The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, wait, I'm out of town and Beckstah, you leave us hanging???

Well I'll cross all my fingers for you.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hee hee! Nothing yet, pollymilton. I can see from said agent's Twitter that she's on vacation this weekend, so it's time to grab a beer, put my feet up, and relax. But thank you for asking! :D

What about you guys? Any news?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys actually Twitterstalk agents? I dropped by the Twitter feed from one of the agents who has my full to see if she updates where she's at in her slush pile, and I do sometimes blogstalk, but I've never been quite able to fully accept Twitter.

Oh and no news... 3 fulls, 2 partials out, oldest is one week and one month from the time I sent it, newest was just sent this week. The other four are around 3 weeks.

I'm batting about the idea of putting further tweaks to this manuscript aside and starting work on something new.

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do every kind of cyber stalking. Really. I will sometimes plain google and agent to see what I can come up with. I figure, they put it out there so it isn't like they don't want me reading it.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
No news for me. I had it in my mind I would hear yesterday, simply because it was my birthday. One would think I was old enough not to engage in magical thinking, but apparently not :Shrug:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Late Birthday Hathor!!!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't get an agent on my birthday, but I did get to see Ryan Reynolds in spandex...

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from an agency assistant. He read my book last night and wants to pass it to the primary at that agency (a surprise to me, since there are three agents there and one has been working less than a year) if I'll grant a two week exclusive.

Good agency with a solid record of sales to major publishers. And I thought I was an obsessive e-mail checker before!

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, DJ.

I got rejected today, I guess the agent was celebrating his independence early. Grrr.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and >hugs< for Polly. I'm pretty pumped about it. QueryTracker says they only make requests on a little over 1% of queries and they've offered rep or given revision requests to two of the eight manuscripts they've requested. Add to that the thumbs up from the assistant and the fact that he read the whole thing in one night...

You'd better have that bar-stool ready for me if this doesn't work out Syd. I'm actually going to be camping with my family on the Oregon coast around that that time.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DJ *if* you get rejected and you are out here in Oregon, I won't set up a virtual stool, I will buy you a drink :D

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
DJ, my cousins own a distillery. We can work on something!

Dan La^&ar at Writer's House agreed to look at my manu as a favor for a client. I am very nervous.

Oh, and the Oregon Coast is so fabulous. Are you by Haystack Rock?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, DJ. You sound so close.

Sorry about the R, polly -- and on a holiday weekend, too. What specifically do your cousins make? I'm always willing to try something new...

I so dislike waiting. (I'm just shy of two weeks into a three week "not quite an exclusive because other people have it already, but I won't send it to anyone else" thing.) What I'm doing now is lots of gardening. What with the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes (and seeing the sad results of deer munching things they aren't supposed to like), it takes my mind off of my writing.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Todays reject from a publisher...

I really like your pitch and your characters. Your lead character is a piece of work! I’ve talked to my managing editor, though, and she tells me that we wouldn’t be able to do anything with your book until about 2 years out – we’re just chalk full right now.

Really? I mean who does that? She read the query, the partial and the full... and honestly it never occured to her that she was too busy?

But then she goes on to say...
That she'd like me to let her know when my book comes out (I'm currently considering a few publishing contracts), to contract her directly with any future manuscripts I might have and... as a PS sidenote told me not to let another publisher change my opening paragraphs :)

So, a crappy reject kinda turns into at least a small amount of personal critique lol So not all bad. And of course the invitation to submit other works directly too her is always nice.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Alisha, that's frustrating, but congrats for all the feedback!

Also... did we randomly lose a ton of posts after July 5th?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Beckstah:

It wasn't random. There was a system crash and they had to roll back a few days to get AW back up. There are a lot of posts and some rep points missing.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
You know what's worse than revenge query? Revenge WIP. When you get a rejection and then you feel this overwhelming urge to finish a new novel asap so you can start a fresh shiny new round of queries.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, back from Oregon. Holy disaster of a trip.

Oh well, at least there wasn't any bad news.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I'm sorry the trip didn't go well, but glad there was no bad news to go with it!

Well guys, I'm out of the querying trenches - for now at least! One of my dream agents, who has been incredibly supportive from the get-go, is going to work on revisions with me. I have read stories about his epic editorial skills from some of his clients, and I am so looking forward to it. But in the meantime, I'll still be here, and I'm hoping to see good news from you guys soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.