• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cogwheel Press / Shift House Media

wrombola

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrombola.wix.com
The Senior editor, Desiree Finkbeiner, is also on Authonomy with a book. They haven't published anything, and clame to want to publish six titles in 2013.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".
This is why it is so hard to tell the difference between a satire of bigotry and actual bigotry.

If I'd seen that line anywhere else I would have thought it was a satire.

Maybe it still is? I'm hoping!

Mac

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
They don't like 'eurocentric faeries' either, so I won't bother submitting my m/m romance set in Cornwall's gay elf community.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Holy Molé!

Reading their submission guidelines makes me feel like I've just been scolded, shouted at. Maybe they think sounding like a punishing nun gives them legitimacy? Separate the wheat from the chaff? And as if being 'yelled at'isn't enough, I find that either their mama didn't raise them right, or they're towing the 'busy agents' line:
If we are interested in your work we will request the full manuscript within 21 days. Submissions not responded to within this period should be considered a rejection.
That's just plain bad manners. Not even the courtesy of a quick "Thank you, but no." And to think the masterminds are rejected 'authors' themselves? How quickly they forget...

Our small staff is dedicated to giving our carefully-selected authors a boost in their writing careers. We do this by providing a professional editorial revision of completed manuscripts, offering topnotch book cover design and branding, assisting with promotion and marketing, and treating our people like family.
We can't choose our family, but we can sure choose to avoid 'family' like this 'publisher'.

Beware of 'editors' soliciting from display sites!!! They've got nothing to offer anyone. And this particular 'press' leaves a huge distaste in my mouth. Blech :(

cog 1
n.
1. One of a series of teeth, as on the rim of a wheel or gear, whose engagement transmits successive motive force to a corresponding wheel or gear.
2. A cogwheel.
3. A subordinate member of an organization who performs necessary but usually minor or routine functions.

cog 2
v. cogged, cog·ging, cogs
v.tr.
To load or manipulate (dice) fraudulently.
v.intr.
To cheat, especially at dice.
n.
An instance of cheating; a swindle.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM
This. Going with a new company can be dicey because they lack a track record, and the editor doesn't appear to have a background in publishing. This means you don't know how good they are at editing, producing, marketing, and promoting books.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
From their about page:
Best of all, we stay in close contact with our people (unlike most larger publishing houses which tend to have very impersonal relationships with their writers). Team work is paramount to our authors’ success, and we know what it takes to be team players.
Why do some small presses think they have to tell lies about the big 6 in order to get submissions?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.

Apparently missing the point that not wanting gay stuff is not really the issue, listing it between satan and child abuse is.