Status
Not open for further replies.

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My brother once pointed out that there is something wrong with me. And I thanked him and have been going with that idea ever since. I let my characters lead me and they usually end up doing something very very bad. Like tearing another person to shreads or kidnapping a girl to drain her of blood in a ritual to upload her soul into a marionette.

Yea, I am a little crazy like that, but it makes for interesting stroy lines. Or at least I hope it does. :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
For a mostly complete(?) description of writing classifications and defining the word genre, please see this list.

I write what I write because so few do and it's the sort of thing I hunger to read. For me, character driven fiction in scenes of modern reality hold infinite variables in why people do what they do. The choices that 'everyday' characters might make fascinate me as much as sentences I've never read before attract my attention. Combine the two, and I can't turn away. I become the voyeur of my own private auto accident: a mix of metal, flesh, and purposeful design crumpled across fate.

Thanks for that list, Kelly. It's a real gift.

The character driven stuff is my favorite, too. I'm often somewhere between fascinated and baffled by what I see around me every day.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
What happens when you write things that don't fit into a genre on the list?

An example is a novel about a young teen (YA) who gets involved with magic and mythical creatures (Fantasy) with advance beings watching over and perhaps nudging (SciFi)?

Which genre do you put it in?

Or a novel about someone planning a terrorist attack who becomes deeply involved with a transexual and some hints at steamy times?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score

An example is a novel about a young teen (YA) who gets involved with magic and mythical creatures (Fantasy) with advance beings watching over and perhaps nudging (SciFi)?

Or a novel about someone planning a terrorist attack who becomes deeply involved with a transexual and some hints at steamy times?

YA is YA, no matter the setting.

Your second example is probably contemporary,
and neither of those classifications are genre.

=)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I write I write because no matter what I try to write, weird shit turns up

I wrote a historical once (Vikings). Guess what? A curse turned up, written in blood-soaked runes. Not strictly fantasy -- whether it was actually real was left open -- but my POV certainly believed it

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I write I write because no matter what I try to write, weird shit turns up

I wrote a historical once (Vikings). Guess what? A curse turned up, written in blood-soaked runes. Not strictly fantasy -- whether it was actually real was left open -- but my POV certainly believed it

Great point, I'll bet that happens with a lot of writers. It just makes sense that your preferences, the way your wired, your worldview, what intrigues you will come out in some form and to some extent no matter what you think you're writing. So the moral then is to trust your instincts and to write what you really want to write?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
As to why I write YA, well, simplest explanation is that YA lit speaks to me in a way other genres or categories or whatever don't. Legally, I am an adult, but I still don't feel like one. When I hear the word "adult," I think of people like my parents, people who've worked jobs that didn't just pay minimum wage, people who have kids and actual responsibilities. The idea that I am an adult by any legal definition of the word, boggles my mind.

As to why I've settled on the particular story I've been hacking out for so long...well that's a long story. Basically, I heard about this kiwi television series called The Tribe and checked it out, because the premise sounded interesting. I was underwhelmed by The Tribe and if you were to ask me how I'd review it, I'd put it in a category I call "Coulda Been Contenders." I reserve this category for forms of entertainment that were almost great, but they fell short for some reason. In spite of this, I don't hate "Coulda Been Contenders"; I have great affection for them because they at least tried, which is more than you can say for a lot of entertainment these days.

Anyway, whenever I see a TV or movie make bad use of an interesting concept, I like to take said concept and see what I can do with it. Usually I don't get too far before I get interested in something else, but the concept behind The Tribe...for some reason, that idea stayed with me. The visual that kept coming to mind was a teenage boy looking out a window while holding a baby. I knew immediately that the baby was a girl, but it took a while for me to work out her relation to the boy, whether she was his sibling, his cousin, his child, or a stranger's kid he rescued.

I did try to write my story without the boy and the baby girl to no avail, but my mind kept coming back to it, so eventually I decided to give it a shot, telling myself I'd just make it fanfiction* for The Tribe in order to take the pressure to create off. Eventually though, I just decided, "Screw it," and wrote it as original fiction.

So that's my story.

*I got my start writing fanfiction so I've always had great affection for it. I understand though that not everyone feels the same, but didn't want to delve too far into because there are already other threads about the subject.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
This is a really great thread. It's fascinating to read about what everyone is reading and writing and why :).

As for reading, I fell in love with classic literature (especially from the 19th century and into the first half of the 20th century) while doing my BA in English and that's most of what I read. I'm the kind of weirdo who reads Charles Dickens and Henry James and the Brontes willingly and actually enjoy them.

I've had a lot of trouble finding the right genre for me in the last years because of a lot of personal visions of what I want/like to write vs. what I think I should be writing (I posted about this a while back on one of the more personal boards on this forum). I really got into psychological fiction through Anais Nin a while back and wrote a novel in that vein but couldn't really get into writing another one.

In addition, my tastes and views about fiction have changed over the years. Now that I'm in my mid-40's, I find that I enjoy fiction that isn't just about character and psychological study but also has a story that is compelling. I've been struggling to balance story and character in my own fiction.

In addition, I became a feminist during my undergrad years and my dedication to women's issues (from a more social and psychological perspective rather than a political one) has only grown.

I've come to realize that this is what really drives the fiction that I most enjoy writing. So I am currently writing in 2 genres. The first is contemporary women's fiction, though I would place it as feminist fiction more than women's fiction (mainly because women's fiction tends to bring up visions of romance and relationships and my characters aren't about that). The other is a totally new genre that I started writing in last year, historical mystery. I have always been obsessed with history, especially women in history. My academic studies dealt a lot with historical and gender context in fiction and I even did a semester in a master's degree program in History before I bailed (mainly because I was just sick of college and already had a master's degree). As for mysteries, that has always been my guilty pleasure. I am a huge fan of British mystery series, especially the ones set in a historical context (like Poirot and Marple). I think I had too many pompous ideas about what kind of writer I thought I should be (which came from my upbringing) which kept me from trying to write one. But I'm currently working on the first book of a series and I am really enjoying it. I've also added historical mysteries to my reading list, both stuff written in the past (like Agatha Christie stuff) and in more contemporary times though set in the past (like Anne Perry's William Monk series).

I'm still having a lot of fleeting doubts about what I'm writing, like I am doing something wrong because I'm not writing character-based psychological literary fiction. But every time I try to go back to work on a project, I just find I don't enjoy it, like I'm plowing through a field of thick mud with a spoon.

Djuna

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

If it's got a YA protagonist, and it addresses the kinds of themes (and is written in the YA voice and style), then it's going to be YA, regardless of the genre.

As for whether it's a YA contemporary/urban fantasy, or more of a science fantasy type story, I suppose it depends on the nature of the watching beings. Are they unexplained, or possibly supernatural? Or are they aliens in space ships, and is the "magic" really an application of their superior and incomprehensible technology?

I think a handy way to think about it would be, what kind of target reader are you shooting for? What other books do you think your idealized reader might also enjoy?

My only beef with Kelly's list is that it seems to be created by someone who thinks there aren't genre distinctions within children's age categories also. Yet B and N had a YA fantasy/SF section last time I went, and many of the agents I've researched say they're looking specifically for YA or MG (and increasingly, NA) fantasy, romance so on.

the NA fantasy makes me scratch my head, because my main characters are in their early/mid twenties. Does that make my fantasy novel NA? I'm just pitching it as fantasy that would appeal to readers of X and Y, but ergh! I don't know which fantasy titles count, specifically as NA fantasy, so I don't know for sure. So many fantasy novels have characters in their twenties anyway, that it seems odd to have a specific "NA" category for fantasy, unless maybe it takes place on a college campus, or deals with a young wizard trying to land her first job or or something?

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

As I have and am going to re-publish these two stories on Kindle, Nook, CreateSpace - which of their genres should I assign them.

This is what has hindered me in the past.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've always liked mysteries, but wasn't crazy about short fiction. One day I picked up an old copy of AHMM - it belonged to my aunt - and said to myself, I can do this. And then I did. I never in a zillion years would have seen myself as a writer of short fiction. Never!

I sent a story to AHMM, got rejected. Sent a second one and sold it. (Later I re-submitted the first story and sold it, too.) But I really don't know what made me think, "I can do this," as I wasn't really interested in short fiction, and seldom read it.

However, I read it now, and I also read novels - sometimes four-five at a time. I've currently got four I'm reading, and a fifth I'm listening to on CD. So...

I haven't a clue why I write what I write. As a kid my fav. genres were mystery and Sci-fi (novels.)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
My only beef with Kelly's list is that it seems to be created by someone who thinks there aren't genre distinctions within children's age categories also. Yet B and N had a YA fantasy/SF section last time I went, and many of the agents I've researched say they're looking specifically for YA or MG (and increasingly, NA) fantasy, romance so on.

That list has never been set in stone. We needed a place to start. At the time of it's creation there were no YA distinctions at B&N, but the market changes and so do the labels on the shelf! It's not 'my' list: it's our list. Many AW'ers helped to define it. I hope they continue to do. Thanks much for the suggestions! =)

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
I have two arcs that I write, with a third in the contemplation stage. All three complement each other.

Arc one is about the general world and some of its less specifically-crafted heroes. Dwarf Kings, Elf Princesses, Human Chieftains who are two metres tall and swing enormous swords, even Halflings/Iratos who disappear into thin air and slit people open whilst invisible. But what is really important in that arc is the details of the world they are part of. If the political leaders of today's real world were to visit it for a day, that day would end with their heads on spikes.

The other arc is more specifically at this point about Magi, and what makes a Mage a Mage. A lot of use of the phrase "MC-1 gene" occurs. As do references to mutation of the cerebral structure and how it manifests in the doing of things. I guess it reflects my life experience a lot that the primary phase of the story is about the uncovering and prosecution of a child abuser, and the ending is about a skirmish with members of a society that not only tolerates but encourages child abuse.

At present, both of the books that I originally self-published have been taken offline pending a re-edit and restructure. But right now I am very lost. I need help in finding my way from where I am at to where I want to go.

I have also been told that my use of language in my writing sometimes could do with editing for structural clarification. Heh.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh yes, and although the women in the first novel of my Mage-arc are high school seniors, anyone sniffing around me saying "YA" is going to get bitten. When I was their age, I was terrified to the point of having PTSD today of a family that wanted to keep me six years old forever. "YA" is Overgrown Baby to me, and not one thing can be said to change my mind. Excuse me whilst I go and add Repo Man's writer to my list of influences...

Last edited:

Kashmirgirl1976

Recouping My Lost Marbles
Registered
Reaction score
I write realistic, psychological fiction involving women as main protagonists because there are stories that are so compelling and crazy, any number of talking animals or strange planets could overtake them. Also, I like seeing women handle messy situations society tells us we can't persevere through or deal with many times.

Last edited:

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
I write fantasy because it's fantasy that sparked an interest in reading for me. Personally, every story has to have some kind of magic for me to enjoy it.

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
I try to read widely, but major themes of my reading list are classics, science fiction and fantasy.

Of my completed work so far, there have been pieces of historical fiction, coming of age drama and magical realism.

I tend not to think too much about genre as I'm writing, instead I think more about the style or tone. I find boxing things away into genre unhelpful sometimes, but I'd like to try writing in different genres. I believe you have to have a good understanding of a genre's conventions, but neither should writers feel constrained by 'familiar' genres.

SallyM

SallyM
Registered
Reaction score
I read mysteries and action novels and fantasy, but I only write fantasy. Not because reality is boring, at least I don't find it boring, but I do find reality too terrible sometimes. Fantasy is escape into a world I can manage. Also it's lots of fun!

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
I started writing SF because I like SF. It really was that simple. Why do I keep doing? For the small group of people who enjoy my work and want to read more of it.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy because it's fantasy that sparked an interest in reading for me. Personally, every story has to have some kind of magic for me to enjoy it.

I took a look at your book. I really like your style.

Shunter

Registered
Reaction score
I write because I picked up Sarah Monette's "Melusine" when I was sixteen and had my mind blown. I thought books like that didn't exist outside of fanfiction: crazy psychological suspenseful dramas that tend toward gay romance. They're everywhere in fanon (and well loved when done right, may I add), but I'd never seen the like in print. Reading those books made me realize that I could write stuff like that and people outside the internet might have a chance to read it.

Of course, getting published is another thing, because that series did *not* sell well, and it was fantasy, which mine is not, but there you have it. It can be done and I'm darn well doing it.

The children's novels one the other hand are, frankly, a byproduct. My best explanation is that my mother was dying to read something I wrote and I wasn't going to show her my adult novel so I wrote something a little less, uh, well. A little less adult. She likes them very much, too, so mission accomplished I guess.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
I write space opera so I can spend time in outer space, get to hang out with larger-than-life heroes and pilot funky starships. I don'’t care for readership or publication, I just want to experience my story and have a good time :)

Lilly

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I've tried to write all sorts of different things over the years but everything ended up basically turning in a Guy Ritchie movie with demons in it. I gave up trying anything else in the end and just wrote that. Sold it.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I've been called odd my entire life. I spent my childhood watching Monsters, Tales From The Darkside and Friday 13th movies with joy.

I idolized Nichelle Nichols on episodes of Star Trek. I read Anne Rice, Clive Barker, LA Banks, Stephen King and Octavia Butler in high school like a fiend. My stepdad got me Sword&Soul and I held onto it until it was in tatters.

I write horror because I love it. It's my favorite genre of them all. I also want to see characters that look like me in fiction. Writing gives me the power to do that. I grew up in a tough environment so I like female characters that take control and get things done as my mother did. Tales From The Hood is one of my top movies of all time. A story of a ghetto infused with ghostly mayhem delights and monsters, both human and supernatural, delights me to my soul. So I wrote one.

I read Angela Carter's stories and maybe that's why I have quite the taste for the weird with a dose of magical realism. I write all my genres because I enjoy something in each one and all of those things are a part of my personality.

Last edited:

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I wrote was because of a competition where I had to do everything better than an uncle of mine. After that it transitioned from sci-fi to fantasy as a bit of escapism after a knee surgery took out my chances from an athletic scholarship.

Amusingly enough, I thought I was just writing whatever sounded good to me at first, but my wife caught an early copy of my WIP that I first drafted back during that time I was restricted to a bed and desk and pointed out every fantasy trait was me compensating in some way to my current situation. It made me really think about how our own experiences shape how we write.
I couldn't run so I gave wings to fly, I had a SI period and put fins on the arms that had to be hidden, and claws/thick hides to take beatings. Weird how it worked out that way, but it's what I'm putting my energy into now to make it decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.