Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
It has the feel of the narrator in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie.

Is it common now and stilly widely acceptable? How is this different than head hopping? It seems like it wold be difficult to do well.

I'm still reading and the POV has switched to another kid. It was a scene break within a chapter. Still keeping me hooked.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I may try this a bit with one of mine, Innerworks. It is magical realism with a portal. I'm having trouble with my POV switch between the two characters because they are twins separated at different schools. The narrator might provide the right mechanism to change POV. Plus, the portal world is a bit steampunk-ish, not on purpose, someone else pointed that out to me.

It was bugging me and now I'm wondering if this method may work. I put it on the back burner a while ago, for now because I'm not sure my writer skills are up to it yet. And I would need to read a few more with this type to really see it in action. So if anyone knows more books, let me know.

I followed the author's blog tour. Mostly because I didn't know what that was. It was really cool. Hope you like it Ruth. I do so far.

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
A while back I remember someone mentioning some frustration with homeschool kids being stereotypes in a MG book - I think SCHOOLED by Gordon Korman. Well, I happened upon a book at the library called THE HOMESCHOOL LIBERATION LEAGUE. I'm only about halfway through but it's pretty good. It's about a girl who's popular and underachieving at school, and after a cool experience at summer camp decides she wants to try being homeschooled. Her parents aren't sure about it, but they let her try it, but they do a total school-at-home set-up, when she really wants to be unschooled. (Those who don't know, unschooling is not no learning, it's just a word for when the course of study is heavily child-led.) Anyway, it has a little bit of an agenda-y feel, but at the halfway point it's pretty good and does a good job of showing the range of education options. I would put it squarely in upper middle grade, though.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well. I finished The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls. I'm not sure what I think.

It was very difficult to get into, but once I did, I had to keep going. This is one creepy book that is sure to give nightmares.

And the ending? Didn't see it coming, and wish I hadn't read it. (shivers)

If your kids like to be scared, and can wade through the first fifty pages or so, then they might love this one.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Al Capone Does My Shirts: this was a fun book and a funny one, though not as purely comedic as you might think from the title. Rather, it's a funny take on a serious situation. A lot of the book deals with the family's attempts to care for their autistic daughter during a time when autism did not yet exist as a diagnosis. Twelve year old Moose is highly protective of his sister, isn't exactly thrilled about moving to Alcatraz island on the mere hope that his parents can get her into a special school.

I first started this book a few years back, I liked what I read, but I never finished it.

This was by no means the fault of the author. I personally just wasn't ready to finish it.;)

The sister reminded me too much of how I struggled with my Aspergers' (A high-functioning form of autism), even after I had the luxury of being diagnosed when I was 12, though my autism is nowhere near as fatal as hers, I can speak (Albeit like a chipmunk auctioneer:cry:) and I learned to read and write, I know how it feels to think you're alone in a pain even you don't fully understand.

It also hit too close to home in that it reminded me how my painful my non-realtionship with my mother really is.

My mother's problems go WAY beyond "Autistic" but I felt like the sister represented her as much as me. So, while I didn't finish the book at the time I first read it (20ish), I applaud the author for making me care, even if I had to break from reading the book. I will finish it someday, I'm a braver reader than I used to be.

In some sense, I felt protective of my mother as Moose does his sister, she may be schizophrenic (My mother, not the sister, from what I read) but she's NOT stupid.

She just acts like a three year old who can't grow up, and for those of you parents with ACTUAL three year olds, be thankful that they will eventually (And mistakes aside, actually WANT to) grow up. Just a friendly aside from someone whose mother didn't get that chance, and deserved it no less. :Hug2:

I'm part way through Al Capone Shines my Shoes, and am liking it so far. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the first book, which I loved. So far, though, I"m almost liking it more.

Britwriter, just thought you might want to there will be one last book in the Alcatraz series coming this fall!

I still need to finish the first one, but I was engaged by what I read, and even though I only read part of the first one when I was 20, what I've read of the book STILL stayed with me, and I want to finish it.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Three Times Lucky. It's a fantastic book, even if there is one cringe-inducing moment of nonsense and bad parenting [When Rose allows the kids to go with the Colonel to take on a serial killer and save Lana... what?! Um, no. The kids just should have snuck off or something. too unrealistic.]. Even though I hated that very brief scene, the rest of the book is charming and fun and beautifully written. Really, really liked it.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I like the Percy Jackson books, both the original MG series and the current YA series. I actually bought box sets of the original series for both my brother and my dad a few years ago for Christmas. They both really liked the books, too, and now we're all waiting for the next Heroes of Olympus novel.

My library is backwards. They put the original series in the YA section and the newer, longer series in with the MG. Yeah, made no sense to me, either.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Capture the Flag by Kate Messner (such a good author!). It's kind of a transition from her slice of life kidlit to slightly fantastic heist/caper adventure. Overall it was a wonderful book. The "mystery" of who stole the flag was extremely non-mysterious...I knew from the moment the character was introduced. But it was still enjoyable. Sequel is now out!

Then I started Thirteen Hangmen, which is great. It looks to have baseball, time travel, and murder mysteries. In the first bit, the MC found a MYSTERIOUS SKELETON KEY under the bed :D I suspect it will be important later.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
C.J. :Hug2:

Smish - I loved that book, too. But, yeah, I probably wouldn't [ send my kids out after a serial killer. ]

Kitty - Capture the Flag has been on my TBR list for a while, but it's been out at my library.

I just finished The Knife of Never Letting Go, which is the first book in a YA series. I could not put it down, it was riveting. Great world-building, a really scary villain, and a not-too-surprising secret that gets revealed at the end. But my favorite character was his dog, Manchee.

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a book called Dancing Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. It was first published in 1957, and I found it to be an interesting read. The style back then was very omniscient, and this book was full of "tell" and head hopping, but I think the story holds up. The characters are really well drawn, and I kept turning the page, to see what would happen. Now I'm on to In A Glass Grimly, by Adam Gidwitz, the companion to A Tale Dark and Grimm. My 10 year-old loves these books.

I'm also reading a book of writing exercises called The 3AM Epiphany, and finding it fun.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a book called Dancing Shoes by Noel Streatfeild.

Oh, I loooove the shoes books! I read them as a child, and I still love them. My daughter and I once read Ballet Shoes, then had a Ballet Shoes marathon, watching the 1976 movie and the 2007 movie back to back. Good times. :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Read Fourmile night before last. I couldn't put it down, so I read half the night. But it was worth it. Talk about dark! I thought it was a well-written book, but I could never have gotten through it as a kid.

Read and enjoyed Here Where the Sunbeams are Green. I liked all the imagery and thought it was well-written. Loved the relationship between the sisters and thought she was perfect with the voices. Liked the fantasy elements and the plot. But I kept thinking there was something that just didn't feel right to me. Finally figured it out. The mother was just totally unrealistic, and it made the book fall a little bit flat for me. I think she would have done better to just omit her entirely than to make her like she was.

Then I read Better Nate Than Ever and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! I don't know when I read a book I enjoyed quite like I did this one.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read Fourmile night before last. I couldn't put it down, so I read half the night. But it was worth it. Talk about dark! I thought it was a well-written book, but I could never have gotten through it as a kid.

Read and enjoyed Here Where the Sunbeams are Green. I liked all the imagery and thought it was well-written. Loved the relationship between the sisters and thought she was perfect with the voices. Liked the fantasy elements and the plot. But I kept thinking there was something that just didn't feel right to me. Finally figured it out. The mother was just totally unrealistic, and it made the book fall a little bit flat for me. I think she would have done better to just omit her entirely than to make her like she was.

Then I read Better Nate Than Ever and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! I don't know when I read a book I enjoyed quite like I did this one.

I saw the author of Better Nate Than Ever this weekend at the book festival. He said he pitched a sequel called Five, Six, Seven, Nate as a joke to the publishers and they wanted it. So...sequel!!!! He was super nice and adorable in general.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty - SO jealous!!!

But I'm glad, too. I think his writing would be quite appealing to kids that age - both boys and girls. I just hope he can find a way to keep his sidekick in it, because I think she's great, too.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Bitterblue over the weekend. It's YA, but I was in the mood for a YA novel. I've been reading MG and CBs pretty much exclusively for several months, so needed to throw something else in the mix. :) Now I'm reading A Dog Called Homeless (I checked it out from the library quite awhile ago. I should probably see if it's time to renew it!). It's very good so far.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
If we're talking YA, I read a brand new one called If He Had Been With Me. The author, Laura Nowlin, is a friend of my son's. I thought the story was amazing. Sad premise, but such great voice it sucks you right in. I thought I knew exactly what would happen, but she kept throwing in curves up to the very end.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Oh man, you guys. Walk Two Moons? Amazing. The kind of book that makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother trying to write, though.

Sheila, have you read further in the Chaos Walking series? They're so good, but they just get more brutal.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Sheila, have you read further in the Chaos Walking series? They're so good, but they just get more brutal.

I'm about 100 pages into book two, and really enjoying it. I can't tell you how great it is to start a sequel that is just as compelling as the first. I feel like I haven't read a good sequel in a while.

I was going to recommend it to my 13-year-old, who just finished the Hunger Games, but I'm getting a weird feeling about how those bad guys are going to treat the women . . . I don't think I'd mind him reading about the violence, but I'm not crazy about what my brain is imagining is going to happen to those women when an army of men (who haven't seen a woman in, what, 13 years?) roll into town. We'll see . . .

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Oh man, you guys. Walk Two Moons? Amazing. The kind of book that makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother trying to write, though.

You're playing my song all right.:Hug2: But even those phenomenal books had to be inspired by other authors and books equally inspiring to that author.

I try to think of that to curb unhealthy envy. Not always easy (or POSSIBLE...) but the alternative is to let envy steal your love of reading away. Not something anyone here would wish on anyone.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Well. I finished The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls. I'm not sure what I think.

It was very difficult to get into, but once I did, I had to keep going. This is one creepy book that is sure to give nightmares.

And the ending? Didn't see it coming, and wish I hadn't read it. (shivers)

If your kids like to be scared, and can wade through the first fifty pages or so, then they might love this one.

When I was still working, one of my employees brought that book in. I started reading it, but didn't get more than a few pages in before I left. Your description makes me think it might be right up my son's alley!

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Notes From A Totally Lame Vampire aka Diary of a Wimpy Vampire, which was exceedingly amusing. It is simultaneously a spoof of the Wimpy Kid, a spoof of Teh Twilight, and a proper novel in its own right. It's YA, but like Wimpy Kid it has big print and lots of pictures. It cracked me up. E I'd is turned into a vampire but doesn't get any powers or sex appeal, he's just stuck in a century of puberty and awkwardness.

Now reading 13 Hangmen, which is blowing my tiny mind. The history of US immigration and race relations, told from a bunch of time traveling 13 year old boys from different eras meeting in their attic in Boston. Bonus points for spirit animals, multicultural magics coexisting peacefully, and a Mysterious Older Woman (age 15)!

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Love, Aubrey. When I'm only a few chapters in and already loving it, that's usually a pretty good sign.