• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta (or swap) for YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara_Jane_Wade

In Revision Hell
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkandwriting.blogspot.com
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a beta to look over my 65,000 words YA Fantasy. I'd be more than willing to swap and return the favor. Here's my query for the novel, please pm me or answer here if you're interested. Thank you!

[FONT=&quot]Daela Blackwell has no magic in her, a revelation which plunges her status from noble to the scrap on every beggar’s shoe. When she witnesses her half-brother’s kidnapping by an enemy long forgotten, no one believes her -- no one except Trey, her brother’s favorite smuggler and sometimes friend. But help is scarce, and even a coward who turned on his people’s faith to escape imprisonment is better than nothing.

With Trey as a guide, Daela tracks her brother into Ethra, the desolate world where Trey’s people have been incarcerated for centuries. There, they learn that the spell used to create Ethra has become unstable, and that the world itself is consuming its inhabitants. With death courting her every step, Daela grows closer to Trey, and realizes that neither he nor his people are the vile monsters she’d grown up believing.

But getting into Ethra was the easy part. Now they have to get out, and Daela’s escape plan is still a work in progress. To make matters worse, Daela finds out that her brother’s kidnapper plans to sacrifice him in a dark ritual that will free everyone from the lethal world. Daela must make a choice: let her brother die, or condemn a race she once despised to the same fate.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Irissel

Wandering Aimlessly Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
irissel.blogspot.com
Hello! Your novel sounds really interesting! I'd be interested in a swap. Here's my query for A Burning Remedy, my YA fantasy which is about 70,000 words:

Thera Airaldi can do something no other Healer can—heal her patients with a touch. In a society where people are burned for having such “gifts,” Thera decides to tell only her closest friend, Brandon. He insists that using her gift will send her to the Underworld, so Thera agrees not to use it. But when her country is attacked, leaving hundreds injured, she cannot watch them die knowing she has the power to save them.

When Thera completely heals a man covered in severe burns within days, the other Healers call it a miracle sent by the All-Father, but Brandon knows what really happened. He declares his friendship with Thera over and doesn’t even say goodbye before riding off to battle.

After Brandon is captured and taken into enemy territory, Thera organizes a rescue mission to save him. When William Fallon—a man whose dark eyes haunt Thera’s nightmares—insists on joining the small rescue party, Thera is shocked. William and Brandon have hated each other since childhood, so he could have no interest in seeing him safely home. Unfortunately, Thera has no choice but to accept William’s aid, but she cannot help but wonder: Will he help the mission? Or hinder it?

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sara Jane!
I'm new to this forum, having joined it because I'm getting serious about a manuscript. I don't have much of anything to share yet (maybe just some initial chapters?) but I'd like to up my credibility as a beta in the meantime!!

I just read through the sticky on beta cautions and avoiding plagiarism, that sort of thing, so I thought it might be helpful to share some details about myself. I'm a college student from New York (though I go to school in VT), majoring in History, but I've taken various creative writing workshops so I have some experience critique-ing other people's work. I promise I'm very thorough!

Anyway, I read a lot of literary fiction, but I do enjoy YA and my own WIP is YA sci-fi, so I think this could be a good fit!

Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.