Agents vs Direct to Publishers, what are the real options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Just because I have mental barriers, I'm painfully shy in public, and my mother's schizophrenic and acts like a three year old who never grows up, doesn't mean I want to write about it!

I'm off for another 6 month break.

hmm, when I was in fourth grade I got to the point of holding knives on my skin, trying to will the strength to cut--I was deathly afraid of needles, but wanted to die. I had guns downstairs and only refused to use them because they were my father's, and I wanted out but was afraid to leave him with that sort of baggage, and take about the only thing he seemed to enjoy in life (hunting) from him. I went through the medicine cabinets, hoping some label would have enough information to let me know how to OD and NOt get sent to a hospital for a stomach-pumping.

I was fucked up. My parents pretty much loathed each other, and all my formative tidbits on how to have a relationship I took from them were to do a full 180 in almost every shape and shade of how one treats a spouse. I cried myself to sleep until I couldn't cry any more, and I walked around numb and vacant instead.

shhhhh, here's the paydirt--big fucking deal. Everyone has their cross--my home life sucked for awhile, I got over it. Wasn't easy, fun, or even something I was entirely in control of, but it happened. I had a friend who's dad committed suicide when I was in high school, and another who's dad was killed in an owi. I knew girls who were sexually abused, and boys who weere beaten. EVERYONE has a cross or six; what matters is HOW YOU HANDLE THEM. In your case, I'm sorry you had it tough, but you seem to want to use the cross as a crutch.

You wanted help, and folks here WANTED to give it to you--on that mark alone, you are well ahead of the game out in the real world. Stop the pollyanna routine if you don't like what you hear, as someone else mentioned you don't have to agree, disagree, or anything else, but you owe the folks here, and guess what--you owe yourself as well, if you're serious about writing and not just looking for a place to have a self-indulgent tantrum--the simple courtesy of being relatively polite, even if their answers do not juve with what you were hoping to hear.

At this point I have no idea what your book is like, but I am 99% certain your biggest enemy is your lack of self-control--say your book gets an agent but they come back and say "on page 45, I do not understand why Chucky the woodchuck masturbates into a straw hat", are you gonna go this postal on them? Guess what, back into the pool you go, minus your agent--they don't need that shit either. For now, forget the writing, I'm saying you are never going to be able to succeed until you get some modicum of control over yourself. And honestly, if you have that little self-control in personal interactions, it leaves me with serious doubts about how you propose to be able to write in the first place, as writing is as much discipliine as it is art, if not more.

Good luck, I really was trying to help you. so was everyone else. The fact you still cannot see that makes me wonder how you'd expect to be able to communicate with others via novel.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
...not even talking sparkly jellyfish? They can't help being sparklie. It's their genes.

(Are there any books told from the point of view of jellyfish? I remember a SF story told from the point of view of a barnacle. I think it was a barnacle anyway.)

Perhaps the most audacious POV choice was made by Lois Cook in The Gallant Gallstone. Fortunately, this is a fictitious book.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, Reader's Digest had the legendary series of articles "I Am Joe's.../I Am Jane's..." on the human body, written from the first person POV of the various organs/parts of the anatomy covered.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
CJ,

I'm certainly not going to use the fact that your Mom is schizophrenic or the fact that you take meds yourself as any kind of excuse for your anger; I don't give anybody that kind of leeway. If you want to deal with somebody who doesn't give a damn what kind of problems you have and who isn't going to judge you by them, deal with me.

I'm sorry that you are so hurt and upset by the comments I and other people have left for you. I'd hoped I could help with the problem in you OP. I haven't and, in retrospect, I shouldn't have got involved here given my expectation of what your reactions to my opinions would be.

I hope that you don't walk away from the boards for 6 months. It sounds like you've felt you've had to do that in the past and are now repeating the cycles of behavior which led to that event. Try something different.

It sounds like you are feeling very isolated due to your and your mother's condition. You are not alone, CJ. Please believe that.

Theo

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have wandered far afield of publishing advice. I'm going to lock this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.