Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer, which I enjoyed. I think I have a thing for girls who push gender boundaries on boats. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi has been a longtime favorite of mine since I accidentally stole a copy from my fifth grade teacher.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Vengekeep Prophecies, and ended up enjoying it, thought I had a problem with the cavalier attitude toward thievery at the start. I won't spoil the ending, but this family's selfishness basically puts in motion a prophecy that would cause the destruction of their town (and probably the death of a lot of people), and I found it hard to root for them at the start. But they grew on me.

Am reading the new Lemony Snicket - Who Could That Be At This Hour? I have the feeling there are tons of inside jokes that are going over my head. I had the same feeling with A Series of Unfortunate Events. Nudge-nudge, wink wink kind of stuff. It's funny, though, and I'm enjoying it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The kiddos of the lower reading group and I are still plowing through Morning girl. Sigh. Still awful and dull. Author uses such convoluted literary turns of phrase that it's almost impossible for the kids to tell what's going on. I myself am not doing that well at it! Today one of the kids told me he read the ending on his own and it was "so unbelievably cheesy". Ouch.

Anybody read those Warriors books, about the feral cats that fight each other (or something)? A lot of kids and now a lot of parents have been enthusiastically urging me read them. They don't look that delightful but I suppose it's possible. Someone told me there are 43 books in the series. !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
My son read a couple of those Warrior cat books, but I never could. What he ended up loving, though, was her series on bears - there's a black bear, a brown bear and a polar bear. The series is called Seekers. He liked those better than the cats. He loves, loves, loves animals, so it's perfect for him. Before those, I could only ever get him to read non-fiction animal books.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
My son read a couple of those Warrior cat books, but I never could. What he ended up loving, though, was her series on bears - there's a black bear, a brown bear and a polar bear. The series is called Seekers. He liked those better than the cats. He loves, loves, loves animals, so it's perfect for him. Before those, I could only ever get him to read non-fiction animal books.

I'm the exact opposite. I love the Warriors couldn't get into the Seekers, and have recently picked up the new series Survivors, not really loving it either.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the fourth Fablehaven book. I'm enjoying this series immensely.

Loved Fablehaven!! Couldn't get into Beyonders. Read the 1st book, but 2nd book went back to the library after reading just a couple of chapters. I hope whatever he does next interests me more.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
My kids love Warriors, and really didn't like Seekers.

I read one set of the Warriors. They're OK in small doses, but I don't like series that go on forever. My kids, on the other hand, don't tire of it, and can remember every single character and clan and how they interacted in all the different books.

I'm not sure of the details, but my 10yo tells me that they are written by four different people, not one. That's how they've managed to have 24 books and still counting.

I have to say I'm tired of them, and don't want to read more. They're rather clumsy to read aloud to kids. Occasionally the plot gets intriguing and makes me want to read on, but mostly, it's a chore. But I can't see an end in sight, my kids have more of them on their holiday lists.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Have any of you with animal-loving kiddos tried the WEREWORLD series by Curtis Jobling?I hear it's very good, but can never seen to get a hold of Book 1 at the library...

Dave

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
My kids love Warriors, and really didn't like Seekers.

I read one set of the Warriors. They're OK in small doses, but I don't like series that go on forever. My kids, on the other hand, don't tire of it, and can remember every single character and clan and how they interacted in all the different books.

I'm not sure of the details, but my 10yo tells me that they are written by four different people, not one. That's how they've managed to have 24 books and still counting.

I have to say I'm tired of them, and don't want to read more. They're rather clumsy to read aloud to kids. Occasionally the plot gets intriguing and makes me want to read on, but mostly, it's a chore. But I can't see an end in sight, my kids have more of them on their holiday lists.

Yes, the books are written by multiple authors using the same pen name, learned that from an interview given by one of them (representing the whole group) years ago, but anyway...

My only beef with Warriors (Or Redwall, to a lesser extent) is that people have such a narrow view of the VARIETY in animal fantasy BEYOND the picture book world, in part because readers (parents in particular) see only one (albeit major) facet of the genre, and think that's all there is. That's already on top of the "Classics" that didn't have to adhere to the rigid standards of today.

Sometimes as writers I feel we can get hung up on how we're comparable to what's come before us (For market reasons) more than celebrating how we're different.

But I'll stop there or I'll rant again.:flag:

That said, britwriter, I think it's fair to make the point that some books in general aren't natural read-aloud stories, but read fine on the page, you know?:Shrug:

Lots of popular easy reader series or even chapter book series are like that, because they use more "said" tags and things like that, to help those learning to read, but would read odd to a more confident or fluent reader aloud, I know we're not talking about early reader books, it's just something to consider in general.

Last edited:

deblyfe

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Windblowne by Stephen Messer. MG novel. I don't have time to read for more than a few minutes each day right now, but the book has me curious and wishing I had more time!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the new Lemony Snicket, and enjoyed it. Then I read Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairlyland in a Ship of something something - really, that title is too long. Very clever book. Had some slow spots, but I enjoyed it and will probably read the sequel if I can find it at my library.

I downloaded the free samples of a few books that caught my attention - Gary Paulsen's Notes From a Dog (I read somewhere that Paulsen shows he just "gets" how the adolescent boy's brain works, and that's something I've been trying to figure out for years), Laura Amy Schlitz's Splendors and Glooms (A Drowned Maiden's Hair ranks as one of my favorites), and Code Name Verity, which I've heard a lot of people talk about, and is YA. I want to read them all.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read My Mixed Up Berry Blue Summer, which I enjoyed a lot. MC is dealing with her mom marrying someone she doesn't like that much, AND coming out in a small town as a kid with lesbian parents. The author did a nice job of capturing the very mixed and ever changing feelings of a pre adolescent kid facing homophobia. It had some mixed reviews on Amazon, but I don't think the negative reviewers understood the emotional journey very well.

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the new Lemony Snicket, and enjoyed it. Then I read Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairlyland in a Ship of something something - really, that title is too long. Very clever book. Had some slow spots, but I enjoyed it and will probably read the sequel if I can find it at my library.

I am a big fan of Valente. I haven't read the second fairyland book yet, but I love the first one.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'm reading a book called A WHOLE LOT OF LUCKY by Danette Hayworth. I picked it up because Kate Messner recommended it for people who liked GIANNA Z. It's no Gianna Z. I don't know - I'm halfway through and should reserve judgment. But I find the MC really bratty.

The premise is that a struggling lower income family wins the lottery. It's a great premise that I had high hopes for. But I'm just finding the MC to be really unlikable. It is interesting that she gets a laptop and a cell phone, and there is a lot about texting and Facebook, etc., which I haven't seen too much in middle grade before.

Good voice, though.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the books are written by multiple authors using the same pen name, learned that from an interview given by one of them (representing the whole group) years ago, but anyway...

My only beef with Warriors (Or Redwall, to a lesser extent) is that people have such a narrow view of the VARIETY in animal fantasy BEYOND the picture book world, in part because readers (parents in particular) see only one (albeit major) facet of the genre, and think that's all there is. That's already on top of the "Classics" that didn't have to adhere to the rigid standards of today.

Sometimes as writers I feel we can get hung up on how we're comparable to what's come before us (For market reasons) more than celebrating how we're different.

But I'll stop there or I'll rant again.:flag:

That said, britwriter, I think it's fair to make the point that some books in general aren't natural read-aloud stories, but read fine on the page, you know?:Shrug:

Lots of popular easy reader series or even chapter book series are like that, because they use more "said" tags and things like that, to help those learning to read, but would read odd to a more confident or fluent reader aloud, I know we're not talking about early reader books, it's just something to consider in general.

You're right. Read aloud grates with some books. Fablehaven was one that also didn't work for me as a read aloud, as you say, the said tags were an issue. Drove me nuts.

I'm reading aloud the James Herriot series to my kids at the moment, but they keep asking for Warriors too. It wouldn't be so daunting if there weren't so darn many of them in the series. I feel like I'll never reach the end. And when I do, they ask me to start over...........

Last night I heard myself reading nonsense words as my eyes had glazed over. I was adding 'paw' to every other word, to try to make it sound right. Those cat names are another thing that make it such a hard read-aloud. And just as I get the hang of them, they change their names. How the kids keep all this in their heads is beyond me.

All that said, I'm sure I'd have loved them as a kid too. :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Notes From The Dog, by Gary Paulsen, which was terrific. It's a short book, only about 130 pages, and the protag is a bit older than in the other stuff I've read of his. Here, a 14 year-old boy who is a bit of a loner, and likes to be alone, is thrust into putting himself out there when a young woman with breast cancer moves in next door. It may seem predictable and formulaic, but I still loved it.

I'm going to have to wait on those other books, because I'm spending too much money on books, so I picked up some things at the library. Next up is The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck by Emily Fairlie, which caught my eye because of the Adam Rex blurb on the cover (love him).

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the fourth Fablehaven book. I was very happy with the twist on Navarog. Those who read it will know what I meant. I honestly, did not see that coming AT ALL.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the fourth Fablehaven book. I was very happy with the twist on Navarog. Those who read it will know what I meant. I honestly, did not see that coming AT ALL.

Nor did I! But my kids both picked up on it instantly, way way early. Then they told me, and after that, it was so obvious. I thought it was great though. :)

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Nor did I! But my kids both picked up on it instantly, way way early. Then they told me, and after that, it was so obvious. I thought it was great though. :)

I didn't see it coming either. Hope the author does more with that world.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I finished an MG book that I found irksome. It was a cute mystery book with lots of humor, but it was written in close-3rd, with two protagonists, and the author head hops ridiculously throughout.

Last edited:

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought Savvy for my first ebook on my new ipad. Early Christmas present. I'm only on page 6, but I really like it so far. The writing is beautiful.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Savvy is really good. I listened to it on tape and loved it.

I'm reading Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill, and it's very good. The main character is an ugly princess. The first ten pages are filled with descriptions of her ugliness. Then I turn the page, and on page ten is a picture of the princess telling a story . . . and she's cute. Cute little nose, big eyes, normal-sized forehead (it was described as large). And then on the cover - a very cute auburn-haired girl. I'm wondering - Did the artist read the book? Another picture has the girl and her friend reading an enormous book that had just been described as tiny.

Artistic license? Or did the publisher think - well, you can describe her as ugly, but we can't show that, or nobody would buy the book? I think it's that, and what a pity.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Still working my way through the third Casper Candlewacks book. As expected, Ivan Brett's thrown a complete curveball, taking the story in an unexpected and hilarious direction. Highly recommended.

Dave