Newest Anne of Green Gables Cover

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that in the Toronto Star today :(

Edit: here's the link. The book's in the public domain and was self-published using CreateSpace.
I think that explains how this sort of thing could happen.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ROFL! My guess is that the books are in the public domain in the US, so some yahoo slapped them together and put a tacky cover on it. It's published by Createspace (self-pub company owned by Amazon). I don't think an actual publisher thought this was a good idea. Amazon has many hideously-covered self-pubbed classics for sale.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
WTF lol. My childhood is ruined.

Next they'll do it to simple and plain Jane Eyre.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
It makes me nauseous. I would pitch a fit about how she looks nothing like Anne, but we all already know that. There is nothing right about that cover.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
ROFL! My guess is that the books are in the public domain in the US, so some yahoo slapped them together and put a tacky cover on it.

You are correct on both details. Expect soon to get a version of Moby Dick featuring a cover with a young shirtless Fabio holding a harpoon and with his right leg photoshopped into a phallic wooden peg.

caw

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lost story . . .

Anne, the Farmer's Daughter

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Woah, woah, woah.... So anybody could just grab any book with an expired copyright, slap a new cover on it, and make money? I'd be rolling in my grave.

Wait! I have butloads of debt. Maybe I can grab some Sheakespeare, slap a sexy David Tennant on the cover of Hamlet, and become a millionaire!!! *schemes*

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woah, woah, woah.... So anybody could just grab any book with an expired copyright, slap a new cover on it, and make money? I'd be rolling in my grave.

Wait! I have butloads of debt. Maybe I can grab some Sheakespeare, slap a sexy David Tennant on the cover of Hamlet, and become a millionaire!!! *schemes*

Just make sure you own the rights to use the image that way :D

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
It's Ann without the E updated to modern times if she was seducing all the farmboys. The dark doppleganger fraternal twin of Anne with an E. For wouldn't Anne say that to Diana, her bosom friend?

Alternatively, it's really Ilse from Emily of New Moon if she time traveled and jumped dimensions. She had wild blonde hair that was often unkempt and in a platinum blonde. Though, honestly, the plaid and the wilely look kinda ruins that idea too, even for all the temper Ilse had. Perry would have had a field day with an Ilse that looked like that.

OK, I pulled out my geek. But I find it eternally funny since it's harped on so regularly.

Last edited:

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's horrible. Have they even read the book?

At least the Amazon reviewers share our disgust. :tongue

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would almost be a fun game: find an inappropriate photo and come up with a new title.

A bikini clad babe . . . Anne of Bay Watch. A spoiled teen sitting on a BMW . . . Anne of 90210.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think everyone is overreacting. ESPECIALLY the reviewers on Amazon. There's nothing wrong with the girl on the cover. Yes she's a bit older. No, she's not a redhead. But to dismiss it and say that it's offensive and that she's a "centerfold" is completely ridiculous.

The girl is completely covered. It merely shows her face. Additionally, it's a compilation of several books in a series and Anne is an adult by Anne of the Island. Just look at the description. A SET.

It's a modern cover of a pretty girl. That's it. They are not sexualizing it. They are merely trying to make it appeal to young readers of this generation. Remember, the book is almost a hundred years old. So yeah. Calm down.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think most people are just amused at the pure silliness of it. Everyone probably has their own vision of Anne, whether from reading the books, or seeing a cover illustration, or watching one of the movies . . . but I don't think anyone has ever envisioned Anne as a sort of blonde cheerleader farm girl. It's a little like doing a cover of Anne Frank as a blonde party girl.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I think most people are just amused at the pure silliness of it. Everyone probably has their own vision of Anne, whether from reading the books, or seeing another cover illustration, or watching one of the movies . . . but I don't think anyone has ever envisioned Anne as a sort of blonde cheerleader farm girl. It's a little like doing a cover of Anne Frank as a blonde party girl.

Yeah. That's true. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion (especially if that opinion is regarding something dear to them), I think the reviewers at Amazon overreacted big time. I went through some of the reviews and one of the reviews said "It's supposed to be called Anne of the Green Gables, not Anne does Green Gables."

Come on! I bet most of the reviewers' daughters looked like that young girl. Are you really going to call her a skank? That's uncalled for especially since there's nothing sexual about it. She's just a pretty girl.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw all the one-star reviews on Amazon, but I didn't read them.

As for the photo itself, no, I don't think it's that sexual. Heck, it could almost be a photo of my pretend granddaughter.

People on Amazon are probably taking out their "head banging moment" on whatever comes to mind.

Whoever approved the cover either has to be a complete lamebrain . . . or a genius who planned it knowing it would generate more buzz than a reprint would ever get otherwise.

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
I too wonder if this was done to intentionally rile people, to gain publicity, rather than to attract modern teens/kids to a classic book.

I wonder if it is working - is it selling?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This opens wonderful possibilities:

A totally hunky Quasimodo for the cover of Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Hester Prynne in a bikini for the cover of The Scarlet Letter.

Readers will flock to buy these books.

caw

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the house/museum on P.E.I. about 15 years ago and remember it being quite popular with the Japanese tourists!

That's because of "Akage no Anne", the very popular anime version. I don't think it ever aired in English but I watched it in German and Portuguese.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You are correct on both details. Expect soon to get a version of Moby Dick featuring a cover with a young shirtless Fabio holding a harpoon and with his right leg photoshopped into a phallic wooden peg.

caw

I literally could not stop laughing at this. I feel like I'm going to pass out. :p