Is This Title Confusing?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently beginning to tentatively research my next book, and I've fell in love with the title War-Wolf. It is set in the Second Jewish Revolt [132-5 CE], and my Roman MC's Agnomen is Lupus.

My problem is, would a reader browsing a bookshop confuse it for Edward I's trebuchet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwolf

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Not me, as I wasn't aware of Ed I's trebuchet. It's not like I'm not a trebuchet fan, I've even got a working scale model I built on top of my bookshelf. But clearly there are bigger treb-heads out there.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"War-Wolf" does not make me think of either Edward I or the Jewish Revolt (or Romans generally), even now that you tell me it should.

If it suggests anything to me, it's something Viking or generic barbarian.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
"War-Wolf" does not make me think of either Edward I or the Jewish Revolt (or Romans generally), even now that you tell me it should.

If it suggests anything to me, it's something Viking or generic barbarian.

You know, The Wolf of Rome [Rome's protector], Romulus and Remus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitoline_Wolf

Plus a little creative word play on my part. :)

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid it makes me think paranormal (werewolf) more than anything. Neither Romans nor trebuchets spring to mind.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
A substantial part of my honour's thesis was set during the wars between the Welsh, Scots, and Edward I... and I've never heard of it (it was social history, not military, so don't worry, I did research!), so, yeah, I don't think your average browser is going to think of it... :)

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I love the name, and although I knew about King Edward's trebuchet, it didn't lead me to it.

But the name sounds so good, use it! :D

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You know, The Wolf of Rome [Rome's protector], Romulus and Remus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitoline_Wolf

Plus a little creative word play on my part. :)

Trouble is, when I think of the Capitoline Wolf, I think of a protective nursing mother, not war. I get that Northern vibe as well, and definitely not the trebuchet. Once I knew that the MC's name was Lupus, it would seem a better choice for a title.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Gothicangel, it may not be what you want to hear, but I go to the same place some others have mentioned with this title, it definitely doesn't feel Roman in a mainstream-impressions way, nor evoke anything about the Jews of the period. I like the idea of a play on words, but War Wolf sounds like a ship to me, or benbenberi's more northerly evocation.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Gothicangel, it may not be what you want to hear, but I go to the same place some others have mentioned with this title, it definitely doesn't feel Roman in a mainstream-impressions way, nor evoke anything about the Jews of the period.

That is exactly what I'm going for, shift readers out of their preconceptions. Interestingly, a Rosemary Sutcliff title is Frontier Wolf, refering to a Roman Soldier MC.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm going for, shift readers out of their preconceptions. Interestingly, a Rosemary Sutcliff title is Frontier Wolf, refering to a Roman Soldier MC.

Well, that sounds nice, but it assumes people are going to pick up the book in the first place. They might not pick up a book called War Wolf if they want something about the Romans.

You can't go by what Rosemary Sutcliff did because people picked up her books because they were by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about the title until you have a publisher. The marketing department has a lot to say on that particular topic.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sounds nice, but it assumes people are going to pick up the book in the first place. They might not pick up a book called War Wolf if they want something about the Romans.

You can't go by what Rosemary Sutcliff did because people picked up her books because they were by Rosemary Sutcliff.

It's not actually the first book that carries the idea. I have actually tried the idea out on Roman academics and the love it, the Capitoline Wolf was called 'The Protector of Rome.'

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Subverting expectations may be interesting, but if from a marketing standpoint a publisher feels what you're accomplishing instead is pitching to the wrong audience, or turning away the right one, they will change the title for you. It's not that such a thing can't work, but be prepared for the possibility that the gamble won't be yours to take. Whatever we say here, the fact is this is an industry, and the publishing industry still has to work with sales.

The opinions here may not mean anything, practically speaking; you just never know until it's really time for parties to sign on a dotted line. Titles are often casualties over time, so go with what you believe in regardless of our polling here - and then trust what the professionals you commit to work with have to say.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score

Frontier Wolf has a more Roman/edge of Roman Empire sound and feel to it, because of the "wolves" that fought on the fringes of the empire, both Roman and foe (Germanic tribes mainly)

caffeine

Registered
Reaction score
The title is fine and while it's not my area of historical expertise, I haven't heard of Warwolf the trebuchet. The only trebuchet name I know about is 'Bad Neighbor', and that was because of Age of Empires II.

feath

Is the goldfish koi?
Registered
Reaction score
Besides the good advice that the title maybe changed, take into account the cover picture. A bunch of Roman dudes fighting could have the title "fairy princess" and still get across the fact its about Romans.

romperstomper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid it makes me think paranormal (werewolf) more than anything. Neither Romans nor trebuchets spring to mind.

+1. I think of either a warring werewolf or werewolves warring against each other.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
My understanding is that titles are changed pretty routinely. I like the title for my own work, and suspect it'll survive just because it fits, it expresses something, and has punch - but if it were changed or I didn't have dictatorial creative control over that, the cover, and everything else I would simply have to trust the people I commit to work with, and their expertise. I tend to be somewhat pragmatic about my writing; as much as it *excites* me, I don't feel protective of it in the sense that either I think I alone know best nor that The Market is some sort of dirty influence I must endure for the sake of my creation. I eagerly seek commercial viability, even as I cherish zero expectations (nor desires) of being the next Potter franchise. There's a point to which you have to let your work live out from under your wing, as a writer. Often, the first thing to go is your title.