• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
The SFWA website has no lower limit for Nebulas or membership requirements. You don't need to guess, you just need to read what's posted. It's pretty clear, IMO.

Door-stopper is an old term, far older than Sandra. (Who is a great writer, but no, she didn't coin that phrase.)

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, door-stopper is an often used term.

Eqb: I'm not applying to awards, I was just stating that the Nebulas have different standards than others.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Eqb: I'm not applying to awards, I was just stating that the Nebulas have different standards than others.

The Nebulas use the same length definitions for their categories as the Hugos and the Locus Awards.

That said, the only important length requirements for this thread are what the Musa guidelines state, which are also very clear.

Prophetsnake

Registered
Reaction score
You've stated quite clearly throughout this thread a whole laundry list of things you will NOT do:

Quote:
I don't edit for royalties
Quote:
I would not submit to a publisher who paid their editors in royalties,
Quote:
I don't want editors or cover artists sharing my byline, nor do I want an editor sharing my royalties for the life of my book.

Well, for myself, a first time author shopping for a good publisher, this, as well as many other things said here, sold me on submitting to Musa. I've been accepted elsewhere and I got the feeling from the publisher that it was all down to myself to sell the book. I have no idea how those people make money, I really don't. If they are reliant solely on my marketing skills my book will be one rare item in the future.
I gather that there are a few publishers like that out there.
MsCelina seems very, erm pro-active (how did that ever become a word?)
I want my book to sell. I want everyone in the world to know what I think and how clever I am! I want my publisher, editor etc. to want that too.
Good old averice is a marvelous fuel to drive that engine.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
erm pro-active (how did that ever become a word?

Off-topic, but it used to be a filler/non-sense word. But, it's been popular in business for a while now so, it actually means something now!

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to post an update because I got my final cover art today (yay!) I love how it turned out! (See sig below to see it.) Also, have been working with my editor for awhile now and she has been very helpful and easy to work with. Overall my experience with them has been great. Of course, the book hasn't released yet and only time will tell how well it does but the journey of getting published with them has been a good one!

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to post an update because I got my final cover art today (yay!) I love how it turned out! (See sig below to see it.) Also, have been working with my editor for awhile now and she has been very helpful and easy to work with. Overall my experience with them has been great. Of course, the book hasn't released yet and only time will tell how well it does but the journey of getting published with them has been a good one!

I signed with Musa around the 9th of February and can't wait to get into cover art and editing :)

ETA: Nice cover art! I just went to your blog to see the larger image.

Last edited:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! And thanks, that reminded me that I have a question for Celina, and did not want to PM her without permission.

I submitted (embarrassed to say) the wrong copy of a short story that was under the min. word count. Is it okay to resubmit the copt of the story with the right word count?

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Congrat Frolzagain! I just went over to your blog and joined. Love the cover! I'm eyeing Musa for a novella.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Congrats! And thanks, that reminded me that I have a question for Celina, and did not want to PM her without permission.

I submitted (embarrassed to say) the wrong copy of a short story that was under the min. word count. Is it okay to resubmit the copt of the story with the right word count?

Is this for Musa or Penumbra? Either way, send the correct file and mention in your query email that you've spoken with me and to remove the incorrect file from consideration and use this one instead.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Is this for Musa or Penumbra? Either way, send the correct file and mention in your query email that you've spoken with me and to remove the incorrect file from consideration and use this one instead.

Musa. Thanks, Celina! You rock. :hooray:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Celina, just resent the query for the right story! Thanks again!

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ladylex! I just popped over to follow your blog as well! :)

Lorna Peel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lornapeel.com
Does anyone know how long it takes for a response to a request for a full manuscript? I sent mine on 19 February 2012 and I'm wondering if it's too early to follow it up?

Don't want to ruin my chances by being too impatient! :)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
What's the word count for a short story with Musa Publishing?

And does Musa have a lot of IR/MC Romance/Erotica titles?

I'm also wondering about this myself :)

We are currently building those imprints. Calliope is our romance imprint; Erato is GLBT. I'm in the process of promoting an editor to run the Calliope imprint and we already have a fantastic head editor at Erato. As a matter of fact, our Orpheus GLBT writing contest just closed to entries and is in judging right now. Since our launch in October, we have 13 m/f erotic titles,19 straight romance titles, and 16 GLBT titles with multiple titles for each imprint on our forthcoming release schedule. We are also building a YA GLBT line, which is one of our primary focuses as we head into the summer. You can browse through our currently released titles at our website and take a look at the authors who have published with us in our romance imprints.

But the answer is--YES. We have thriving romance imprints, and those imprints are actively evaluating submissions.