my body is the color of grape gum that's been chewed for too long. But I'm lucky I didn't die from embarassment.

Oh noes! :( Sorry to hear it. I also have a knack for falling on my face in front of many people, and trying to act like I meant to do it. I feel your pain, both internal and external.

I'm in San Diego with my parents and their BFFs and a cute Australian Shepherd, huzzah! The doggie has old people for parents. When I got down on the ground to roll around with him, he got really scared. I had to get up and apologize, and reassure him that I was a person :D