Do you work with a (paid) editor from the get-go?

AllieGirl

Sin is geographical
Registered
Reaction score
I recently employed the services of a historical book editor whom I found on EFA. The reason was that I was 20k words in and realized that my first chapter may not mesh with the rest. It was good background to the main character who would have a fall from grace, so readers could see just how fish-out-of-water the new setting was. Problem was, there's no real action. So I needed an opinion as to whether I should trash it and weave the history into the rest of the story. The next few chapters would be very, very different if I deleted the first chapter and I'd rather deal with it up front.

For under $100, I got good feedback and some direction. I also got pointers on another issue I didn't even see. And I was assured that the dialogue was spot-on for the time period, something that worried me. Since this is my first foray into a historical romance, where the romance is not front-and-center (I've previously written three straight up romances), I'm thinking that I will send it again when I'm 40k deep, or when I've rewritten the beginning.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and what your opinion is of this. If it's not your first, you probably don't need it. But I'm thinking that getting editing advice ahead of sending it off to an agent would make it a better piece with better chances.

As a side note, this editor has a published historical novel and teaches writing at a college. I'm not completely green at this. I've written paid freelance for many years. But historical novels, I'm finding, are very different than other types of writing.

Thanks for any opinions.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't use a professional editor unless I was going to self-publish. I have a pretty good eye, myself, and betas; there are also crit groups online (like SYW). Once a book's accepted, the publisher is also going to go over the book with their editors. So it seems like a bit of overkill to hire someone, unless, as I say, you're going to self-publish.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've not used one. For the very few historical pieces I've written, I've contacted historical societies and asked experts directly.

Since I have in the past worked as a technical editor on novels (it might come across as bias), I won't tell you if hiring an editor before being agented or contracted is a good idea or not. I would not myself, but then again I've worked as an editor and can do 99% of it myself. Evaluate it the same as you would any purchase of that magnitude. Only you can say if you think it's a good investment.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you paid for the same kind of feedback an experienced critique partner might provide. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you find a good writing/crit partner down the road, you may find it's just as beneficial if not more so. :)