zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I read everything I've written out loud at least once or twice. If it's a short I do it all in one go, for novels pretty much a chapter at a time. I print out the MS and read from that, not the screen, so I can walk around as I'm doing it (cats seem to think I've gone bonkers) and make quick notes on the paper about flow. If I stumble badly enough, I fix it and go back and start again. I find it really helpful to get the rhythm of my words the way I want them, and I spot different errors than when I'm reading off a screen.

I still feel silly doing it, but it's an essential part of my own process.

-Suzanne

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I not only read out loud, but often physically act out described actions. Every now and then I find that something I've described is physically ridiculous or impossible.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I act out certain movements or scenes too, if I'm trying to get the feel of them to pick that one detail for description. I feel like an absolute loon doing it -- like I'm five years old again -- but meh, what's the worst that could happen? It'll show up on youtube, caught on camera by a pervy neighbor, and I'll have to crawl under a rock and die. :D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only do it when I'm truly flustered with a passage and I'm trying to figure out what's making me so testy. Even then, it's not really out loud but under my breath, through clenched teeth.

Reaction score
Much as I hate to agree with JAR...
Used to do it, and stopped because I hate it. I found I can trust my inner ear as much as my outer.
This. Except for the 'used to' part. I never have. Don't see the point and it hasn't done my writing any harm so far.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Much as I hate to agree with JAR...This. Except for the 'used to' part. I never have. Don't see the point and it hasn't done my writing any harm so far.

First, you speak Scottish, and probably can't understand yourself aloud.

Second, for what you write, you really need to get into acting it out physically.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I not only read out loud, but often physically act out described actions. Every now and then I find that something I've described is physically ridiculous or impossible.

I sketch out actions and scenes on scrap paper or graph paper while editing, sometimes, to check things like "would her back be to the door or would she be facing the door?" or "could he really see that from there." It serves the same purpose.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I've moderated a writer's group for the last six years and one of the rules is that the writer read his or her work aloud. Although some members have been reluctant to do so, everyone of them admits to the benefits of it.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I act out certain movements or scenes too, .... but meh, what's the worst that could happen? It'll show up on youtube, caught on camera by a pervy neighbor, and I'll have to crawl under a rock and die. :D
You know my neighbor, Mr.Manly-Man?!

Seriously, reading my work out loud helps me catch where the words don't flow or the dialogue is stilted.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
never full works, but I recommend it in QLH a lot; some folks are averse to commas and some are completely smitten with them, and I think reading aloud gives you a much better sense of where pauses and punctuation belong than just zipping through text on a screen.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
never full works, but I recommend it in QLH a lot; some folks are averse to commas and some are completely smitten with them, and I think reading aloud gives you a much better sense of where pauses and punctuation belong than just zipping through text on a screen.

Pauses and punctuations should follow the rules, and on the grammar and punctuation level, the most messed up manuscripts I see in slush are those where writers use punctuation based on how something sounds. It just does not work.

Commas are the real killer. Try using commas based on sound, based on when you pause when reading and you're screwed. Commas must be used by following the rules of grammar, not because it sounds like a commas should go there.

I'm not sure anything can pull an editor out of a story faster than poor comma usage. Leaving commas out when needed, or worse, inserting commas where they aren't called for, makes getting into the story extremely tough.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a period in US education which did a great disservice to students, in which teachers were required to teach the "new" grammar, which relied on native-speaker intuition--including insertion of a comma when they paused. Of course, not only do the students who learned that screw up comma usage in every way imaginable, but they don't even know the rules. The rules you and I know were never part of their curriculum. It's a significant hurdle to overcome, and absolutely essential for their work to be taken seriously.

Maryn, big fan of basic writing mechanics instruction in schools

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
At the publisher where I work, it is standard procedure to read a manuscript out loud after its initial edit. This is a group exercise, always done with multiple editors present. The number of useful changes that are identified while this is done is quite remarkable and time-intensive though it might be, it is worth it for all of the insight that is gained when we hear the text, rather than just read it.

I have also found that this works when I proof things that I have written. After writing the first draft, revising it, and proofing it, I read it out loud, alone. Lots of things in there make me wince, and they get changed.

I think other writers could benefit from doing this. Has anybody here ever tried it? Would anybody here like to try it and relate their experience with it?

I think reading your manuscript aloud is a valuable tool. I read my aloud.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Pauses and punctuations should follow the rules, and on the grammar and punctuation level, the most messed up manuscripts I see in slush are those where writers use punctuation based on how something sounds. It just does not work.

Commas are the real killer. Try using commas based on sound, based on when you pause when reading and you're screwed. Commas must be used by following the rules of grammar, not because it sounds like a commas should go there.

I'm not sure anything can pull an editor out of a story faster than poor comma usage. Leaving commas out when needed, or worse, inserting commas where they aren't called for, makes getting into the story extremely tough.

Well, I am pretty much old school. I believe a comma goes where a comma goes, and so forth with other punctuation. I am not one who likes to mess with proper punctuation, and I don't believe it should be based on sound. I realize I might be the minority here.

However, I find reading aloud helps me to hear when I have missed a word that I somehow did not pick up on hard edit, or to hear the rhythm of a sentence that might need tweaking. I don't generally read the entire story aloud, or even from begining to end, but paragraphs or even chapters I might not be sure about.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

I'm not sure I believe this about reading aloud).

I agree poor comma usage is an issue, and I don't often read myself, because i LIKE where I put my commas, and nobody has said "ummm, err, wtf are you doing with those?"

That said, I also see a number of works where there are no commas and should be, and vice versa there are some just seemingly hung at random, which i also agree is one of the most distracting things in a written work, a little like randomly hitting the breaks on a nice Sunday drive. I usually find for the ones at random especially, if you read the line out loud and pause, the break feels incredibly unnatural, and after telling people to read out loud their revisions also look much better. that said, it is entirely possible they just decided they better read up on comma usage on the side.....

Quick

authorgirl1485

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I do for all three of my revisions. (That's my magic number, apparently.) When I read it out loud, I catch most of my errors when normally I wouldn't. I think that it's a good thing to do.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I read everything to my brother. Sometimes I also use a read aloud program to listen.

I find sometimes that when I read in my head my brain inserts words that should be there and aren't. This doesn't happen when I read aloud.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I always read everything out loud, which I have advocated on various threads on AW. I now advocate it on this thread.

It is especially beneficial for finding 'flaws' in dialogue. if you can find a 'reading buddy' to read some of the dialogue with you, all's the better.

If it don't sound right, then it probably ain't right.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I always use the "text to speech" option of the kindle to proof - as it reads "all the words" not the ones I insert because my brain is reading what I "thought" I read rather than what is on the paper. A great tool!

sneakysnail

I'm about to say something stupid
Registered
Reaction score
Just to the left of normal - and no! I'm not a boy
I act out certain movements or scenes too, if I'm trying to get the feel of them to pick that one detail for description. I feel like an absolute loon doing it -- like I'm five years old again -- but meh, what's the worst that could happen? It'll show up on youtube, caught on camera by a pervy neighbor, and I'll have to crawl under a rock and die. :D
:ROFL:

I act stuff out too. I lock myself in my bedroom and read out loud (don't want the 8 and 10 year old to over hear the sex scenes) and act out stuff to make sure the action described goes with the dialogue.

Okay I don't act out the sex scenes ... Had to come back and edit that.

Last edited:

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I read each of my blog entries aloud before posting, so it's funny it never occurred to me I should do the same with my manuscripts! I'm going to have to do this from now on, since I always catch something--and usually several somethings!--when reading aloud.

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
I've never read anything I've written aloud before, but I'm trying it right now (literally, took a break from it to post this) and finding it is highlighting some places where I left out a word that my brain fills in if I read 'in my head'.

Thanks for the idea,

Focus

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I've started reading out loud on my current revision. Yeah, I find different stumbling points that way. Most frequent finds: Left out words and unattached parts of sentences that didn't get completely deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.