XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Friends!

I just realized I have 800 rep points, makes me feel kinda special.

And Mr. K's payroll check didn't come in like it should have yesterday because the payroll people were broken or something like that. Makes it hard to buy groceries when there's no money in the bank account. :mad:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oh hey, the helicopters did wind down not too long after my last post, with maybe one more near pass and a drone in the distance like lawnmowers or motorboats for awhile. I pretended it was old RAF airplanes and peace was accomplished.

This morning it's all quiet. Of course, it's early.

But it's nice when birds are the main noise ("Robin-Starling Wars: The Cheepening").

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
It's alive!!!

Himself has fixed my MP3 player.

The man is a genius with a soldering iron. Now for the exciting part of putting it back together. Any bets as to how many pieces are left over when he's finished?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The helicopters are back, as of about ten minutes ago. One is hovering right over our house and I can see two more to the east near the lake. Foliage covers the rest of the sky, but man, they're loud.

(Chances are good the President is heading from his house to Lake Shore Drive for the NATO conference, I'd bet.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There was a funny audio illusion. One of our neighbors is having a tree removed, apparently. Between the helicopter noise overhead and the noise of the woodchipper and the shaking of the foliage, for a moment I thought I saw a helicopter landing in the middle of our block. Which would be weird, since we're a modest middle-class block with more trees than open space in our yards.

I'm glad they're so diligent about security.

Hmm, sounds like they're moving now.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Obviously, you're there and I'm not, but is it possible they are at different heights. Helicopters can get pretty close to each other without too much bother as most of the airwash is down. I suspect you may just have noticed that.

Kricket, you have my sympathy. I get my money a similar way and it concerns me sometimes. If I were nearer I'd offer to send over some bread.

Ooo, :Coffee:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Ohhhh ... Apparently there was an empty suitcase left on a Metra train and they closed things off about three blocks away from us until they could have a bomb squad check it. As of half an hour ago it was given the all-clear.

Which would probably partly explain all the helicopters hanging around.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hey everyone - I got a late start today. Woke up with a headache. I think coffee and advil and some water will take care of it... and I have to walk to my car to get my toilet paper.... yes, I left it in the trunk. That was rather stupid.

I really want to get a lot more than 5k edited today!! So much work to do on this next pass... holey shimolie.

Kricket - I feel you, girl. Our boss messes up our payroll and we just have to wait for her convenience to fix it.

Allessandra - at least they weren't silent black helicopters, then you know the sh!zn#+ is going down!

Eye: :)

Fen! Riding pants!!

ali: I really hope that mp3 is fixed - I know if my ipod should go the way of the dodo bird, I'm jumping off a buildilng....

oh, and 10! the rejections come with the territory... you'll get an acceptance one day... just keep pr0n-ing! Just keep pr0n-ing!

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Keep prawning? But I don't have any salt water nearby to raise them in...

(Is this general writing advice, or did I miss something? Probably the latter.)

Last edited:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, spoke too soon. Now there are two directly over our house, sitting there, alarmingly close to each other. Is that even safe?

Helicopters can and do hover close to each other on occasion, but normally it's not recommended because it's stupid tactics. A stationary target is easier to hit than a moving one and two in close proximity is double the pleasure. Good tactics can trump a lot of weapons in most helicopter scenarios. As the saying goes, defeat the shooter, not the weapon.

That said, hovering comes in two flavors: HIGE (Hover In Ground Effect = approx 5-15 feet off the ground) and HOGE (Hover Out of Ground Effect = altitudes over 15 feet). HIGE is a significantly "safer" hovering parameter because the downwash of the rotor blades creates a bubble of lift that the helicopters sits within. There is so much lift that even if the aircraft suffers complete engine failure, the pilot can adjust the blade pitch angle and set the helicopter down gently before the interia of the blades slows to a terminal speed.

HOGE, on the other hand, is riskier because there is no lift from the downwash and therefore the blades are working harder to keep the helicopter aloft. Adding into this cocktail of Not Smart is the fact that the helo is more sceptable to environmental factors like wind, Density Altitude (how "thick" the air is), etc. Rounding out the safety stuff, if the helo suffers complete engine failure, it would need a LOT of altitude to build enough inertia on the rotor blades to even attempt an emergency landing. 1000 feet of altitude isn't even close to being enough. Because of all of this, most pilots choose to avoid HOGE even though the aircraft is capable of doing it.

Aaaaaand that went on way too long. Sorry for the Hovering 101 monologue.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back! Give me something for sunburn! And a drink, something with pineapple juice and lots of rum and tequila. I need the boost (and the painkilling)

We went to pick strawberries today, and it was vastly disappointing! Even with nine of us picking (six kids, three adults), we only got 25 pounds. Not actually our fault, mind you. We had plenty of help, and it wasn't too hot. But the strawberries were small and sparse. My sister Lillie says we started too early in the season, and if we give it another two weeks, they should be in better shape.

Of course, if we go again in two weeks, that's going to run into our blackberry picking time. And if we put that off a week, it'll interfere with our peach picking..... And what about paw paws and haws and....

Damn.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
My friend who lives close to the Obama's house says there weren't any checkpoints today, so the helicopters were probably all for the bomb scare.

Isn't it technically a suitcase scare if there was no bomb nor a threat?

*yawn*

Good morning, all.

Wait - is it still morning?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it belonged to the invisible man?

Hi to RT, I hope you're feeling a bit chirpier today, and I want to move to where Junely lives, but only during fruit picking season.

Come to the Hillbilly Side, Ali! We could use an extra set of hands.

Sparse and small the strawberries may have been, but oh, my God, they are so sweet it's like they've been sugared already!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it belonged to the invisible man?

Hi to RT, I hope you're feeling a bit chirpier today, and I want to move to where Junely lives, but only during fruit picking season.

I most certainly am! Drastically chirpier.

ETA: Wait, was that a play on my name? xD

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Isn't it technically a suitcase scare if there was no bomb nor a threat?

*yawn*

Good morning, all.

Wait - is it still morning?
So you would need a suitcase disposal squad. Don't they work in airports?

It's still morning somewhere in the world.

Come to the Hillbilly Side, Ali! We could use an extra set of hands.

Sparse and small the strawberries may have been, but oh, my God, they are so sweet it's like they've been sugared already!
No passport. Boo.

Haz a jealous.

I most certainly am! Drastically chirpier.

ETA: Wait, was that a play on my name? xD

Do you know, I had to read it all about six times before I realised what I'd said. Sorry.

How about, I hope you're not feeling so lonesome today?

I have just read an old interview with Kurt Vonnegut. I never realised he was that funny. He's also made me realise that it's ok not to know anything about literature, which is just as well as I seem to be heading for the sci-fi short story.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I am contemplating the following open letter to my students:

Dear Students:

Class is not a democracy. While I am open to suggestions, at no time should this be construed as giving you permission to argue with me. If I say we're going to do something, we're going to do it. End of story.

Class is a dictatorship. It may be a benevolent dictatorship, but I am still in charge.

Sincerely,
Your Supreme Overlord, aka Professor [X]

:Lecture:
Doooooo eeeeeeettt ;)

And, a little belatedly...lovely wedding pics, Miss Psycho.

I got rejected :(
:Hug2:

Afternoon folks. MrMacologist is watching the football final so I have time for myself. Whut up in dis place?

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
We went to pick strawberries today, and it was vastly disappointing! Even with nine of us picking (six kids, three adults), we only got 25 pounds.

I have only picked strawberries once. Third or fourth grade field trip. As such, 25 pounds sounded like a damn lot of strawberries.

So... educational moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.