Last Movie You Watched...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Dug up an old favorite. House of Strangers with Edward G. as a tyrannical banker with unorthodox practices and Richard Conte as his dutiful, attorney son who takes the rap for the old man and does his time-- only to get out and question his own indoctrination. A kind of a film noir setting, this thing, set in New York's Little Italy when it was all that it was, is stinkin' with ambience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Strangers

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7gDQZE_CYQ

If you like this kind of thing, it's cringing-ly good. (Not quite as corny as the trailer would have you believe. Deals with real issues like loyalty, deceit, vengeance, and way ahead of its time, *child* abuse,

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Romeo and Juliet--the Franco Zeffirelli version. I'm still not as wild about it as I'm told I should be, but it's probably the most faithful cinematic version out there.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Disney's Fantasia.

Mess. Just...mess.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A Stranger Among Us. Cop Melanie Griffith goes undercover in a Hasidic community to find a murderer. Eh...I just don't like her in anything she's ever done. The movie held together, though.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A Child's Eye. Directed by the brother team that made The Eye and other Asian horror.

Don't. Unlikeable characters, unfunny humor, standard "twist" that is so standard you can't call it a twist at all anymore. The only redeeming feature was the otherworld trap which was very cool, and on which they obviously spent 90% of their budget.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Unforgiven. Loved it. What an interesting main character.

i ain't like that no more, Ned. I ain't no crazy killin fool

So well written- pretty sure it was a novel- need to track it down. so many great characters, all with nuance, from the wannabe kid natural born killer who can't see past 50 yds, to the sadistic sheriff with an eye on his legacy- i love this movie

Wordsman

Registered
Reaction score
The last worth movie I watched so far was Dardenne brothers' "The Kid with a Bike".

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
So a friend of mine loaned me Wedding Crashers to watch.
Fun little flick.

Thought it was great... until Will Farrell showed up. Could have lost all the parts he had.

Not sure if it qualifies for collection status, but it definite can be rewatched.

Oh, before that I watched Pitch Perfect. That one I love. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Beast From 20000 Fathoms and Twenty Million Miles to Earth, both Ray Harryhausen beastie flicks. Neither of them had a whole lot of logic, but to watch the stop-motion animation was a treat. Even though it's sort of stiff-looking, for some reason it makes the monsters more menacing in a way I can't define.

Calla, as for Melanie Griffith playing a member of the Hasidic community, I had to laugh. She'd be spotted a mile away. I gave her an A for effort, but really, she was the wrong choice to star in that kind of flick.

Last edited:

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
The Innkeepers: Ti West tries to recreate the magic of his The House of the Devil, and fails miserably at it.

Before that, The Possession: Generic exorcism with a Jewish angle and surprisingly strong acting (still not worth the price of admission).

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Crow. Because V-day is rapidly approaching and it is the most romantic movie I own.

Generic exorcism with a Jewish angle and surprisingly strong acting
There seem to be quite a few of those around now--generic but with strong acting. Dark Skies comes to mind, as does The Conjuring.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re-Animator.

It wasn't what I expected. Sure, it was a bit cheesy, but it was also pretty disturbing in places. Triggery spoiler:

The part where the decapitated reanimated head sexually assaulted the MC's girlfriend squicked me out pretty deeply. It was really, really gross and I didn't expect that at all.

That part ruined the whole thing for me. :(

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yup. I wish I'd known that scene was in the movie. I wouldn't have watched.

I credit that movie for my everlasting hate for all modern HPL adaptations. Also, Jeffrey Coombs. :e2flame: Srsly, what IS it with trying to inject that kinds of stuff into HPL? He never, ever had it in the books.

Although to be fair , HPL stories have never adapted well to film, Die, Monster, Die! and The Haunted Palace notwithstanding.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
The Weight of Water

I figured out who the killer was pretty much right off. Some of the present day parts of the story didn't hold my interest, but then it would flash back, and I had to finish the movie.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Rumble on the Docks had never even heard of it. Watches like a real low budget thing, but at times, is surprisingly good. Starring James Darren of Gidget fame, with a very young Robert Blake in a small role. I have to say that James Darren, who's a pretty good swing singer too, never had a real bad moment in this thing that had plentiful opportunities to do so. A find in a curiosity, learning kind of way that I will try to catch again since I missed the first 20 minutes or so.

Ah, here's the first 10 minutes right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kMJ340YQPg

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I wish I'd known that scene was in the movie. I wouldn't have watched.

I credit that movie for my everlasting hate for all modern HPL adaptations. Also, Jeffrey Coombs. :e2flame: Srsly, what IS it with trying to inject that kinds of stuff into HPL? He never, ever had it in the books.

Although to be fair , HPL stories have never adapted well to film, Die, Monster, Die! and The Haunted Palace notwithstanding.

I wouldn't have watched it if I'd known, either. That said, I didn't think In The Mouth of Madness was *that* bad. Just, yanno, cheesy. :D Of course, it helps that it's not a direct adaptation of anything HPL wrote. More of an homage. A cheesy, cheesy homage. YUM.

I may have to watch that tonight after work, actually.