• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Equeried Sara on August 4th, received a "Dear Author" form rejection five days later (August 9th). It was signed by all three agents. At least they were fast!

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Kristin on 8/16, got the same "dear author" yesterday (8/18)

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh samara, I've been following your story through many of the agency forums while doing research on them and I hope that you find success. I am rooting for you.

Thanks Shaba! Though sadly, I just got my rejection email from Sara... :cry:

It was short and sweet: Both Kristin and I have now had a chance to read the full. Your writing is super charming and the story is fun and unique. Unfortunately, neither of us quite fell in love enough with your narrative voice. It's tough to pin down and one of the reasons that we kept going back and forth on this work. To me, I felt like I left the book saying "I really loved reading this but not sure where I would sell it."

I've had this kind of feedback from a few agents now and it's frustrating because the manuscript is obviously coming very close to getting an offer of rep and the agents are spending a long time thinking about it, but in the end they just aren't making me that offer I need.

I wonder if the problem with the narrative voice is that it's very British (intentionally so, to make it stand out from the crowd) and maybe it's a bit too British for US agents? I've held off on submitting the work to British agents because I thought US agents might like it better (and also because most UK agents want submissions via post, while I prefer email) but maybe I got things the wrong way round? Maybe Brit agents will like it better because it's a British voice? Hmmm....

Never fear, I have a long list of agents I have yet to query, so I'll get right on that! I also have a few big-name US agents still considering the full manuscript so, you never know, it may well strike a chord with one of them instead!

Never give up, never surrender! :D

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score

It was short and sweet: Both Kristin and I have now had a chance to read the full. Your writing is super charming and the story is fun and unique. Unfortunately, neither of us quite fell in love enough with your narrative voice. It's tough to pin down and one of the reasons that we kept going back and forth on this work. To me, I felt like I left the book saying "I really loved reading this but not sure where I would sell it."

I've had this kind of feedback from a few agents now and it's frustrating because the manuscript is obviously coming very close to getting an offer of rep and the agents are spending a long time thinking about it, but in the end they just aren't making me that offer I need.

I wonder if the problem with the narrative voice is that it's very British (intentionally so, to make it stand out from the crowd) and maybe it's a bit too British for US agents? I've held off on submitting the work to British agents because I thought US agents might like it better (and also because most UK agents want submissions via post, while I prefer email) but maybe I got things the wrong way round? Maybe Brit agents will like it better because it's a British voice? Hmmm....

Never fear, I have a long list of agents I have yet to query, so I'll get right on that! I also have a few big-name US agents still considering the full manuscript so, you never know, it may well strike a chord with one of them instead!

I'm so sorry to hear that, Samara, but how wonderful to get such great feedback from Kristin and Sara! It really sounds like you just haven't found The One yet. I'm sure someone's going to love your narrative voice. Here's hoping you find them soon!

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score

Your book must be awesome, Samara! I want to read it! I hope one of the big agencies signs you soon so I can read your book sooner...because it sounds excellent!

I suppose I should update, too. I received a very kind rejection exactly three months after I sent in the full, which basically said one of the scenes in the middle of my book was unnecessary. Kristin Nelson offered to look at a revision, though, which makes me super excited! I sent her a book that's 10K words shorter, a lot tighter, and now I'm playing the waiting game again.

You couldn't ask for a more intelligent, kinder agency to correspond with. Anita's wonderful with letting you know when they've received manuscripts, and Kristin, Sara, and Anita are both encouraging and keen at seeing what needs changes. Anyway! Back to the start of the teaching year...and good luck to all of you submitting!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Yaaaay Chocolate Potato! My fingers are tightly crossed for you!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that, Samara, but how wonderful to get such great feedback from Kristin and Sara! It really sounds like you just haven't found The One yet. I'm sure someone's going to love your narrative voice. Here's hoping you find them soon!

Thanks Beckstah! I'm back to querying now, so I haven't given up. Next stop: UK agents... :D

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Your book must be awesome, Samara! I want to read it! I hope one of the big agencies signs you soon so I can read your book sooner...because it sounds excellent!

I suppose I should update, too. I received a very kind rejection exactly three months after I sent in the full, which basically said one of the scenes in the middle of my book was unnecessary. Kristin Nelson offered to look at a revision, though, which makes me super excited! I sent her a book that's 10K words shorter, a lot tighter, and now I'm playing the waiting game again.

You couldn't ask for a more intelligent, kinder agency to correspond with. Anita's wonderful with letting you know when they've received manuscripts, and Kristin, Sara, and Anita are both encouraging and keen at seeing what needs changes. Anyway! Back to the start of the teaching year...and good luck to all of you submitting!

Aww, thanks CP! :D

I agree with everything you said about the Nelson Literary Agency - they seem like they'd be wonderful to work with and I wsh you much luck with your revised manuscript! :)

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Recent Query

Anyone query them lately? What's the average turnaround time?

I sent a query August 14 for my historical fiction "The Dugout in the Basement" and had a form letter response on August 16. This is for my first book, and is the first query I have ever sent. Though disappointed, I was glad I received such a quick response.
Bryan

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I rather hope they love it too.... *chews fingernails*

Good luck, Glassfingers! I hope your fingernails aren't glass, too, or be careful with the nail biting... :D

I'm with you, though. And I'd think a speedy request for a full is always a good sign!

Glassfingers_93

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scathingjellyfish.blogspot.com
Good luck, Glassfingers! I hope your fingernails aren't glass, too, or be careful with the nail biting... :D

I'm with you, though. And I'd think a speedy request for a full is always a good sign!

Thanks, Chocolate Potato!!! I just got an offer of representation from them, so after a lengthy bout of running around screaming, I'm now freaking out over "the call". Anywobble... Best of luck on your full! Maybe we'll randomly become agency buddies. :)

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chocolate Potato!!! I just got an offer of representation from them, so after a lengthy bout of running around screaming, I'm now freaking out over "the call". Anywobble... Best of luck on your full! Maybe we'll randomly become agency buddies. :)

Wow, Glassfingers. CONGRATULATIONS! You'll have to tell me the name of your book so I can read it!

I want to type too many exclamation points, but I'll settle for another :D. Yay you!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Glassfingers! That's amazing!